Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to rent a property for 1 to 4 years

Options
  • 04-10-2021 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

So my Dublin city property will soon be vacant and I know I'll be selling it no later than 2026. Given current legislation gives any tenant a de facto six year lease and proposed legislation would do away with selling your property as a reason to terminate that 'lease', I'm considering selling up now.

If I thought there was a way of finding a tenant who only wanted to rent for 1 to 4 years, I would consider renting again. But how to find such a tenant? All thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Sell now invest the money and sleep easy night after night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any tenant could tell you they only intended to rent for a shorter period, and you'd have no way of knowing if they were lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sell it. More legislation slated that may never allow you to sell it.

At least not without leaving the tenant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Is there not a way to have a fixed term lease. A friend of mine is renting from two solicitors and gets a new fixed term lease every year so that it's not Part IV. But I don't know the legalities of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm on team sell it too.

Otherwise look for someone who has to move out of their house for renovations/repairs. There are lots of posts on here every year of people needing houses for 6/9 months for these reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If you are planning selling anyway you may aswell sell now. Its a sellers market and you don't know what the market will be in 2026.

Another option might be short term lets, given you are in Dublin city Air Bnb might be an option though work involved on your side. Or if you let to students you can be pretty sure of getting it back, that said they may not take the best care, swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Having a fixed term lease in place does not stop it being a Part 4, which runs in parallel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The solicitors may think that prevents Part IV but it absolutely does not.

She does not need to sign the new lease every year but it doesn't remove her Part IV rights anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Part 4 tenancy kicks in after six months and overrules anything in a lease

Leases are largely ineffective

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That does not mean that it is not Part 4. Both the terms of the lease and part 4 apply to the letting with the tenant getting the benefit of any term which is more advantageous to the tenant.

The only way to have a letting is to have a letting for 4 years is to have a letting which is outside the scope of the RTb. Some people are doing digs arrangements with students to avoid tenancies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Are digs not in the owners home? If its not in the owners home how does a digs/lodger situation work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭C14N

Just a thought but if you really were against selling you could always try renting it out specifically as student accomodation, assuming it's near any third level institutions. A bit risky since students don't have the best reputation, and you will likely be passing up any rental income in the summer months, but students will pretty dependably leave during the summer. Students in general tend not to see their accomodation as their "home" in the way people working full time do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The owners go in and cook or send someone in. I knew one guy who had his daughters going in doing the cooking. They went in and cooked dinner in the evening and stocked the fridge for breakfast at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

sell and let a first time buyer who wants to own a home buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I'll be looking for a place in Dublin in the next few months. Depending where it is and rent I'd be interested 😁

Maybe you found a tenant right here 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

Thanks for all the input. The student approach could work. I guess there is nothing stopping me from marketing the property as a 'medium-term' let and basically seeing what comfort can be drawn from the applicants situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Do repeated 3-6months short lets.

bit of a hassle but there should always be people to take it (movers, etc).

I t be afraid of yet more overnight legislation though.

Also if the person decided not to move out after 3 or 6 months you are snookered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's why you rent it to people who have house but need to move out during renovations.

I think it might be a bit hard to find someone that specific though.

But you never know maybe mistress_gi above is the answer to their prayers right here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bridryan

Renting it out to people doing renovations is a good idea. There are a lot of pyrite remediation work on houses going on where its taking 6 - 18 months.

Another option is to rent to corporate - companies (especially tech) give relocation packages which includes the first couple of months accommodation.

Advertisement