Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Developments in Malahide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grahamdotnolan

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Big money (likely) for a council estate

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gscott90

How is there no regulation which prevents developers from robbing home buyers? 780k for a 4 bedroom semi is extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

That's the price set by the market. If they don't sell, the price will fall.

I've seen old 3 bed semis on St Margaret's road for sale for around 950k. These houses would need work to bring up to modern standards. So 800k for a new build 4 need semi would seem better value in comparison.

A developer will charge what he thinks he'll get for it, and then that could go up or down over time depending on the market, and the developer's circumstances

Got a call from the EA on these, trying to feel out prices. Said low to mid 800s on the 4-beds and mid 600s on 3 beds which is naturally very steep for the size of them. Prices not finalised but will be in a few days. Ringing around to gather interest.

More concerning is the fact that the apartments haven’t launched and there is no talk on them, which indicates bulk sale to vulture fund which would then rent the lot to the council.

850k for a council estate even in this market seems excessive so I passed. No apartment blocks in next phases of Brookfield, Ashwood or Oak Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 grahamdotnolan

Thanks for the update - Low to Mid 800k on the semi-d 4 beds or detached?

Semi-d

Got an email yesterday to say the first phase of Oak Park was launching on 14th October

3-beds 615k plus, 4-beds 765k plus but falls outside school catchment area so though sell

I think they fall into the catchment area for Nicholas of Myra primary school in Kinsealy, but don't know what the secondary school would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Wizkid 2000

Not true. This new estate is in the Malahide catchment area for primary and secondary schools.

It is True! Kinsealy lane is outside catchment area of St Sylvesters & Oliver Plunkett. We’ve rang the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

This was exactly my thinking and then I bought in Portmarnock. The village isn't that great but I fully expect that I can get to Gibneys to meet my Seabury friends quicker than they can as the dart is only 4 mins

This is on Malahide Community Schools website as of June 2021.

I mentioned the primary schools, St Sylvesters & Oliver Plunkett. I accept your point on the secondary school, the community college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnaED

Best of luck getting a place in Malahide Community School if the child hasn’t attended the local (feeder) primary schools. Well oversubscribed!

Oh sorry, I just presumed Oliver Plunkett's would have the same catchment area as Scoil Iosa as they're so closely aligned to each other. Terrible that people are struggling to get kids into schools. Rumours are that they're building a new school beside Brookfield on the back road beside the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Hi all,

Interesting reading through this thread having become interested in the Brookfield/Ashwood development. By way of update, I was in touch with a couple of agents re: Brookfield. A 4 bed semi-d, c. 1400 sq ft which is due for completion next summer, being offered for EUR770k...........being sold from plan and this one came up. They were asking EUR699k around 12 months ago. A 4 bed detached at c. 1900 sq ft offered at EUR995k......option to get attic converted for a price of EUR1.005m.

I went down for a peek today out of interest. I must confess I do like the houses - appear to be well finished but there is a sense that the further into the current development you get (that is to say, the sites that are under construction), the more of an slightly overdeveloped feel it has. I'm not sure what else is planned but if feels like a bit of an overcrowd.......mind you, for density purposes, I know that planning regs sort of force this scenario.

Anyway, I digress.......prices above - very toppy I'd say. All units appear to have been bought up so far but it's hard to know that if you're spending anywhere between late 700's and the guts of EUR1m, that they'll hold that kind of value?

The market has been crazy over the last 12 months +.............the overinflation of prices in Malahide in particular over the last 6-8 months in some instances has been scandalous however if people will pay..........I just feel a correction of some sort has to happen (not a crash by any means or even close to it but some form of correction).

It was mentioned earlier in the posts re: banks standing over valuations......I know first hand that banks are starting to looking more closely at this aspect along with the fact that agents are also less willing of late to actually put their name to some of these OTT valuations.

Interesting times ahead.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

Does Ashwood hall still have houses for sale?

Any word if they are selling well or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭bilbot79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 SchruteFarms

Hi All,

Just bumping this thread again! I am thinking of buying in Oak Park, Malahide. Is there anyone who bought in the last phase? What is your thought on the area? How are the homes?

I could see that the train station is about 30 mins walk. How do you find the commute to city centre?

Are those houses occupied yet? Didn't think they were

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SchruteFarms

Good point! I though they were.

In that case, has anyone bought in Oak Park? Maybe share your thought process of choosing Oak Park. The property is a bit far away from Public transport. Closest bus stop is approx 1km and the train station is about 2km (unless there is short cut from Malahide castle park)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sharkufc

I was looking into the Brookfield estate and I wonder if someone has any feedback on the area?

Also I've noticed the dart is a bit far and there are no buses on the back road. are you aware of any expansion plan?

What about social housing? I haven't found anything on this matter in the area

I'd say it's about 25 mins walk to the Dart depending where you are in the estate. For me that doesn't qualify as 'close to the dart' but if you were into fold up bikes it'd be no bother

thanks! do you know anything about the other questions?

Fraid not. I freaked at the distance from the Dart and bought in Portmarnock 5 mins from the train instead. Isn't there some 'Part V' rule where something like 10% of new developments have to be social?

yeah that's what I know but haven't seen a social house around there

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭feelings

Next area for development down that area Brookfield/Ashwood/Kinsealy lane etc just recently lodged for planning permission. https://www.broomfieldshd.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cristinayang

I was looking at Brookfield, location is great but with the new runway in the airport opening in October it looks like the estate will be right under the flight path. I’m worried it’ll be too noisy.

Advertisement