Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a warrenty worth it?

• 13-10-2021 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, picking up a 171 car tomorrow its an import

Semi dealer giving me 3 months warrenty on engine and gear box but told me if I wanted to I could buy a 1 year or 2 year one

1 year costing a little over 500 and the 2 year a little over 600.

Is it worth going for these? Or do I have any comeback without them if the 3 months expires.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What does the warranty cover? Is it just an extension of the engine and gearbox warranty, if so I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 3 month engine and gearbox warranty on a car that is only 4 years old is rather lame. I bet the extended warranty is probably one of those 3rd party insurance warranties from the likes of carprotect or mapfree too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

The 3 month only covers engine and gearbox. That's covered by the semi dealer, the 1 year or 2 year is covered by a third party and covers a good bit more except wear and tear obviously.

The cars an import and gas 160k on the clock. The test drive felt fine but I'd be worried if it will crap out on me in 4months time haha

Yup your right it's a 3rd party one

Read the terms and conditions of the 3rd party warranty especially around the warranty exclusions. These 3rd party warranties usually have plenty of them. Any dealer selling a 4 year old car and only standing over the engine and gearbox for 3 months tells me they don't have much confidence in it either.

3 months warrenty seems to be their policy on all cars regardless of year. They gave me a booklet so il read it tonight but the 3rd party one definitely covers more then their own 3months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Depends. If it's a Japanese or Korean car you won't need a warranty. If it's VAG or GM then you probably will.

But a 3 month warranty on a 4 year old car? I'd be running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goochy

I would get a mechanic to check over car and forget about warranty . Had the car a full service history ?

Car has full service history all checked out fine.

Its an audi a5 2.0 diesel by the way. Not sure how good them engines are I heard sometimes there are electrical faults?

History check all good as well.

The semi dealer has very good reviews and is well known so I'm not suspicious of anything they have Been around years. But 3months seems to be standard policy I might go for the 1 year just for piece of mind

Lol, if only the first bit were true.

Plenty of dealers out there will give a proper 12 month warranty with a 4 year old car. The reason I'd say your only getting 3 months is because of the mileage on the car. If your looking at the cheapest examples of that year then that's what you will encounter.

Price wise it's probably middle of the pack for the year, high spec high mileage xD il get the warrenty for the year.

Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Mapfre and other third party warranties are Pointless.. had a car before and wouldn’t even cover turbo that blew afew weeks after purchase… wish washy warranties

as has been said before .dont think it being a SIMI dealer means everything will be ok - thats like thinking a pub isnt rough cause they are in the Vintners association.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not necessarily. A garage that only offers 3 months driveline as a rule and pushes 3rd party cover is more likely to be a place that simply doesn't want the hassle of people coming back to them with workshop issues. Make it somebody elses problem is a valid strategy sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Dealer will get at least 30% commission on the warranty, possibly a lot more.

Then if you have to claim, you will be put though hoops.

They are like the sh1t warranties that currys do hard-sell on and where the sales person gets huge commission.

Is it 160,000 miles or 160,000 km - either way check that the timing belt has been replaced as otherwise your first service will be expensive.

Its 160000km, the 3rd party cover is car protect I've heard there pretty ok to deal with

The car has just been fully serviced with a new timing belt so all ok there thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Reviews are dreadful for them - and like any of these warranty schemes they will only pay out if you absolutely 100% conform to their extensive terms and conditions. https://www.reviewcentre.com/breakdown_cover/car_protect_insurance_wwwcarprotectcouk-reviews_2307341

With the timing belt done it would suggest a good service history and 160k km is not excessive for the build quality of the audi and would suggest a lot of motorway miles. So I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Thread title should be is this car worth buying.

Honestly i'd pass on the idea of a 5 year old A5 with 160k kms in general if the only two warranty options are 3 months in house or a Mapfre style policy. Those are the hallmarks or a dealer who doesn't want to see you again once you are out the front gate.

A recipe to get yourself burnt. That's the sort of car you'd want to be buying from a main dealer with a year or twos good cover on it.

Basically anything that can and will go on that car, particularly if it's an auto box will be a four figure sum to repair and Audi build quality my eye, a nice car to sit in and drive but every link arm and bush will be hanging from it at that mileage unless they've already been done, "motorway mileage" or not. Timing belt due at 210k kms.

If you have a few bob to throw at the car then go ahead. Otherwise, i'd hold off.

put 500 quid in a kitty for repairs and get a mechanic to inspect.

can the OP give us a hint where the dealer is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭User1998

Just letting you know they are marking up the price of the warranty. If you are going to get an extended warranty try get it for €300.

€500 is too much imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Are the newer ones that bad?

Ive a 2009 A4 with 400k km done

2 bump stops, 1 broken spring in the back, 1 tie rod is all its ever needed.

Most of that was done in the last 20kkm.

I know the car from day 1 and have done the last 250kkm myself so its genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, look they'll go and go, 400k would be no big deal to one but i wouldn't plan on getting next nor near that without one or two big investments.

Mileage isn't a limitation to modern car in my opinion, most will go and go and go if they get any degree of servicing but something like a VAG product will develop an appetite for suspension components as even your older, less complex (i assume well driven) model has shown. That and they are never too far from something expensive letting go.

I mean a car like OP is talking about compared to your own will have adblue which is an entire system of unreliability, 2 EGR coolers, 4 different coolant pumps and infinitely more electronics and control units.

OP's new car may never give a minutes bother and i'm sure plenty dont but to accept 3 months warranty or a **** aftermarket insurance policy designed not to pay out with the mindset that just because the car is still expensive to buy, meaning it must be as dependable as a 90's Toyota Corolla is nothing short of foolish.

If it needs an adblue injector, it'll be a grand, if the radio breaks, that'll be a grand, if an EGR cooler fails, that'll be a grand, if the gearbox control unit fails, that'll be two grand. It's the sort of car that if a dipped headlight stops working it'll be €100, unless it has halongens, which is a sin.

Not saying dont buy it or dont buy one in general they are a nice car, but do protect yourself for as long as possible on an investment that size and let me tell you a 3 month warranty or an option to buy a Mapfre on a car that i assume is fresh off the ferry, that the dealer doesn't know is a discreet advertisement to the fact that they dont do aftersales care.

Late model ex uk high mileage cars appear great value but if you are planning to add decent kms to that high mileage it becomes a false economy.

know people who bought high mileage uk cars - not as recent as ops - a Merc. c class and a Volvo V50 - and both cost a fortune in repairs.

Advertisement