Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car charging strategy

Options
  • 13-10-2021 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I'm wondering if there's a better way to charge my car.

I have a charging point at home (Wallbox Pulsar 32 amp) to go with my eNero (62kw) and it was suggested to me that there may be a strategy to preserve the battery.

Is it better to let the battery deplete to about 30% and then let it charge overnight or is there no reason not to connect it to the charger every evening (say about 75%).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The general consensus is to charge as often as you like and keep in the 20% to 80% range, nothing wrong with going outside these parameters as long as car not left static for long period of time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah a lot of cars are now coming with charge limiters that'll stop charging before 100%. VW cars for example have the default max charge set to 80%

In general if you don't need to charge to 100% then you should try to stop the charge early. If you do need to charge to 100% for a long journey then do so the night before so the car isn't sitting there with a full battery for a long time

There is a recommendation that you let the charge drop down to 20-30% before charging to preserve the battery. The problem with this is that it may limit your range if you need the car for an unexpected journey (e.g. trip to the hospital)

Personally I charge my car on a Friday when it's usuually around 40% remaining. I've got the charge limiter set to 80%

My mileage is quite low at the moment, so obviosuly the more you drive the more you'll be charging

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭innrain

SOC for the last 30 days Tesla LR. By default is limited for "day to day" driving @90%

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Hmmmm I was really hoping to get 🙄 response telling me there was no downside to keeping it fully charged; as in, "Of course you charge it fully. Why do anything else?"

Now it looks like I need to eat crow & tell my wife she may have a point after all.

So is the consensus to charge it every night but set it's automatic limiter to never charge beyond 85 or 90%, or just charge weekly (to the 85% or 90% limit).

edit:

At least ome person seems to follow this strategy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I set mine to charge to 80% during the week, but at the weekend might increase to 85-90% if I’m expecting to do a bit of driving… of course to 95-100% if going on a trip.

I used to only plug it in during the week if it was less than 50%, but have since changed that to 40%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I charge mine to 100% almost every night. Usually it's a 20-40% when I plug it it. It's made no difference whatsoever to the battery that I can tell. Have had the car about 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I know a lad who does the same with their id3 first edition, charges to 100% every few days since the day he bought it.

Does this make a real difference to the battery life, is there any long term data on the effects of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I have a BMW i3 currently. Used to have a 24kw leaf before that. Originally set the charge to 80% but gave up on that and charged to 100%.

Again didn't notice anything really. There's other folks on here with a much more detailed knowledge but personally on real world experience I think it makes a negligible difference. Maybe after 6/7 years you might have less range than a more managed battery but sure it'd be time to change then anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well how often you plug in depends on how much you drive. If you need to charge every night then go ahead

Personally if I'm at 75% and the limit is set to 80% then I wouldn't bother plugging in unless I need to

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement