Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT

• 17-09-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

Cars are not my area of expertise so excuse my ignorance! :P

A friend bought a car which had just passed the NCT last week sometime, bought it last Sunday.

Took the car to another friend of mine who is a mechanic to have a look at it to see what he thought, friend no 2 spotted a problem with the back axle! basically it was ****ed.

so..

my question is, if the NCT crowd stated the car was roadworthy last week, do they have any liability (i presume they don't), and of course how did this pass the NCT? (brown envelope?)

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

When the NCT do the test they're not giving you a warranty on the car. It's not like getting your car serviced and then being able to go back to the mechanic if it developed a problem, so you have no comeback with the NCT.

Was the car bought via a private sale or through a dealer. Your friend needs to get a report from the mechanic and then go back to the seller and look for a refund.

I'd like to think that brown envelopes don't change hands for NCTs but you never know. There's always the possibility that the car is cloned (i.e. given the reg and cert of an exact same model car that did pass the test)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The NCT is flawed and inconsistant, it will may not pick up everything single problem with a car. It is also not a guarantee that the car is in sound shape.

Your friend really should have had the mechanic look at the car prior to buying it rather than afterwards, it could have avoided this nasty situation. Was it a private sale or from a garage/dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would guess the NCT was done through a dealer with a "friend" at the NCT centre, most likely your mate only got the disc and not the report

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Took the car to another friend of mine who is a mechanic to have a look at it to see what he thought, friend no 2 spotted a problem with the back axle! basically it was ****ed.

quote]

What Make/Model car are we talking about? and EXACTLY what is wrong with the axle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

NCT isn't a certificate of roadworthiness, but I would bring the car to a 3rd party for an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

I got screwed twice with NCT cars. First car is so unroadworthy, I'm scared to sell it as it may cause an accident. It was NCT passed, when I bought it and passed the NCT a second time. My second car has a rusty under carriage part and tied up with 8 cable ties and yellow marks on the axel where it failed NCT but passed anyway !

Never trust a NCT as a guide to buying a decent second hand car. I'm not a car genius but when a mechanic says it's a death trap , I'm worried ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How did you find this thread, it's 12 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

Bazz26, unreal what you can find on this site🤪 I'm from Cavan, we find all sorts of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Probably the new site functionality, search is brutal and not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Well. since the site is live again after so long perhaps I can ask if anyone has a problem with the NCT website.

I tried to make an appointment for November and when I filled in the payment section a pop up came up with what looked like HTML or some such code.

Anybody else have that problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

When paying by credit card there is often new rules where it pops up your own bank authorisation screen, and you have to say put in a code sent to your mobile. I suggest use a different computer, preferably a desktop than a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tried twice today to book an NCT on my phone (iPhone, using Safari). All went fine until after I had entered my payment detail - there should be a redirect to a bank authorisation screen, and a notification from my banking app. Neither happened either time, and all I got was a grey square with no ability to proceed (screenshot below). 15 minutes later each time I got an email to say my attempted booking had been cancelled due to non-payment.

Had to wait until I got home and do it on my computer. This time it all worked, but I lost the date and time slot I wanted. So yeah, it seems there's issues with the site at least on some mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Same thing with me, but I called the NCT helpline and they set up the date for the inspection.

I can pay then. I suppose it's just another example of government unable to find decent tech people for website functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

in fairness NCTS (National Car Testing Service Ltd) are a private company who won the tender to provide the NCT service on behalf of the RSA, so the onus is on them to have a properly functioning website. They’re owned by Applus, who have over 19,000 staff worldwide. So getting a website to work on a phone shouldn’t be a big deal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I had no issues using debit card last Friday, payment approved albeit not taken until test completed (wed 20th oct)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement