Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2000-3000 budget

Options
  • 06-10-2021 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

I have a problem, in that I need to move out of my place in a few months time. And looking on daft, there is very little available in town. And whatever there is seems to get snapped up very quickly.

I realize I probably have to move out of town to get a roof over my head. I normally cycle around town, and I'm even considering getting a scooter or electric bike for anything under 25km.

Seems to be a few places available with a 40km distance. And one place is available for €650 per month.

If I got something that cheap after Christmas, I would probably consider getting a car.

My budget would be around €2000-3000 for a car. Can anything decent be got for that much? Probably looking at a small car that is cheap to run but won't break on me.

Any ideas what I should go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Check the bangernomics thread as some good stuff comes up every now and then but saying that the thread has still not recovered since the new boards.ie, one time you would be looking at a fair few cars put up a day now you are lucky to get one or two posts.

Since you have no NCB you should look out for 1 litre cars they are cheap to tax but not sure on insurance as you are just starting off. Be prepared for a dear price depending on your age. Also do you have a full licence as a provisional will have dear insurance never mind you need to be accompanied at all times now.

Also regarding finding a place to live, I am currently looking myself for the passed while went to view a fair few places and was never chosen to be the new tenant. I don't know what is going on is there a shortage of accommodation but every places has a load of potential tenants viewing the place. I'm in the west of the country and it's pretty bad trying to find some where.

I remember the last few times I was looking for some where I had a place found straight away each time but that was a fair few years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks for your reply. I really don't want the expense of a car but might have to go with a very small car. Have a full license but zero no claims bonus. Priced insurance for a small car and I'm looking at 2000 a year.

But if I'm spending that on insurance, I might add it to my accommodation budget and see what I can get in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

You are far better off spending the rent living in a good location and nice property. Than commuting from a poor location in a car...

Facebook Classifieds gives you a chance to get a feel for the seller before enquiring about a car and at that price the seller is usually a better indication of how straight the car is than the car itself.

That is great advice. Except, places seem to get snapped up very quickly in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

I was in a similar position about 6 months ago. If you're a named driver on any car (eg family member) it can bring down your insurance a good bit. It will depend on the insurer though. I was getting quotes from anywhere between €900 and €2700. I ended up using Campion Brokers and got ~€700 for fully comp on a 1.8 petrol with Zurich.

You might not save yourself a lot going to a 1 litre and if you've a decent commute it might be miserable. The road noise on some of the smaller cars can be pretty bad if you've a motorway commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just be careful, as being a named driver on paper for a car you really own is called fronting, and is illegal.

I don't think the poster was suggesting that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

No didn't mean to suggest that at all, just meant if you're already named on another policy and have logged proof of driving experience, some insurers will give you credit for it.

It's tough getting a decent quote for insurance. Each insurer seems to have carved out their own niche so that they're not really competing with each other for the most drivers.

Advertisement