Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I was offered customs previously. Turned it down at the time and regretted it big time. Bored senseless in the current role....so hoping mobility will be my escape route

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Hi I have searched everywhere is there an threads for HSE panels for 2021 pls

• Registered Users Posts: 5 borntobewild

Did you hear anything since? I heard they are on batch 8 but don’t know how far down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 borntobewild

Did you hear anything since? I heard they are on batch 8 but don’t know how far down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gooseyloosey

Got news last week. Just waiting on Garda vetting and references now. Hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Polly50

Anyone having trouble tracking their Garda Vetting? Everytime I input my information and click "submit", I get a message saying "Server Error on '/' application?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

I got that when I entered my COCO2020 ID instead of the vetting ID. Could that be your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lou147

was anyone assigned to AGS and if yes how long did the security clearance take?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

A few years ago it took literal months, might be quicker now. If you're in Dublin you could chance emailing them and ask for somewhere else worked for someone I knew - she was born abroad so it would have taken a very long time for her vetting to come back and someone else ahead of her had just pulled out of a role for a dept with normal level vetting so they were more than happy to accommodate. If you have a close relative who is a criminal / undergoing a criminal investigation I would just ask now not to go to AGS as you'll have to wait until vetting is done and you won't be going there anyways so waste of your time.

If you've only ever lived in Ireland / don't know any criminals it should be quicker though. If you've ever lived abroad prepare to be waiting a while!!!

TBH I'd do anything to get out of an AGS placement if you have plans for mobility or interd promotion...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/union-opposes-moves-to-conscript-civilian-staff-into-garda-1.4579496

• Registered Users Posts: 27 QuestionTime18

Does anyone know how long vetting takes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭furrybones

It depends on where you are being placed. Mine took approximately 18hrs. For AGS it can take a long time as there is an extra layer of vetting.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

That was very fast.

Anyone know is it actually possible to turn down/defer a position based on distance from home and wait for another position? Or is this just an urban legend?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 QuestionTime18

Thank you, I’ve no idea where I’ll be placed all I know is that I was told it would take a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭furrybones

You can turn it down without losing your place on the panel if the placement exceeds 45km from your home.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nicbuc

Was vetted for a TCO role in AGS, took 7 days for vetting to complete and then 3 weeks again until I heard from AGS HR. Was told vetting can take up to 12 weeks. Depends on the person and they’re addresses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

Thanks . I was searching for this info online and couldnt find anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Hello all, would anyone have an update on the Cork panel, please?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rally109

Guys I really need some guidance as I’m very annoyed and upset right now. Sorry for the long comment but if anyone can help I’d appreciate..So I got a job offer a few weeks ago via the Irish language stream.  I was assigned to a certain dept in Dublin, which is the county that I applied to. On my first day (working remotely) I was told that everyone in my office is from Galway and that their office is based in Galway and that I’m one of the only people from Dublin working in this section. I’m being told by my manager that she doesn’t know what’s going to happen to me once we’re all back in the office, but that she assumes I’ll be working remotely from a random office in Dublin when things go back to normal.

Am I in the Right to be pissed off about this? I would never have accepted the job if I’d known that even though I stated DUBLIN, I’d be put in a section that’s based in a completely different county and that all my coworkers would be outside Dublin. 

I want to be able to work in an office with my coworkers physically there, have lunch with them, get to know them and stuff but I won’t be able to do any of that if they’re all based in the office across the country. Is there any way I can get a transfer or even internal transfer to a section that’s actually based in Dublin? I know about the mobility scheme but I have to be working there two years for that and I’m only there a week! I’ve been really stressing about this because I had such high expectations for working in the civil service but this has been a really bad start. I feel really cheated to be honest and that my contract has been very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Moomooland

Hi Rally. I’d email the HR department of whatever part of the civil service you’re based in and ask them if there was a mix up or something and that you had stated Dublin on your application. Mobility is a pain in the backside having to wait the two years.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for the response. I don’t think it’s a mistake, I think their plan is to keep me remote in Dublin which I feel like is very unfair and misleading. I was going to email HR but I ended up emailing PAS this morning explaining situation because they’re the ones who assigned me to this role, so I figured it might be better. My guess is they needed Irish speakers and they had no one in Galway so they had to go with me, but if they don’t have enough Irish speaking candidates in Galway that shouldn’t be my problem. My heads a mess I’ve been waiting for this job for a year and a half and it’s been such a let down!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Moomooland

You’re welcome. Ah I see, I’ve always had HR of different departments call me when I was working as Temporary Clerical Officer to offer me a placement. Working remotely is not fun and it’s not for everyone, sometimes it’s nice to have camaraderie of colleagues to have a natter and a cup of tea with. They are being very sketchy with the details though, is this what I have to look forward to if I get offered a permanent post 😟😟

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Happygal12

Does anyone know what number they are upto for Louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AaronJ1

Hi folks,

I am in a predicament, if possible some help would be great .

Just been giving my start date for Customs Dublin, which is great however it would mean travelling daily. I understand that 2years in the position a transfer can be made.

My question is if I reject the offer how would I try get a job in the same field closer to home ?

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 XU1212

is it airport or the airport ? when is the start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

I have heard recently that CO's were hired in Dublin for different areas ie Galway. They will not be hiring just 1 Irish speaker, it will more than likely be 3 of ye. I have also heard of another section that have hired remote Irish speakers, so there is a chance that ye all will be based in a remote hub as such. I would be thinking possibly 6 between the 2 teams.

The dreams of everyone working together like pre covid is a long way off. I honestly can't see a full return to the office anywhere in the near future. So while it's not ideal it's still a good opportunity.

Another way to look at it is, if you were not on the Irish panel and were on the general stream, would you be in this position? Would you have progressed so quickly? (I can't answer that, only you can) Would you be working remotely? ( More than likely in the short term at least) Would you be working for an office in the West (probably not)

Go and give it a chance, but go in with a positive attitude. I'm sure your new colleagues aren't exactly thrilled with the situation either but you have to make the best of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kittyc2018

When you say the same field, do you mean Customs or the Civil Service in general?

Did you accept the Customs position knowing you would have to travel? I think if the distance is greater than 45km from your home you can turn it down and remain on the panel.

You must do 2 years in Customs before you can apply for a transfer, however expressions of interest for other divisions/areas do come up from time to time as well.

Drop me a pm if you have anymore specific questions

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

Can Permanent CO's apply for the next Clerical Officer Panel as a means of possibly by-passing the 2yr mobility wait for transfer?

I wanted to know this too! I only started but I already want a transfer out of my section

• Advertisement

You’ve made very good points. I just feel like there was no transparency with what was happening with me in the hiring process. I was never informed once that I’d be remotely working for an office in another part of Ireland, I was told I’d be in an office in Dublin. Feel like I was lied to . I’m honestly thinking of starting a job somewhere else and just applying for the next competition without putting the Irish preference in because I honestly don’t think it’s worth it now and I’m finding it hard to stay positive when I’m just annoyed with the whole situation. Do you think that would look bad on my next CO application though ? (Leaving current CO role after only 2 weeks)

Advertisement