Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike rack advice

• 06-03-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on a bike rack for a Giant defy 1. Is there anything particular required that would prevent damage to the bike?

Any recommendations on which to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

a rack to carry the bike on a car? a rack to store the bike in the garage? a rack to carry panniers on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 yobbo

Apologies, my mistake. A rack to carry the bike on my car.

The car does not have a towbar and is a hatchback so it does not have a boot sticking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

yobbo wrote: »
    Apologies, my mistake. A rack to carry the bike on my car.

The car does not have a towbar and is a hatchback so it does not have a boot sticking out.

THULE are very good.

(Personally I'd put the bike in the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 yobbo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    THULE are very good.

(Personally I'd put the bike in the car)

Cheers Lapierre, Have put it in the car but when going away the car can be packed tight and don't want to damage the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cheers Lapierre, Have put it in the car but when going away the car can be packed tight and don't want to damage the bike.

Leave the Wife and Kids at home! :D

If you do use a rear mounted rack...remember on a wet day, the bike will be filthy by the time you arrive at your destination. If you choose a Roof mounted rack, beware of low bridges/car park barriers etc.

• Advertisement

having had roof, strap and towbar racks in the past, towbar is the best by far. not that expensive to install, can do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeycav

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on a bike rack for a Giant defy 1. Is there anything particular required that would prevent damage to the bike?

Any recommendations on which to go for?

i have a giant defy and a hatchback and use a cheap as chips rack from aldi/lidl (cant remember which one), works just fine

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Will monitor this too, buying a hitch with the new car so want a good bike carrier. I see Thule express mentioned.
    Do these have locked on them for the bike?

yop wrote: »
    Will monitor this too, buying a hitch with the new car so want a good bike carrier. I see Thule express mentioned.
    Do these have locked on them for the bike?

I have a THule rideon 9503. You can buy a lock for the towbar hitch to stop it being taken off the towbar, I just welded a couple of large nuts of the right size together and drilled a hole to padlock, works fine. Then if needed you can lock the bikes to the rack, and the rack can't be taken off the car.
    Find it very quick to mount and very very solid driving

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

kenmc wrote: »

I have a THule rideon 9503. You can buy a lock for the towbar hitch to stop it being taken off the towbar, I just welded a couple of large nuts of the right size together and drilled a hole to padlock, works fine. Then if needed you can lock the bikes to the rack, and the rack can't be taken off the car.
    Find it very quick to mount and very very solid driving
    I have the same one and its so easy to put on and take off
    Also means I can put the kids bikes on the back when needed I'd well recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Conjack76

Having various issues with locating a rear mounted bike rack for a Vauxhall Insignia online - Halfords saying no product for car? Thought these things were sort of universal - advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

"It's not possible to fit a rear door fitting bike carrier to this vehicle, this is due to the design and/or strength of the tailgate. We recommend considering either roof bar or tow bar mounting bike carriers."

from

Vauxhall Insignia 5dr (08-17) :Bike carrier options:. (roofbox.co.uk)

i use thule roof racks some ive had 25 years, latest car a kia ceed etate has roof bas so its even easier to put on.

cant use the thule proride 598 with a full suspension mtb though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

If you don't need to transport bikes too often - and if you have multiple cars that you want to use the rack etc - it might be worth looking into suction type yokes.

I bought a Rockbros suction mount that can take three bikes. It really easy to setup and securely install the bikes (other than the effort of lifting bikes to the roof height) - three bikes can be mounted in under 5 minutes. I have done 200+ km trips in all sorts of weather with two bikes and no issues to report. When at destination, you can simply pull them off in seconds and leave the suction cups in the boot of the car / garage, they take up very little space. Unlike roof bars, they won't spoil the look of the car when not in use. It's also the cheapest of all the options - 3 bike mount was under €200. A downside is that you can't lock bikes to them - so if you want to stop at a dodgy spot for a while, you must keep and eye on the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

The Thule express 2/970 has a hole in frame that you can use a small padlock on to lock it to the towbar. I use a U lock and cable on the bikes too. It's a brilliant rack when you just need to transport one or two bikes. Clips on to towbar in a second and not much longer load.

The bigger Thule Express need a lock from Thule. https://www.thule.com/en-ie/bike-rack/accessories/thule-lock-957-_-957000

I am tempted some times to get the bigger 4 bike one too for convenience but I have a platform mount Buzzwing 4 for the longer trips where you need a number plate holder and light board. We're a bit lax about it here but you will be pulled on the continent for not having a lightboard. Takes a bit longer to stick on and load but is very secure and bikes and car are are better protected from moving and scratching. Has done a few trips down France and as far as Spain one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

What Ryath says.

If you do get hte 2-bike or 3-bike express, make sure to put a split pin or a lock in the little hole - there is a remote (but real...I'm still traumatised) possibility that a rotating pedal on the inner bike can press the release button...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Have an insignia estate, the thickness of the boot door and the lack of a bumper to rest a rack on seem to be the problem. Not sure what version of the car you have but in several years of searching I haven't been able to find one that fits.

Advertisement