Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paschal Donohoe's book reviews

• 06-10-2021 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone else has noticed Donohoe's book reviews for the Irish Times over the past few years.

Unfortunately the Irish Times hasn't created a page that compiles them. A selection of past headlines:

'Paschal Donohoe lauds conclusion that uncertainty should be embraced'.

'The Minister for Finance on Ece Temelkuran’s underwhelming approach to stopping political decay'.

'Lucid but flawed: Paschal Donohoe reviews Yanis Varoufakis’s economics primer'.

And just this week: 'Confronting Leviathan: Timely collection of essays on the thinkers behind the modern state'.

To be fair to him, the books he reviews are often substantial reads and he writes fluently. But I wonder what his motivation is. It grates on me a little that he thinks his views on intellectual books are worth sharing with the country. That said, if I'd heard that the French minister for finance reviewed books on political theory for Le Monde, I'd be very impressed.

Comments

Advertisement