Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

Yes, and it's been successfully done before - once you meet the basic competition requirements, you can apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

It probably wasn't in their grand plan to have staff working either end of the country to be honest. Pre Covid, I have never heard of this situation.

It would have been easier for them and you to have you onsite but those departments are probably looking for Irish speaking staff for ages and the choice was either to take a remote worker or keep waiting.

Is it a bot Sh1t for both you and the department?...yes, certainly, definitely, but these appear to be the only options on the table. Remember you will not be alone, you will at least have another colleague starting out in the same position.

Leaving the job after only 2 weeks and then applying for the next CO competition...ok, well these are just my 2 cents...

1. No guarantee another comp, will appear after this panel expires. The government currently have said there will be no public job embargo but I remember the last crash and Mary Harney appearing on TV3 saying no more public jobs. That went on for years.
    2. If you do get through another comp and they ask you, I see you joined the CS and left after 2 weeks - please explain. I would think, we don't know what the working arrangements will be in the future (Hybrid model, remote working, working from hubs have all been mentioned), and leaving a job after 2 weeks because you feel hard done by and didn't like the set up, would indicate that you are not flexible. Sorry, I know I'm probably coming across as harsh!

In my opinion and this is only my opinion and I know I'm probably sounding harsh as I said is. Take the job, get over your annoyance, be happy you got your foot in the door. Apply for the next CO job that comes around in the general stream. ( Way easier to explain in an interview that you are applying for the new CO role as you want to work in a Dublin based office, broaden your experience and gain knowledge of different aspects of PS)

Remember: Once you have 2 years done, you can apply for a transfer or you can apply for EO, HEO, hell even AP if you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SkyRevNet

I started in Revenue recently enough and there was little transparency in terms of what I'd be doing, where I'd be based, who I would be working with etc. until pretty much the day I landed for my induction (about 2-3 weeks after I formally accepted the job offer).

It turns out I'll be based in a local office but most of my team will be based further down the country. In fact, that' how many of the teams are set up. CO's/EO's are scattered accross regional offices and report to AO's, AP's in different offices who in turn may report to a PO in a different regional office. For example, I know of CO's in Dublin, that report to AO's in Sligo who report to AP/PO's in Donegal. That's just the way of it.

Give it 6 months, see how it goes, then make a decision if you still feel the same and see no liklihood of a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 midlands091315

Does anyone one what batch the Kildare panel is at? Interviewed a week go placed in batch 15 in the top 5 of oom. I’m not working at the moment (took time out to raise two children with huge health problems) but financially really need to get back to work just wondering if I should apply for a temporary job somewhere while waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rally109

No you’re not being harsh, you are correct with everything. I just have this really bad habit of not being happy somewhere and I instantly want to try find something else. I’ll have to wait it out for a while I suppose, I just really don’t like the idea of working remotely in the long term, I think it will start affecting my mental health eventually . Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 kkcat11

Yes I know of people that have done that and reentered a CO competition to move counties as it can be quicker than mobility !

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Hey. I read that there was meant to be a pay rise from October 1st but I looked at the Gov circular and pay is exactly the same for COs are it was previously.

Wasmt CO pay basically meant to be a extra 500e a year from October?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭furrybones

I thought there was a pay increase too? I'm on point 2 of the scale and according to the circular my salary should have increased to €26,695 (€511.61 weekly) from €26,195 (€502.02 weekly). I checked my pay slip and there was no increase 👎️

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A notice on the PSSC website said there was a delay in applying the pay increase. Pay increase should apply for weekly paid staff from 22 October with arrears. Think it's the following week then for fortnightly paid staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Vologda69

It doesn't kick in until last week of October when it will be backdated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Oh cool. Thanks. I see the message now.

I just have a shortcut to the payslip page. Havent seen the mainpage in yonks.

That'll teach me to read up on things before commenting. 😂

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2021_AP

Previously point one on CO scale was 24,586 (471.20) so there has been an increase

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭skidmarkoner

edit

I just read the above ignore my lack of reading prior info 😂

Anyone seen an increase in their pay?

Post edited by skidmarkoner on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Hey, just wondering if anyone could let me know how they contact you regarding placement? Do they post something out, email or ring? I came in the top 20 of 114 for the Fingal CO, results were posted on the 15th September and haven't heard anything yet. I know it can take a while for them to contact you just want to make sure I don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 midlands091315

It can take a while (into a couple of months) I’m still waiting on a different panel myself - some seem to have gotten emails and some calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

So does that mean point one will start at just over 25k then?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

So I know 25k a year for your average single person translates to approx €421 per week in to your hand.

But does anyone know roughly after pension & deductions what a typical clerical officers take home would be per week?

I believe its going to be around €409 a week if a person has the usual tax credits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Phantasos

Just got an email asking about interest in proceeding to the interview stage in Galway - have other people had anything similar? Is this an indication that they're hoping to take people on soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭skidmarkoner

So I've been coming out with €380 a week might have messed up my credits

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Is the salary increase the same for Tusla clerical officer employees??

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Vologda69

The 409 is once the latest pay increase kicks in which won't be til next week

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Polly50

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Polly50

I was informed on Tuesday that I will be starting in Dept Justice on November 15th 😊 anyone else starting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

Hi everyone,

I have received an email to confirm that I am under consideration for a position from the Clerical Officer 2020 panel for Dublin. I have to undergo vetting and confirm references. I have until next week to reply.

I am currently working as a Services Officer in a government department. I applied for the SO job after the CO competition and I started earlier this summer. I am in receipt of an additional allowance to my pay for certain duties.

My pay is currently a little higher than the starting pay point 1 of a CO due to this allowance. I think I would be down about €40/week gross pay initially.

There is also a possibility of being promoted to Head Services Officer as the current HSO will be retiring in a couple of years. The point 1 pay of a HSO is approximately €160/week gross more than what I would be on at that point.

When am I eligible for promotion? The current HSO has said after 1 year but I am not sure about that. Would I be better off starting on the CO scale and trying to work my way up from there? Is it possible to start at point 2 on the CO scale so that my pay would be more in line with what I am currently earning? I know there are circulars in regards to pay, but do they even apply in my case? What promotional path would there be for a HSO?

I enjoy the work I am doing. Although it is not perfect, I can imagine things being worse. What should I do? I would be very grateful for any insight and thoughts you might have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

I know a lad that was a CO years and years ago, left the CS and came back as a Service's Officer. He says the only comps he can apply for internally is Customs, which is very limited. You also have current CS staff and some assigned to customs apply also, so you are competing with experience.

So once you are a HSO, that's it unless you are very lucky to apply for a Customs role.

If you take the CO, after 2 years, you are eligible to apply for internal and interdepartmental comps for EO,HEO,AO, even AP as far as I know.

While HSO, might give you short term gain (€160), you need to look at the longer picture

Looking at the scales below, the scale for HSO, is shorter, so you will reach the max quicker at €775.61, for CO it will take longer but the max is greater at €787.52.

I included the Higher Scale in there also, what this is, is a internal mini competition usually at District level (they might say there's 2 positions available), where you complete an application form to say you are the greatest thing since sliced bread and the top dogs will discuss the applications and you may or may not get it depending on who's applied and how many. These comps might come up only every few years, it's not something I would get too hung up on.

Clerical officer (PPC)

25,087 (480.79) – 26,695 (511.61) – 27,104 (519.44) – 27,901 (534.72) – 29,077 (557.26) –   30,251 (579.76) – 31,426 (602.26) – 32,280 (618.64) – 33,248 (637.19) – 34,373 (658.75)   35,166 (673.94) – 36,279 (695.27) – 37,386 (716.49) – 39,113 (749.58) – LSI 1 40,470 (775.60) –  LSI. 2 41,092² (787.52)

Clerical officer higher scale (PPC)

27,901 (534.72) – 29,077 (557.26) – 30,251 (579.76) – 31,426 (602.26) – 32,280 (618.64) –     33,248 (637.19) – 34,373 (658.75) – 35,166 (673.94) – 36,279 (695.27) – 37,386 (716.49)   39,113 (749.58) – 40,470(775.60) – 41,092 (787.52) – 41,931 (803.64)

Head services officer (PPC)

636.05 – 652.96 – 666.57 – 686.38 – 706.18 – 725.99 – LSI 1 749.60 – LSI 2 775.61

Services officer (PPC)

452.58 – 478.99 – 488.96 – 510.03 – 528.85 – 540.11 – 553.29 – 569.14 – 596.22 – LSI 1 609.62 –  LSI 2 630.94

Services attendant (PPC)

446.58 – 464.50 – 488.96 -496.72 – 512.77 – 531.60 – 548.02 – 566.50 – 589.22 – LSI 1 607.77 –  LSI 2 623.29

Advertisement