Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights/reflectors

• 05-10-2021 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi all,

Am I legally required to have cycling lights as well as a reflector? Or does a reflector suffice

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lights are a legal requirement during lighting up hours. and are a no-brainer, reflectors are not worth a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Only when its dark, you can fill your boots in daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You are legally required to have a red reflector at the rear of the bike. as well as lights after dark. I don't think the reflector law is enforced much at all. The lights requirement is enforced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Enforced? Nothing is enforced in Ireland, there are reams of legislation covering nearly everything but it's of little practical deterrent when there is no enforcement of said legislation.

I've been cycling in Dublin for nearly 25 years in all weathers and during that time I've seen Gardaí actively stop unlit cyclists once about 14 years ago at a checkpoint just past O'Connell bridge.

That said I have two rear lights and a strong front light I use year round at all times day/night so perhaps the rare sightings of passing squad cars pull in the occasional cyclist.

There is no excuse for not having lights, basic ones can be got for buttons and could be a life saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd agree, rarely enforced, but a legal requirement (as well as being pretty stupid not to use one in the dark/ lighting up times)

I haven't had a moan about them for a while, but the requirements around bicycle lights in legislation go back to the 60's, so all sizes in inches (which most/ all modern lights wouldn't comply), visible for a certain number of yards. If only there was a fellow EU country with a clear standard we could copy...

• Advertisement

I've seen cyclists stopped for not having lights, and as you can see from the link, it is or was the second most enforced of the fixed-charge notices that cyclists can get.

Yeah, it's pretty weird all the regulations being in inches and feet. They also stipulate a minimum face area for lights that few bike lights probably meet anymore. Or at least a minimum that a lot of decent lights don't meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭ARX

It's common at this time of year for people to forget to put their car lights on, so reflectors won't help you there. They also won't help where someone is going to pull out of a side road on your left. Get lights.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Of course, if they introduced German-style regs, those crappy lights the RSA hand out every year wouldn't be compliant.

I just put my old wheels the came with my bike on the other night, they have that 3m stuff on the spokes that Aldi sold last year. Serious pop when light hits them but like ARX said not much use if someone hasn't switched their lights on which I seen countless times already this Autumn. Or the ones with one headlight out who will only bother to change the bulb if there's an NCT due. That said I have seen the Gardai pull someone for it at the weekend there.

The RSA giveaways aren't compliant with the current regulations either. At least clearly for the rear light, as they're too small:

" have an illuminated area of at least 2 square inches and of such a shape that a circle of 1 inch in diameter may be inscribed therein,"

The front lights they provide are probably not compliant either, though it depends on what you mean by "reasonable distance".

"when lit, show to the front of the cycle a white or yellow light visible during lighting-up hours for a reasonable distance,"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭ted1

regardless of requirements, why would you not use good lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

speaking of...

you can order free hi vis stuff here fromthe RSA. I've had the bag cover before, and I've ordered it again after mine went missing...

Advertisement