Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis inverter settings

• 04-10-2021 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Theres mention on another thread about disabling the backup supply if its not required and I'm wondering what other settings should be checked?

What should be set for the standards? I can't see one with IE

Is there any firmware/software that should be updated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Normally you should not do anything as it should be configured properly by your installer. The only things that you may want to change is if you have battery and/or backup load connected. Yuo may want to charge batteries at specific times or reserve capacity in case of power cut.

For updates you will need update stick and also new firmware. None of these are provided with inverter. I would like to get new version as mine is years old. But also there is saying 'if it is not broken don't fix it'

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭buzz11

Mine is a self install so thanks for that about the battery setting, I'll check that.

Thats a pity about the separate update stick being needed, I was hoping it could be done over wifi. There's a video here on it; https://youtu.be/JZxQvAoBMdo

If it is self install I am sure we can share the settings and compare.

The update stick looks similar to wifi stick and is using the same port on inverter. So you need to remove wifi stick and put update one for upgrade process.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I contacted Solis support and they were able to upgrade the firmware remotely via the wifi stick. Running version 350022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Hijacking this thread if that’s ok. My battery discharges to 0% every night. I presume this is not great for the battery. Does anyone know where I can find the setting in a Solis inverter to tell the battery not to discharge fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭webels

Not a good idea to discharge fully. These are the setting recommended by my installer. I have pylontech batteries this is what he quotes in his advice. I was having some battery sleep issues at a lower soc setting..

The solution, is that you need to get into the Advanced Setting, Then go to storage. Select Pylontech as a battery.

Then increase the SOC to 15% and the FOC to 12%. Save and exit

Well this should not be the case if battery and inverter communicate properly and the settings are correct.

What battery are you using? The below instructions are only if the battery manufacture is supported by inverter.

Go to Advanced Settings>Battery Select>Choose the battery that you have>set OverDischg SOC, this should not be less than battery DOD(20% is safe bet)>Set ForceCharge SOC, this is to prevent battery discharge, if it drops below set value it will force charge from grid(if SOC is 20% then set this to 15%) and that should be it.

If you do not find the battery in the list then do not just pick any. You need to check battery settings in the manual and set them accordingly. It could be that your battery is not in the list and the settings are configured are incorrect at the moment and this leads to full discharge. If settings are correct then it could be a problem with battery.

@Jonathan can you PM me contact details for support. I tried to reach them 2 years ago and got nothing out.

Thanks. It’s a PylonTech battery. The SOC was set to 20% but the FOC was set to 10% so I’ve upped that to 15% and we’ll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I just emailed the addresses in this post. I said I was in Ireland, and provided the S/Ns of my inverter and datalogger.

They were a bit reluctant to update at first, but went ahead when I mentioned that I specifically wanted the new multiple charge/discharge time feature. They'll set you up with an account and an incident on the Solis support portal, and then work away with the upgrade.

There is something wrong. Even with 10% FOC inverter should not allow the battery to go below 10%. Does you battery powers off when it goes to 0% and you have to power it on manually as Pylons have trip voltage of 48V when they shutdown? Are there any alarms in the inverter? Where do you see 0%? Is it on inverter? Can you connect battery to laptop to check logs? You just need rs232(serial on laptop) or rs485. This would allow to check battery itself and diagnose. It could still be a problem with communication problem between battery and inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

mods, please delete this post.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

So not sure why it made a difference in the end but since upping the FOC to 15% everything has run smoothly. No more alarms/alerts. Now to figure out peak shaving.

Interesting. Do you see in Alarms/Warnings on Solis if it has forced charged since you set it? It should log it whenever it needs to force charge. I have not seen this behavior with my batteries and initially SoC and FoC were set to 10 on mine.

Does anyone know how would 2 inverters in a house communicate with each other? - both are solis

It depends on the inverter model. The most common RHI that is installed in Ireland do not support linking multiple inverters together.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Depends if they are hybrids or just straight inverters.

If straight inverters or one of each there's no issue.

Sound, thanks one is hybrid (but no battery connected yet) and the second is straight ordinary inverter.

Any suggestions where I can read more about this?

Start with the manual as this is what mine says:

Also you can ask Solis support https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/support/home and then share your findings here :)

• Advertisement

Then they would work fine, it's when you have 2 hybrids with batteries it doesn't work, as both of them would be trying to balance the grid.

I'm having trouble entering module details on the Solisicloud website (desktop not app) and wondering if anyone else has the same problems.

So under Plant --> Overview --> Layout --> 'Configure String Details'

a window appears "Configure String Details" then click 'batch configuration' but nothing appears under Module Manufacturer' just 'user defined' which has a lot of detailed info which isn't on the data sheet of my modules,so I'm stuck. Here's an image of it below.

Has anyone else tried this?

what is the purpose or objective of entering the string layout? my soliscloud monitoring doesn't have the string layout saved but works fine.

Dunno till I enter the info, there could be additional functions/monitoring

I thought that too and went to the bother of finding the info from the data sheet. It gives you nothing only a silly picture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Hi everyone

I've labelled with red letters A,B,C,D, and E five fuses/switches on my Solis Inverter setup. This was done by a contractor but nothing was labelled and no handover or documents.

Could you help me to identify each one? I've a few figured out below:

A:

B:

C: AC Grid isolator fuse

D: AC Grid isolator switch

E: Battery isolator fuse

A, consumer unit with rcd/rcbo/mcb + solis meter for monitoring import/export (for solar)

B DC isolator from solar panels

C switch fused spur for firemans switch

D, E are correct

I just added another 2.4 pylontech but this morning the pair were only being charged at 180w rate. same thing happened before (only 1 battery then) when I edited and saved the battery storage Time of Use settings in the Solis inverter, a full shutdown and start up sorted it that time.. anyone know why this happens?

When adding additional batteries you should balance the pack.

If the temperature gets low the charging rate will drop. If temperature is ok than check charge rate setting. Sometimes it drops and does not restore. If this happens just cycle through batteries, select pylon and save. This should load correct it.

• Advertisement

thanks a mil, hadn't thought of selecting the battery again, will try it tomorrow if the system recycle today didn't do the trick (charging on night rate tonight)

Advertisement