Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New BMW 2 Series

• 06-10-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Active Tourer,

I honestly did not think it would get a 2nd generation the way the market has gone away from MPVs to SUVs Fair play to BMW bringing out a new MPV in a declining sector it's good to see.

I think it looks very good and while that grill is still too big and quiet vulgar it is not as bad as it is on some of there recent SUVs and saloons.

The dash looks very classy and nice for a digital age car too just a pity everything is via the touchscreen.

I hope this does well for BMW.

I always thought the first gen looked very classy both inside and out.

I wonder will the 2nd gen get a a 7 seater version too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by AMKC on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Abit more respectable than the previous one.

You would still need to be mad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why? Can't be any more mad than all the people who buy SUVs even do they do not need them. I get why a lot of people do buy them but for most an MPV would have done the just as good or even better.

I was disapointed when the old fellow changed from an MPV to an SUV but it was his choice.

If I could get him back in an MPV again a 5 seater one or an Electric car I would but not sure he would spend the money needed for an EV6 or an Ionic or want the hassle tryibg to get used to it all being in his 70s. But then a friend of mines sister just changed from a diesel Skoda Octavia to a New Nissan Leaf and loves it and she is in her late 60s.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another oversized pointless grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When AKMC says something is “classy” you can be assured it’s a monstrous pile of shite

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wow,that's is a stunningly horrible car with the best of no worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ugly outside, worse inside, no controller for iDrive, a measly little three cylinder engine in the 120i (with not a single extra horse power over the M54 engined 320i in the E46 from a mere 21 years ago - but that engine of course had a glorious straight six not a tiny three cylinder like you find in much cheaper cars). At least the old one had a proper interior with the rotary controller for the iDrive and actual buttons for all the controls.

Another fine mess from this once-great brand.

Post edited by Leonard Hofstadter on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Can someone explain how this MPV is any different from an SUV? Only difference I can see us one has plastic rubbish tacked onto the wheel arches and one doesn't. And what the hell is a crossover?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A crossover is what you think an SUV is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Am MPV is more practical and more spacious and there normally have lots of clever seating and storage ideas in them. They are a bit higher than a standard hatchback or saloon car but still not bad to drive.

Whereas a CUV or an SUV are not as well designed so are less practical and less spacious but are normally higher up than an MPV so not as good to drive as an MPV.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd rather get the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s horrible.

You’re still waiting on that opticians appointment AMKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Must be selling somewhere ive only ever seen a handful of the last model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭carsfan2

They sold 700,000 of the previous generation so I guess they know what customers want.

I have driven a few of the current generation as loaner cars and they’re grand but very ordinary. You’re definitely paying for the badge.

this one looks like a huge improvement on the interior and 330 bhp odd for the 230e is nice. I bet the exterior is fine in the metal too.

I guess that upgrade will go into the lci 330e which would be great

Looks like they have bowed to the populous trend of adding more screens and less buttons, setting the trend for the rest of their range. Shame really, invocation for the sake of it imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wonder have they introduced a modicum of reliability? That'd be a big step forward.

I’ve had a few BMW’s at this stage as well as VW, Audi, Ford and a few more. The BMW’s haven’t been any worse for reliability than any other brand but when things have happened the customer care has been good unlike others.

These are expensive cars with relatively high running costs (servicing and parts particularly).

The bar should be set higher for them therefore imho.

Maybe best to leave that to people with personal ownership experience.

• Advertisement

Boards - now you're talking (unless you haven't owned a BMW 2 series).

That's irrelevant. Ownership and having an option aren't mutually exclusive.

p.s. How many BMW engines did you have replaced?

Strange that they have ditched the i drive controller for the 2 series but kept it in the iX and i4 when they all use the same BMW operating system 8.

Advertisement