Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d Juddering / Stalling

• 06-09-2021 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a 2017 520d with 85,000km on the clock. Bought from a reputable main dealer. Love the car but recently it has been experiencing what I would call judders and feels like it is about to stall. This only happens at low speed say coming out of a roundabout.

Any ideas what this could be and should I get straight back onto the dealer.

Also, I got a warning light about a week ago saying the car needs a service in 3,000km. I would have thought the car would have left the dealers as being serviced. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If it was only recently purchased then I would be bringing it straight back to the dealership to get it sorted.

As for the service light, perhaps they didn't reset it after carrying out the service but definitely bring it back to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

Say it could be a problem with the transmission if it's an automatic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭9935452

Is there a service manual with it or is it on the computer ?

Id check that if possible to see the last service.

Some dealers see a car as fully serviced if its not due for a few thousand miles, whereas i would expect fuel filter, oil , oil filter, air and cabin filters to be changed before i got the car

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

When you say judders does it feel like the engine is about to cut out or more like it's not getting the power to the gearbox and/or tyres? I take it that it's a manual?

Warning light should have been reset when car was last serviced, it's simple a countdown to the next service, dealer may have either not serviced it or just forgot to reset the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

It might need a replacement MAF sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Seconded, I had an e39 530i automatic which would sometimes stall and cut out and it was the MAF sensor. Wasn't an expensive fix as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

It is an automatic.

Should the car have been serviced prior to being sold? I only have it 2 months and it says a service is due in 1900 kms. The warning came up first about a month ago so only a month out of the dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Thirded! I had an e46 with similar symptoms at around the four year old mark - although I had to replace a camshaft position sensor at around the same time too - it's a while back so can't remember which one was giving the problem. Neither sensor was expensive though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Service" can be subjective. I would be more interested in what was actually done in the service rather than someone saying it was serviced (potentially with required checks and actions left undone).

You claim that you bought from a "reputable main dealer". That should answer your question. Have you contacted them about this?

Take a look through the car's service history (it is in the computer) - when was the last registered serviced and what was done?

I'm not sure if you have an F10 (2009-2017) or G30 (2017-) model - on the F10's iDrive (for vehicles older than 2013 I think), go to Vehicle Information > Vehicle Status > Service Requirements > Service History

I contacted the dealer this morning and they were a bit blasé about the service issue. I asked should this not have been done as part of the pre sales check given that it was so close to the end of a servicing cycle. She said she will look into it for me.

It is a 172 if that answers your model question. I looked at the Service History and it is not marked in as having been serviced since 78,000kms. My initial post said it is now 85,000kms but it is actually 95,000kms.

Not really claiming I bought it from a reputable main dealer. I did. They are listed on the BMW.ie website as an authorized dealer. I dont want to name them as I am not really giving out about them, they were quite good to deal with. My main problem is that they are Dublin based and I am not, so leaving it back to get fixed up is a bit of a logistical headache for me.

• Advertisement

It is a 172 if that answers your model question.

F10:

G30:

I looked at the Service History and it is not marked in as having been serviced since 78,000kms. My initial post said it is now 85,000kms but it is actually 95,000kms.

I would be quite concerned if they didn't remember to update the service history and as you said it wasn't noticed afterwards.

What colour is the engine oil? You may be able to get an indication if new oil is there (it may be too late to tell)

I think the G30.

BMW 520 SE D A G 2 Jc 32

This is the description from myvehicle.ie when I enter the reg.

Cartell won't give that level of detail. Look at the headlamps should give you an indication as to the model.

Anyhow, I'd flag it with the dealer and ask them to ensure that it was serviced - maybe even offer to bring it up to them to double check (and I'm aware it is an inconvenience to you).

As for the shudder, this is not something I'd be happy with. Are you absolutely sure it is not your driving style (too low revs for a heavy car)? On the assumption is isn't you then I would ask the dealer to investigate the issue. If you can somehow film it, even better.

I presume that you got the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty (see https://approvedused.bmw.ie/benefits/)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it was bought from a main BMW dealer and came with a 2 year BMW approved used warranty then the issue can be addressed by any BMW dealer in the country. The car not being serviced at time of sale however can only be addressed by the dealer who sold the car to you. If you cannot get the car to them then it's very likely you will have to get it serviced elsewhere at your cost unless the selling dealer can come to some arrangement with a BMW dealer nearer to you to do it.

Also did you scroll into the service due warning in the idrive to identify what service item(s) are overdue? It could range from something like brake fluid to oil/filter, brake pads, etc. The generic warning on the dash is just that to inform you there is at least one service item due. You have to go into the service menu what is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

BMW Approved will only do routine servicing on the car before sale if it falls within the parameters below:

In addition, any BMW with a service due within 6,000 km/4,000 miles or displaying less than three service interval lights has the appropriate service carried out prior to delivery. The only exception is where the vehicle has the benefit of a service package where the requirement is reduced to 1,500km/1,000 miles or one service light.

I got the warning at 3,000kms left before the service was due. I only had the car a few weeks at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Another thing to check is the EGR valve getting stuck open or closed, some people reporting the car feeling like its going to stall when it was stuck.

How many miles did you drive since you bought it and when the service light came on. If you did +3000km from the time you bought it to the time the warning light first came on then it's very likely it was more than 6000km to the next service so as Stallingrad highlighted it would not have been serviced at the time of sale. You also haven't said what service item is due, not all service items are due at the same time or mileage but any one of these things due will trigger the service due warning light so you need to drill down into the service due menu to see which one is actually due.

Regarding the judder, if it is the EGR valve then check with the dealer if your car had the EGR cooler replaced as there is/was a recall on these and your car should have been included in this and had it replaced. I would have expected the dealer to replace it when they took it in as a trade-in if it were not already done by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Ask the supplying dealer if it has the service pack - a lot of BMW's would have had that added when registered in 2017, and it covers up to 100,000km or 5 years, so if it was added, whenever the next service is due, it's covered and can be done in any BMW dealer nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gatorcar

Also it's a good idea to change the oil every 10k km. The previous 520d was known for timing chain issues made worse if the oil was not changed on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had that fault on my X1, it felt like it was in the wrong gear at times and lacking power.

If you set it up for bmw connected drive you will be able to tell if it has a service pack. In that case any dealer will service it. Note certain things arent covered under the service pack, for example brake discs.

Luckily I am in Dublin next week so I have it booked in for a service with the dealer on Monday, had to chase them a bit but they agreed it should have been done. Also getting the brake discs done as I got a warning light about those as well. The lady said I have a service pack, must look into that to see what it covers.

I have to chase them up about a loan car for the day and get them to update the maps as I look like I am driving through fields half the time.

The service pack doesn't include changing brake discs or pads. Brake fluid would be included however. You need to be sitting down when you get the prices of brake discs and pads for a 5 Series from a main dealer especially if they are the upgraded M Sport blue Brembo brakes.

You can put your reg in here and it will give you the prices - www.bmwservice.ie

They said they are doing it for free as they need changing so soon after I bought the car.

That's great so.

The maps update is usually a paid service. The bmw connected drive will tell you if you have it. It is handy enough to do, You just need a large USB stick 32GB or higher and you can download it. Just plug the key in the car and away you go, It will email you a code if you need it.

Advertisement