Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Sligo

• 07-10-2021 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Thinking about moving to Sligo (single, no family) for the outdoor lifestyle and nice place to live.

Are there any areas to avoid when looking to buy a house?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Sligo prices have jumped significantly for buying.

Rental options are severely limited with availability at this time. (only a few current daft listings)

If you drive, this will give options for outside of the town.

If working in town, being north or south affects where to locate.

Strandhill road area is very desireable

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

I'm looking to buy and do drive.

I've read mixed reports about some areas of the town itself but not sure what they're like now?

I take it there's significant traffic volume differences between north and south of town?

I am also considering Collooney and Boyle as they're on the train line.

Do you know much about those towns?

Good road straight from Boyle to Sligo now but if you like the sea, living in Boyle will be further away in the long run. Also Boyle would be quiet enough esp in winter - if not a local I wouldn't be buying there. (IMO)

Collooney prices have not increased as much as Sligo town itself. It's a bit over populated but is a good road & only a few min into town. Has the basic amenities on the doorstep - some area's aren't as nice as others, a drive around will show them quick enough. Coolaney is also popular & not far from Collooney, prices are similar but more a village feel. Might be a bit isolated if you like nightlife (Taxi in & out of town is probably not ideal)

If your looking to rent rooms etc, then Sligo town would be the most desirable (in demand). House in rathedmond on daft at the moment & has a side annex. Great location.

Congestion in Sligo town can be very heavy at times, esp if trying to get from riverside/doorly park over to the hospital side by car. Proposal for another bridge at doorly park but construction has not started. This should open up that side of town better. Lidl are also redeveloping their site. Dunnes & Aldi are also close by.

I would avoid Rathbraughan area altogether. (Cheaper houses but for a reason)

That's the one. Prob go alot higher but might be worth having a look anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

You mentioned rental demand - do you have any idea how much the apartment would rent for per month?

Also, what other areas are good (or which ones to avoid, if easier)?

Thanks again

I know a 1-bed is being rented for 700pm very nearby.

Only area I would avoid is Rathbraughan, anywhere else should be considered on it's own merits.

Advertisement