Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions and Covid still on the increase - ??

• 14-10-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭

So, long story short - Mum (80) was in a nursing home - Dad (83) living at home with 2 brothers.

Dad got Covid (had no idea he had it till he was admitted to hospital - couldn't walk - hence admission - didn't have classic Covid symptoms).. then Mum got sick - admitted to hospital - tested + for Covid - had a cardiac arrest and passed away a few days later. Turns out one of my brother's at home was sick but would not get tested - said it was a cold apparently.. Dad believed him.. he tested +ve when he eventually went for a test (both parent's in hospital at this stage). I only learnt of him being sick when Dad went into hospital.

Both parent's wer fully vaccinated. Dad still in hospital 1 mth later and v poorly.

So, would seem that my parent's lost their immunity about 9 mths after vaccination.. boosters only been given since last week afaik..

But in the news, hearing about rising numbers of Covid cases but plans to relax restrictions further.. there is no mention of the fact that the elderly/vulnerable need boosters now.. obviously they are at risk - I am sure my parent's are not the only ones in this position.

Seems like a juxtaposition to me.. surely restrictions should not be eased until boosters are administered?

I don't get it.. thoughts? (would appreciate factual replies) TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Boosters are currently being given out. While I am sorry to hear about your situation, we can't keep the country locked down forever. Its not the opening of things that are causing the issues, its the behaviour of people not getting tested and not isolating is causing the issue.

Other European countries are fully open, less vaccinated than us and their number of cases are a fraction of ours.

The good news though, is that our hospital numbers are one of the lowest in Europe, so vaccines are working.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It seems that the first wave of vaccinations are now expiring. So we are going to have to roll out boosters at the same impressive rate as first time around, to keep the 90% rate.

It will be difficult to maintain this, given more emphasis on vaccines to third world countries. It is foolish to lift restrictions. A roll back of previous lifted restrictions should happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

So basically what you are suggesting is that we should have permanent restrictions because by the time we hand boosters out to everyone this time next year, the first wave of vaccines will be expiring again, and on it goes??

Not a viable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Unfortunately these things do happen and will continue to happen, covid is just another virus to kill us, i suppose we all know deep down if one thing dosent get us like heart disease or cancer something else will, no one gets out alive. time to keep moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Really very sorry to hear of the death of your Mum and poorly condition of your Dad.

It becoming more evident a third vaccine is pretty much essential for adequate immunity and likely with annual boosters. Other diseases have needed tweaking of vaccine regimens to get it right, so no surprise about Covid.

Condolences on your bereavement and hope your Dad might either recover or find some comfort in his suffering.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Shield your Dad, I don’t see why the vast majority of the population who are at little to no risk of ending up in a bad way after covid (reduced even further considering vast majority are vaccinated) should suffer to accommodate a tiny percentage of the population. We all have done our bit.

Advertisement