Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting New job... but regretting leaving old one one

• 06-10-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

So I know I'm lucky and shouldn't be complaining! but I'm leaving my job in the Childcare sector to go to the public sector next week. 

I'm really regretting and having second thoughts about leaving :( I'm torn, I love the Childcare but also waited 2 years on a panel for the PS job but starting out on Grade 3. what would you do?

my two children go to my creche and will stay there, but the creche have been so good! 

any help please my head is melted!! 😭😭  

On a side note I worked out the money and starting out the PS job is 20euro per week more but I'm paying double Childcare as I'm getting 50% discount with me working there till I leave. 

thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How often have you got a raise in your childcare job? Every year, like you will in the public-service job?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

If you are earning €20 a week more but losing a 50% discount on childcare, you’re actually going to be significantly worse off. And you say you love your existing job.

Why are you even considering making the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I had the same question starting in the ps.. Working for 30 a week more than previous. My pay has gone up 5 times in 5 years.

I've also got a pension at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The PS job is for the future, you are lucky to get it.

The childcare role is unsustainable as you get older

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is it?

I know people working in childcare at 65 years old, they love their job.

There is more to life than money, better off in a job you love on less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

In a crèche at 65?

They must have a bullet proof immune system

Look each to their own, IMO their is no comparison in the roles.

PS and working in a creche is a no contest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

Your kids won't always go to a creche. If it were me, stick with the ps job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yes, 65, some older, could have retired but didn't want to.

I would choose a building site over an office job, have done both. if you paid me 500,000 a year to do an office job, I would turn the offer down.

Thank you all for the comments.

For the Childcare price I'm lucky with the NCS that itll go from 260 per month to 570per month for my children so lucky it's not a mortgage price at the moment!

I'll also be going to point 2 on pay scale next June with previous experience also.

I think its moving sectors completely it's very daunting and second guessing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭2021_AP

I made a move from a job I really loved in retail to the CS 4 years ago and I was quite nervous as it was a pay cut and I really really enjoyed the role I was in

But an increment every year is hard to argue with and I have also been promoted twice since joining which means my wages are now significantly higher than if I had stayed in my previous role not to mention I don't have to worry about industry instability anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some people are lucky healthwise, and still able for hard physical work as they age thru to retirement. Many aren't, and need to either change sector or get into management.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Public service for me.

You might be hit in the pocket short term, but long term the service is winning. Pay rises and pension goals.

As said, your kids won't be in creche forever. And who knows, the job you get in the ps you might love just as much if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daffodill50

Childcare might be more expensive right now but they wont always need creche.

Consider PS benefits like the Shorter Working Year, the parental leave, a career break if needed, all your bank holidays, a more understanding environment when it comes to needing time off for family etc. As others have said, the yearly small increase in wages and pension at the very end.

Goodluck with the new job!

Thank you all for your replies!

Just wondering roughly how much is taken out per fortnight for the pension on Grade 3 salary?

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭2021_AP

If you put all the info into taxcalc.ie it will work everything out for you

If paid weekly divide after tax income by 52.18 and if paid fortnightly divide by 26.09

Advertisement