Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spare key needed, Dublin

• 16-02-2021 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi
    Just bought a car with one key and want to get a spare, where is a good place in dublin to do one for a lexus?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

b.c wrote: »
    Hi
    Just bought a car with one key and want to get a spare, where is a good place in dublin to do one for a lexus?
    cheers

https://www.autokey.ie/
    Newlands Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Shop around and ring ahead. Prices vary a lot and it depends on exact type of car and key. Get a price from main dealer as a comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 81,053 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Main dealer is circa €400 if it's the keyless entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

As this is the most recent thread and doesn't start the same topic from new, wondering how the OP got on?

I'm looking for a spare key for an old, but er car with an immobiliser/has chip in the key. I've only ever had one key for the car but I want to get a back up. I made an enquiry at a well known locksmith and was told €120, Although I was surprised at the cost ( I originally didn't think the key had an immobiliser in it as it's a small enough key compared to modern keys and oesn't have an integrated fob). I'm not querying the price so much, just that I was told they need to keep the car for a number of hours to do this.

I get the impression they are telling me it takes this long for some other reason, ie they hold onto the car and do it at their leisure when they are not busy. The location isn't convenient for me, so I either hang around at the premises, in the locality or make the trip home and then return after 2-2.5 hours. I'd have thought this is something that could be programmed and cut on the spot for a generic replacement? are branded replacements available at locksmiths? and are they substantially dearer?

Also, suggestions for the Dublin area (preferably west to south sides) for car key cutting/programming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try brown brothers in Dun Laoghaire. They are only open office hours but basic keys with just a chip and no buttons is typically 60 euro for direct clone with no car needed. ( Best to bring your car to test there and then), however price varies based on key and car type. They did 2 for me in the past, less than 5 minutes

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Thats great, thanks.

I'd definitely prefer bring the car, its a bit of a spin for me so worth it if Im heading to Dun Laoghaire to get it doen, will ring them Monday, cheers.

Mostly the few hour wait I was told about put me off the other place.

Advertisement