Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Owen Keegan, DCC manager, sneers at homeless students

• 11-10-2021 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

What do people think of his sarcastic and disdainful tone, in a letter to the president of UCD student union, Ruairí Power, who had expressed concern that purpose-built student accommodation (571 units, I believe- on Arran Quay) had been given permission to be turned into short-term holiday lets until May 2022?

I mean, not to ask a leading question or anything, but I hope this leads to the resignation of Keegan, who seems completely out of touch with the everyday problems faced by Dubliners. Just sick of every last one of the sneering overprivileged goons who rule over us. Also how was he able to unilaterally extend his own contract by 3 years? Guess lots of people would do the same if they were on €190k, despite having major shortcomings and a lack of basic human empathy.

Comments

Keegan has been an out of touch pr!ck for years. Resignation? He's an untouchable. Think John Delaney but on a much wider scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Where is the full letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This is the guy who set the policy of DCC to remove bins and toilets from the city centre because people might use them. He is the very antithesis of public service, everything he does is towards his own self serving agenda. He left Dun Laoighaire as a shell of town when he moved to DCC, ironically it took covid for them to be able to fully wipe the slate clean of his idiotic policies and they are now finally turning the place around but it will take years to get back to where they should have been if it wasnt for him.

Sure he approved his own contract to be extended by 3 years.... in what world should a public servant be able to decide this?

Hopefully this finally gets him shifted out of his throne in DCC but im not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

First of all i think the comment in the letter is a disgrace but if the Union have the funds why not. I assume Mr Keegan knows what he talking about to make a statement like that...

The powers that be will do as they please as we are a greedy people (all of us) then when its too late we complain. Vulture funds have being buying up properties in this Country for about 5 years and its only in recent months it became a political topic. At the same time this was being debated NAMA (a state agency) sold a large number of apartments to a British fund. Why were the Union not talking about it when one company bought 300+ apartments in west Dublin 3 years ago, around the same time there was a whole housing estate sold to a fund around Lepardstown to a fund. These developments should have been pickets put on these to ensure they were sold to families who wanted to buy homes. I said it here at the time in a thread (cuckoo properties) and basically i was told to keep quiet. This ship has sailed and not huch point in complaining when the damage has already being done...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Haha, UCDSU is being schooled here, and it looks like they deserve it.

Is it true that UCDSU did not submit any submissions when this was going to planning? If not, why not?

They are coming across as reactionary amateurs, if so.

UCDSU should take this on the chin and learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I haven't seen the SU letter to which this is a reply, but taken in isolation Keegan's comment looks odd. If there were excess profits to be made in the PBSA ("purpose built student accommodation") market, developers would hardly be looking for change-of-use to take their properties out of that market and into the short-stay tourism market. The Union's point is much more likely to have been that developers are attracted by excess profits in the short-stay tourism market, surely?

Aside from that, Keegan's comment is mean-spirited and stupid. Excess profits in any market are only available to those with capital to invest in that market; the whole objection to excess profits is that they are the result of a market distortion which operates to transfer wealth from customers/consumers to capitalists. The SU, as a not-for-profit student body, represents and advocates for the customer/consumer stakeholders, not the capitalists. Keegan is not so stupid as to not understand this, so I take his comment to be a sneer, and a nasty one, suggesting that the Union is wasting its time advocating for customers/consumers, and should align itself with the capitalists who benefit from excess profits.

It gives the impression that it has never crossed Keegan's mind that there might be anything wrong with excess profits, or that anyone else might think that there was.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Because those weren't student accommodation.

From reading the full letter, it seems that Keegan is saying that the students' union is not allowed to criticise the decision to make student accommodation available to students because they didn't hang about the site, keeping an eye out for planning notices, and didn't scour any of the national newspapers classified ads for notices. Leaving aside the now tiny circulation of the papers and that any with a national circulation could be used, who would expect that student accommodation would have an application for change of use put through, never mind approved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why didn’t the student union object?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

From what I read it was brought to a vote and all parties kept him in the role.

How likely are they have been aware of the application in time to object?

From Dublin City Councils website

• ”A copy of the public site notice: The site notice isshould be placed on site for five weeks from the date of receipt of the planning application. You must replace the site notice if it becomes illegible or is removed, as failure to do so may invalidate your application. The site notice must be located where the site meets the public road and should be clearly visible to members of the public”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,200 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's very easy for people to not notice when site notices have been erected, especially in urban areas. Yes, they have to be put in specific places, but you're talking about a piece of A4 paper stuck on a wall or a gate. Very easy to walk past and not read. Likewise, there are numerous papers the newspaper notice could have been in and a Student Union aren't responsible for trying to read all of them every day.

Regardless, just because someone doesn't object, doesn't mean "Everyone's fine with it, plough ahead". The planners still have to make a decision based on what's in the public interest, which means they would have had to have considered the detrimental effects granting the application would have on student housing regardless of whether or not the student union made an objection saying "Please consider the detrimental effects granting the application would have on student housing." Which means it's very likely that even if the student union did object, it likely would have been granted anyway (though the student union could then object to An Bord Pleanala, slowing the process down etc).

Owen Keegan is completely in the wrong here, and not just for his attitude. But it's his attitude that shows his position has to now be strongly considered and assessed by those with the power to remove him.

Are there copies available online of all the correspondence between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭KildareP

Suspect there may be more to this than one side of what appears to be a lengthy back and forward exchange.

They really don't do themselves any favours by virtue of the fact they didn't object when they had the chance.

As far as planning is concerned, if you don't make a submission you quite literally have no right to later complain or appeal if it does not go in your favour.

You don't have to hang around sites or scour newspapers, every county council must publish all planning correspondence online on their website.

A quick search every week or two of the local authority's planning portal would have shown the application going up with several weeks before submissions close to put in a response.

There are even free services out there that will do that search automatically for you and send you an e-mail as soon as something gets added.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This Man has thrived on controversy for many, many, many years, from his time in Dun Laoghaire until now , I doubt a year has gone by were he hasn't stirred a hornets nest with comments and opinions.

He'll give this latest controversy less time than it took to write the letter, he seems determined to be the Michael O Leary of local government. Politicians will huff and puff, there'll be outrage expressed from all quarters, Keegan won't give a toss, never has and He'll retain his position until such time he decides to retire all the while having a smirk on his face.

Untouchable, Unaccountable and most definitely, unapologetic.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So Ruairí Power is whinging about some planning that they never bothered objecting to when the opportunity was there, Keegan appears to be correcting him on some simple points of fact, and since Powers has no valid answer his response is to share that correspondence with the media?

Its not Keegan who is coming off as a dick there.

Are UCDSU expected to have been monitoring a site in Smithfield to see if a planning notice for an unexpected change of use would be posted?

Well the Minister for Housing disagrees with you, as he has already said this change in planning should not have been permitted and instructed all Councils no other such applications should be approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

All accommodation within Keegan's remit is part of this discussion for me...

I cannot understand how student accommodation was changed without the knowledge of the union... this is all on-line...

Also is this temporary and will revert in May...

For purpose built student accommodation (likely built with tax breaks), how would anyone expect to need to monitor DCC's website to make sure that there isn't any change of use applications to change it over to Air BnB? And how could that have gotten permission, even without an objection? Is there a need for short term accommodation for tourists during a global pandemic? Is the need so great that it is more important than the shortage of accommodation of the type that the building was specifically constructed (and granted planning permission) for?

Ffs even the actual minister with responsibility for housing said what happened with the change in planning was unacceptable and still we have posters in here licking boot.

That's the Minister for Housing overriding the planning system and it's processes.

Don't get me wrong the planning system in this country is dysfunctional in many ways but there is a process here.

If everyone could complain retrospectively about planning applications then absolutely nothing would get built in this country.

Sort of like certain parties lambasting the government about a shortage of housing whilst simultaneously objecting against the granting of planning permission for housing.

And based on the track record of how the Housing Minister(s) has handled the rental crisis, expect his department to make a complete hash of this too.

"But the plans were on display…”

“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”

“That’s the display department.”

“With a flashlight.”

“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”

“So had the stairs.”

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”

“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

View or Search Planning Applications | Dublin City Council

And if you'd rather not Search once a week then:

MapAlerter.ie // Free Text Alert Service for Irish Council Issues - MapAlerter, Free Text Alert for Irish Council Issues (water, planning, roads)

Takes all of 5 minutes to set up, I did it when I moved to my present area 5 years ago and every planning application that goes up gets e-mailed automatically to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd assume that anyone who saw that advertised and planned and permitted purpose built 'student accommodation' designed specifically for purpose in its entire layout and most likely benefiting from tax breaks would have needed to be monitoring. On what metric this change got clearance is astounding I'm personally trying to understand how this was allowed. Did it go to a vote ? Councilors if they were involved should have to publically explain their thinking .

This is subversion of the planning process.

I haven’t a notion. Don’t get me wrong, a change to the use of the building which covered 2 semesters should never have been granted. I may have tuned out of all the covid stuff a long time ago but even I was aware that getting students back to their classrooms was always happening.

Id just like to see the full correspondence between both parties. Were they getting digs in at each other prior to the above letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You can't expect a student union to do some actual legwork!!

Advertisement