Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GTA Trilogy Remaster: GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

looks like a cash grab, if it is properly remade and not just updated i would be interested however if its just a running at 1080p same **** then no

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would hope that the GTAV control system, inventory system and a modern tweaks are added as part of the remaster?

I still play GTA:SA on a regular basis and the immediacy, fun and nostalgia are always fun. Add that to a decent effort at redoing the graphics and an updated control scheme?

It could be excellent. Let's just hope they don't decide to upscale it with basic tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I agree I have San Andreas on PC and play a bit of it every now and then and compared to the modern games it is a challenge. Even dying mid mission is a hassle. And I also played a decent bit of Vice City a couple of years ago and man the handling was atrocious.

So yea I hope it is a full remaster from the ground up and not just a quick money grab.

To be honest I would actually prefer if they released a GTA VI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've no intention of going back to these games, less so if they are just hd updates of the old jank.

When they do come back I hope they take the aesthetic of the original ps2 games, the android based ports look awful, particularly San Andreas. It just lost all of its atmosphere with the change in lighting and atmospheric effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

GTA Vice City and San Andreas are two of my all time favourite games but I’ll wait for the reveal trailer to make up my mind about getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Shinier graphics is about all you could hope for with this, no way they're going to update 3 games worth of graphics. The only thing that will put me off is if they have the old aiming system. No way could i go back to that. Can't wait to see some gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm out unless it looks somewhat modern. The line that they're keepingthe look and feel of the original games has me worried. I want SR3 remastered level of enhancements, doubt that's what we'll get. And I'm only interested in playing VC again, but I'm not going to ruin the 8K 120FPS memory I have of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

As said above, not interested in prettier jank.

A full remake would've been great (and God knows GTA Online money would've paid for remaking all 3 games 50 times over) but it's not that, so not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Agree it needs to be a proper remaster or not worth it. I'd hope they could get Vice City decent and do a good job on San Andrea's. Defo wanna see some gameplay,If it looks good I'd be excited for this.

Currently playing through GTA V with a few mods on PC. When you mod in the quality of life stuff the game improves massively in SP. It's a great game in many ways just criminally neglected in SP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The old game all ran on RenderWare including the more recent mobile versions, this is going to be Unreal so whatever it ends up being it'll be different to the originals.

The graphics might be the least changed part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm the chump these games were made for.

I can't wait.

They've apparently been redone on the Unreal Engine so in terms of visuals I'd be interested to see how they look. I also heard they've modernised some aspects of the games, so whether or not that means they've readjusted how they control (I'll admit it hasn't aged well, despite the fact their gameplay is second nature to me) remains to be seen.

If they're not my cup of tea by the end I still have the old ones to go back to. But they seem pretty confident about this trilogy, so much so that they are actually removing the prior versions of the games from digital storefronts. That's bold, but I already said it before elsewhere - if you were a fan already, you likely already have these games, and if not, well... Buy them now, they're not expensive in the slightest.

There are a few QoL inclusions I'd like to see; like not having to use the safehouse to save the game would be ideal, or a fairer checkpoint system.

Nevertheless I'm excited as hell. Give em all to me, but I'll take the launch states with a grain of salt, since they're using a new engine to render these games I'm expecting there will be a lot of bugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a lot of emulated games in unity now so it could just be emulated android in unity.

I'd say rockstar does have good source control so there's the possibility of a source port to unreal which would be amazing.

I replayed the PS4 versions in the last 2 years and of the 3 Vice City was the one in needs of most attention. Patches removed songs from the soundtrack too when rights expired and this was an issue in certain places when the rose tinted glasses were on. Many will say VC was the best of these but I'd challenge anyone to replay it and say that now in whats currently there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

San Andreas is the best one imo. Never took to Vice City. I know some say it's the music but I'm not into that type of music I am into rap so San Andreas would be the obvious choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Overall, Vice City was the best one for me. Some things SA did better and improved a lot, but there was also a lot of unnecessary fluff in it. The stamina stuff would get annoying, and too many really empty map areas that if you lost your vehicle in, you'd be walking for ages, or trying to drive through awful areas to get back to civilisation.

Vice City was the best balance of the three games imo, in terms of gameplay, map, variety and story (the story in SA was too padded).

Though one thing I spent far too much time on in SA was betting on the horse racing arcade thing. Earned most of my money that way.

3 holds a special place in my heart. Loved the radio (Royce Da 5'9's Boom is such a classic) and cars (Banshee is my favourite car in any game to this day) but VC and SA really took the series to new heights and i find it very hard to pick a favourite.

VC had that Scarface story with the brilliant Ray Liotta as lead and the greatest game soundtrack of all time.

SA had everything but the kitchen sink, incredible to think about the size of that game for it's time. Brilliant story but was definitely padded out. Going from LS to the country side to San Fierro to Las Venturas was just epic.

Rockstar are already down in public opinion with his they handled GTA V and Online for so long, hopefully this release has some effort put in and not just a shiny port. Then again, Rockstar never tried to please anyway so we'll see.

San Andreas has far less fun per square kilometre than vice city which is why vice city is the best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

3 will always be special,especially to those who played 1 and 2.

1 and 2 were awesome for their time aswell.

Givin 3 is the oldest I'd be least hopeful for a good remake though

Post edited by EoinHef on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I wasted a lot of hours on Gta (original) and subsequently GTA 2 (loved the variety of that game and the way you could play gangs off against each other).

When GTA3 released it was like the realization of the potential of the GTA formula. It got me to buy a PS2 earlier than I had planned (I was waiting for MGS2) and was an absolute time sink for me and pretty much anyone else I knew who was into games and some others who weren't.

People were blown away by Gta3, it remains a special game. It's hard to believe it's 20 years since it released and I'm hoping these "definitive editions" are a worthwhile product and not a lazy cash grab from an increasingly unlikable company.

San Andreas was an insane game on some many levels, utterly brilliant and absolutely fun as hell.

Vice City was a cultural phenomenon, it put 80's nostalgia firmly into the cultural zeitgeist, look back at the sheer number of remixes of songs featured on its soundtrack that were in the charts in the two years after it released to get an idea of how influential it was. In many ways games have never been as culturally relevant since Vice City, that remains the high water mark of games influencing culture outside of gaming. It's still a pretty solid game as well and probably the one most fans want to see get tarted up (and for God's sake add the ability to swim).

I'll be looking forward to seeing what the game play looks like, hopefully it's not a disappointment.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

VC was my favourite, simply for the fact that by the time you beat the game, you felt like you had achieved something. Massive mansion, loads of money, cars, guns, etc. The music was on point, and the voice acting was second to none at the time. It just felt like Goodfellas, the game. 3 was amazing though, and like others I lost countless hours to playing it and just messing about. Was the go to game for when the lads called around. SA was just as good as VC, but overall I preferred VC. SA started to introduce a lot of fluff, which was still new at the time so people didn't complain as much. And the voice acting was also excellent. Then with IV they made it realistic and just not fun (albeit I did enjoy the car mechanics), plus you were most likely still flat broke at the end, didn't feel like I achieved anything.

V is an excellent game, but once online took off it was basically forgotten about, so it drops in ranking for me. For me, not including 1 & 2 due to being very different games imo (and London), it would be VC, 3, SA, V, IV. If music has been removed from VC for legal purposes, it will definitely take some of the shine off it, and I really don't want that. Tbh, if it doesn't look close to that demo someone did of VC with in the V engine, I could be put off. It's really going to be down to visuals though. Modern gaming has ruined playing older games, so I do need something modern.

• Advertisement

They need to update the gun sound effects for those games. I remember the tat-tat-tat noises for the guns in San Andreas sounding awful.

VC is the best because it has Michael Jackson on the soundtrack.

Actually didn't realize until a second playthrough that some missions scripted the in car soundtrack to the mission. Thought the soundtrack was so good that every song fit. But such a great detail.

Probably why it jarred me not to hear certain songs when I played last year I think Billy Jean was scripted to play when you get into the Admiral near the start of the game.

I actually remember getting the game a few days early as I'd a pal working in Xtra Vision, still remember the video killed the radio star tape loading bit and then seeing helicopters being a thing in the intro hoping they could be flown!!

Oh and this needs to be left here

Actually it would be nice if they released Liberty/Vice city stories along with these. Flash FM in Vice was really funny and arguably better songs???? Gloria!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

V-Rock for me. Megadeth - Peace Sells is a classic.

Yep, never got around to vice city stories. I beat liberty city stories but remember nothing about it. Think it was just impressive as a tech demo. I heard vice city stories had great multiplayer.

Tommy > CJ > Niko > GTAV trio.

Can't really count Claude as he never opened his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Hopefully Claude talks in the remaster

R* said they'll have a few surprise guests popping up in GTA Online handing out work. Might see old man Claude make an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Advertisement