Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October - Horrorthon

• 01-10-2021 11:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I used to drop everything and have a month of horror games in October but haven't really been able to the last few years. I'm going to have a go of it this year.

I'll use this to update what games I try and progress. You can join if you want, the more the merrier but if not then fine by me.

To start I'll be considering tackling these three games first and hopefully getting through them:

Enemy Zero (saturn)

Clock Tower (SNES)

Sweet Home (Famicom/NES)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have Project Zero 2 on the Wii and never played it. Every year I say I'll play for October/Halloween. Will this be the year?

Tempted to try RE7 on PSVR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Always play RE1 just before Halloween, this year will be no different. Try break it up into 2 or 3 sessions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well horror games in October not off to a great start.

I did play a bit of Yakuza Dead Souls. It's not an amazing game but for Yakuza fans there's a lot of humour even if the gameplay is a bit rough. Some of the substories are hilarious. Won't be playing much of this as I'm only able to play when I'm visiting the parents.

Tried to get Enemy Zero working but no luck. Saturn emulation has an issue with multi disc games so if I get to the part where the disc needs to be swapped I won't be able to continue the game. Really frustrating.

I'm going to try the PC version but it being a PC version from 1998 it probably won't work.

I could just dig out the saturn but it's buried in my parents attic.

Anyway I think I might have to try the other two games first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

had planned to do it again this year as usual with one of the RE games so looking at either RE3 or RE Village

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Village is the better of the two in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm enjoying Enemy Zero. It'd very dated though. The writing is really bad and the story is just a rip off of the Aliens films. The gameplay though is genuinely terrifying. Having a gun with only 2 or 3 shots and getting hunted by enemies that are invisible and you can only tell where they are from sound is so tense. Also the gun only works are point blank range.

And game number one is down!

Enemy Zero is and interesting game that succeeds as a horror game and totally fails narratively. I actually did enjoy it but jesus the writing is dreadful.

Leaving my full thought on the game completion thread.

Think it will be Sweet Home next, the famicom/NES game that would inspire the Resident Evil franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

phasmophobia

Lineage

Alien Isolation.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Started Sweet Home last night.

What a fantastic and inventive little game. You can really see how this game influenced Resident Evil.

It's basically Resident Evil as a JRPG. You have a team of five but have to split them as you can only have a team of three in a group. You can switch between them and send them to different areas. It plays with this mechanic loads. You can even call the other team into battle if you are having a tough time.

Each character has their own unique item to use in battle or for puzzles. You have to be careful as items are one use and there's only a certain amount in the game and if you lose a character they are gone permanently. Anyway my first game ended in disaster when I lost the character with the medkit to an overpowered zombie. Going to start again and be more careful. You can save anywhere and I think I should be using that a lot more!

Really nothing else like this game, it's fantastic.

Not had a whole lot of time to play Sweet Home. I got through the first major area. Still absolutely love the game but there is one flaw, you can very easily soft lock the game. You need to use wooden planks to cross small gaps at points an these can break at random. But you can also run out of these planks and leave you characters stranded. I suppose you are supposed to only cross with a single character and hope you don't have to rescue them if the plank breaks.

At least you can save anywhere so you can save before messing with wooden planks and restarting and reloading is near instantaneous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Would Alan Wake class as horror? Planning on picking that up in next week or so. Also have Little Nightmares 2 to dive into

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dead Space for me probably

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll install Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then uninstall it after an hour. Probably try SOMA again, and uninstall it after another hour.

Then play some Mario or something to get my mind out of the gutter 😂

If you like sci-fi you should stick with Soma. It has a really satisfying ending and one of the few examples of good hard sci-fi in games rather than the space elves of mass effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Finished RE3 and am playing Blair Witch now

I miss him him sayings STARS!! every 5 seconds from the original

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Let us know how Blair witch is, wouldn't mind giving that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Going to be streaming a VR Horror fest for friends on Sunday. Have a heart rate monitor hooked up to OBS so people can see my heart rate while playing. Might do public streams after Halloween night also.

A mixture of Oculus Quest and PCVR games.

Bought the following:

Phasmophobia

Resident Evil 4 VR

The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners

The Exorcist: Legion VR

Wraith The Oblivion Afterlife

Lies Beneath

Dreadhalls

Paranormal Activity The Lost Soul

Propogation VR (FREE) + Co Op DLC

FOREWARNED

Westworld Awakening

And might do RE7 and Until Dawn Rush of Blood on PSVR.

Doesn't look like I'll get to clock tower this year. Still only a third of the way through sweet home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Just added Blair Witch VR and Layers of Fear VR to the library now.

Both for €28 quid on Steam atm, and discounted separately also:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just finished Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. Didn't realise until afterwards that it was developed by The Chinese Room and only published by Frictional Games, so an indirect sequel to The Dark Descent.

It definitely felt closer to Dear Esther in terms of gameplay. It was more linear and there was less need for hiding from monsters like in Penumbra/Amnesia/SOMA. I ended up just holding down the run button, only slowing down when my lamp flickered. Short experience overall at ~3.5 hours.

I must get Rebirth at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Gotta play RE4 in VR.. and some Dreadhalls of course

Advertisement