Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

golf clubs in north county dublin that arent overly busy

• 23-09-2021 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all, does anyone know of any golf clubs in that area which aren't too busy? Im a member of donabate golf club but it is always very busy, there are comps on 7 days a week, and there are often societies taking up a lot of time slots each day.

For the likes of me, who has a 9 to 5 job, and has kids, I only have an hour or so here and there to play golf, so only want to play about 5 holes or so each time. Trying to get a free slot when I can play is often impossible.

Are there any clubs in the area which reserve slots for members only each day? Or clubs where the membership fees are a bit higher resulting in less members and therefore a quieter course? I wouldnt mind paying 2 grand or a bit more if it meant being able to golf when I wanted.

Comments

There are a couple of courses near enough to the Airport that might suit.

Corrstown - has three x 9 hole courses, so there's always a 'spare' course on competition days and easy enough to get out and do a casual few holes

Donabate - Same, three x 9 holes but they are less busy than Corrstown and there's never too much demand except on Captain's day and the like

Roganstown/Swords Open - You can get joint membership for both of these clubs, no idea what the time sheets are like but it's essentially a 36 hole membership

Corrstown took in a load of new members recently and the weekend/competition days fill up lightning quick, it's the reason I left there and went to Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

Thanks but Donabate is the one I want to leave due to how busy it is. Also I think having 3x 9 hole courses is more of a disadvantage at times. When you book 18 holes, the brs system assumes your first 9 holes will take 2 hours which often isnt the case, which results in timesheets being very innaccurate. Often Ive had a spare hour to play 4 or 5 holes, looked at the timesheet and seen it near empty at the time I want, I turn up then to find the 9 hole course that was supposed to be empty is in fact jammers, because all the groups out playing took longer than 2 hours to play their first 9 holes, which is really annoying. It would be much better if they just had 1 set 18 hole course, and then a seperate 9 hole course, then this issue wouldnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I don't think such a thing exists in Dublin region since Covid came. I would have said Donabate was one of the better options in NCD with the 3 nines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

So you want a golf course that's empty after 5 on a weekday and weekends

In Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

yeah covid and working from home has put nearly every course at full capacity these days. But theres bound to be some clubs that are a bit more exclusive. The likes of the island is obviously well out of my price range but was wondering if there others at a more reasonable price. There is a big shortage of courses in dublin now, wonder is there any chance turvey golf club will come back from the dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are you saying people working from home are slipping out for 9 holes or a full round? Never:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What is it like to get out in Forrest Little - or to go cheaper for what you are at Swords , Corballis , Silogue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Sillogue closes at 7pm which is a massive turn off for most

Swords sounds the only place you might get what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

So all you want a golf course that's empty after 5 on a weekday and weekends

In Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HighSlice

I’m looking for a club in north Dublin - not too worried about them being busy as long as I can get out at some point during the weekend..

Im in my 30s, are there any clubs that skew slightly younger with regards to membership ages?

I know it sounds off, but I’m a bit wary of joining a club with a large group of seniors, all set in their fixed fourball groups and little cliques, which I’ve encountered before at some clubs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

join whats closest and throw your name down anywhere that suits your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HighSlice

Yeah I have done! Have ended up playing with some good lads (young and older) but looking to change for next year. Forrest Little , corrstown, swords open, st Margaret’s and Hollywood on my list, but I’ve not played any of them yet.

was just wondering if there’s anywhere with a particularly active younger group of members, guess probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

where did you join?

im in elmgreen myself and theres a spread of ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Howth isn't anywhere near as busy as some of the other clubs mentioned. The members will say otherwise after an influx of new members this year, but you will always get out on the timesheet. The only peak times where you need to be quick is for saturday and sunday mornings between 8-10.30. After that you won't have any timesheet issues. They also run alot of midweek comps with various formats, not just your usual singles stableford - some 9 & 12 hole increasing to 18 depending on the amount of daylight in the evenings. It's quite a short course and you can get around the front 9 in a two ball in 75 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

20% plus of our membership is under 32 and I think it’s about 22% under 35 at Corrstown.

from checking around it’s one of the biggest unders age membership around.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

How busy is Balbriggan at weekends / summer evenings , how easy/difficult is it to get on timesheet at weekends, how friendly is it as a club ? I am in similar position as OP , don't have a lot of time to get out but would like to be able to rock up and play 4/5 holes when I have a spare hour or two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

A friend left Corballis to join Balbriggan because he lives there. He has since come back to Corballis because he couldn't get on the timesheet on weekends there.

I think the busiest time is over for clubs, but I'm sure it's still busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was listening to the radio yesterday and it was said a lot more people are now taking up golf so you will find many timesheets fully booked out at the weekend on an early basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

As an organiser of golf for a society in North Dublin, it is very difficult to get Saturday society golf in many North Dublin clubs. Weekends are being fully reserved for members. We are taking our business out to the neighbouring counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Some clubs don't open timesheets till 8 even in Summer . In Swords for example they allow you out once it's bright . Means that at 8am you could be the 6th or 7th group so there's almost always a slot somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement