Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roadworks Stop and Go signs

Options
  • 09-10-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was driving today in a roadworks area that has manually managed Stop and Go signs. Before I reach the sign, it was changed from Go to Stop, however the man waived to the car in front of me to proceed even after he changed the sign to stop and I followed that car. He was not happy that I followed that car and was pointing to the Stop sign. I didn't cause any issues because the cars from the other side had the Stop sign which is only changed to "Go" after all cars clear the road.

My question is the following: Are these Stop/Go signs at roadworks treated the same as the regular traffic lights/stop signs, and if so, can they also incur penalty points if Gardai are involved?

Thanks

Post edited by Amouar on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They have no legal basis so I can't imagine any fine etc. holding up to scrutiny. Also, most of the STOP signs don't conform to the required hexagonal shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Incorrect, they have statutory footing, it is an offence to ignore them, you can be fined and they are the correct prescribed shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Amouar

I can't seem to find details about fines related to temporary roadwork signs like these Stop and Go signs. Are these then treated like a normal Stop sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It would not be the same as breaking a red light, however if seen / reported and action taken, the charge of driving without due care / carless driving / dangerous driving could be issued.

All of these stop/go systems have applied for and obtained permission from the local council and published and have a statutory standing.

You can read most of them on council websites.

Why would the "charge of driving without due care / carless driving / dangerous driving" apply here given that the cars on the other end have a stop sign which is only changed to green by the operator when the road is clear? basically it was not causing any obstruction and cars were still driving in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Presumably if you were driving with due care and attention, you would have obeyed the traffic sign and stopped.

As explained above, the car in front of me was asked to proceed even with the Stop sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

"Without due care" would be the most likely offence if it was witnessed. Its a catch all offence gardai use when there is no specific offence on the statute

What if everybody followed you, ignored the stop sign, with that logic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Roadworks, gardai, lolly pop lady can all stop traffic as pre legislation. Funnily enough, a truck helper, jumping out and stopping traffic to assist the driver reverse is not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭zg3409

Road works rules were tightened a few years ago after a few serious incidents such as a school bus ending on its side. I expect there is rules, laws and training required by anyone operating a stop go system. As others have said there is a Garda catch all if something happens.

I have seen all sorts of crazy things at roadworks from cars tearing through very very red lights to guys waving people through stop signs as they are too lazy to turn the sign around. Worst is side roads un manned where cars join mid road works and may head either way without knowledge of the signs or lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Saw this very thing at the weekend on the N17 in tubbercurry, camper & car ignored the guy with the temp 'stop' sign & drove on through - Had to stop around the corner anyway as it was where the roadworks were! (Muppets)

(Only a min from the garda station too if it came to that!)

Really just because the car in front does something, doesn't mean it's ok for the next car to do the same.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Temporary traffic management signage has the exact same standing as any other roadside sign.

A circular stop sign is RUS060 Vs the regular pole mounted hexagonal one, RUS027. Both regulatory signs with equal meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The fine comes under the general penalty of S102 of the Road Traffic Act 1961.

The offence is contrary to S35 of the Road Traffic Act 1994 for failing to stop at a roadworks stop sign under S6 of the Road Traffic (Control of Traffic) Regulations 2006, and for anyone wondering the signs are correct shape as prescribed under the Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations 2006.

For the offence to apply the person operating the stop/go sign must be either:-

1. A person who is authorised by a direction given to the person by the local authority concerned,

2. A person acting with the consent of the road authority concerned, or

3. A person acting in accordance with a traffic management plan that has been approved by the road authority concerned.

Which pretty much covers most road works on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Interesting one I encountered a while ago where workers were just setting up bollards/signs/lanes etc. for some late night resurfacing.

It was a busy (even at night), 4 way junction, with working traffic lights. The traffic lights turned red as I approached them. I stopped. I could see the reflection of the crossing traffic's lights across the junction - they were obviously green. Any traffic approaching from either side, at 90 degrees to me, could proceed.

There were no workers directing traffic or temporary stop signs anywhere, just workers busy moving bollards, getting set up for the night's work.

So one, presumably designated to manage traffic, approached me & verbally shouted at me to "drive on". I gestured to the red light in front of me. He didn't take that too well & basically blew a gasket!

He had no stop sign, there were no temporary lights, he didn't signal. He just shouted.

I waited & he went apoplectic. Just before my light went green, a car drove through the junction, quite quickly, likely accelerating to fly through on amber. If I had went through my red light, when verbally told to, I could have ended up being t-boned by a car travelling legally, through a junction, on a green light.

People in charge of animals too, can control traffic, though I've never seen a red stop sign, whether octagonal or round, on a cow's rear end 😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

A Stop Go board for traffic management is supposed to be round.

The stop go man isn't doing his job properly. he is supposed to use the sign to control the traffic. Beckoning and waving on traffic is a big no-no for temporary traffic manamgent. But they do it. Cos a lot of labourers are near imbeciles and any amount of training or instruction goes in one ear and out the other with very little of it lodging in between.

Control of roadworks is a very particular field and there are codes of practice around it. However, most contractors just disregard it mostly and use all sorts of ad-hoc methods just to suit themselves.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have often seen those controlling animals on a bike with a flag, in some places this is regular daily /twice daily milking activity. Sometimes fixed signs (diy by farmers) are placed at nearby bends to warn road is regularly blocked by animals.

Advertisement