Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

That's great, we are in the same wave. Have you thought about race strategy or a goal time yet?

I can't find any information on what pacers will be with that wave so hard to plan yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Don't really have a goal time in mind yet. I don't ever really follow pacers so probably won't for this. I ran a decent half in Antrim where I paced it well so I'm thinking I'll try that again. I had a certain pace in mind till the halfway point then decided how to progress, hopefully this will be the same.

Do you usually run with a pacer? Any target time yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I've actually only ever ran in two races that had a pacer, my running career unfortunately seems to have coincided with Covid. I had intended to use a pacer in Dublin 2019 but that didn't work out as I didn't arrive in time and got caught out.

I think for a marathon that is supposedly as flat as Manchester a pacer won't really make too much of a difference for things other than moral. If one happens to be leaving at a convenient time when we get going I'll follow them for a few miles and see how things are going.

In terms of time, I've been following the advanced Hanson plan with training times based off 3:15. I haven't raced at all on this training block but did do a tempo half at the weekend where I felt strong so opened up for the last 5k and got a half PB of 1:33, so taking the rough method of doubling a half and adding 10 minutes seems to indicate I'm not a million. Miles away from 3:15.

My main goal is to get to the line fit and finish strong regardless of time that'll be an achievement.

Manchester Marathon Week 10

Mon 13th – Rest day

Tues 14th - W/U, 10*400's C/D

A bit of an emotional night & morning so set off to the PP for this as I find it very peaceful there. Ran my reps on The Furze road between the bollards. Ran by feeling for some of them as the GPS kept jumping. Enjoyed this run on a lovely sunny day.

Weds 15th – AM 1k,2k,1k,2k,1k          PM – 15*200’s

AM Dropped my son off to school then set off for this run. Enjoyed it & the legs felt good.

PM Collected my daughter from work then went out for this, I always like the 200s, nice for keeping the form. Was a lovely evening too with beautiful skies.

Thurs 16th - W/U, 6*1k with 5 strides C/D

This felt fine, don’t really remember much about it.

Fri 17th - W/U, 10*400s, C/D

Again I don’t remember too much about this run.

Sat 18th - Rest

Enjoyed watching Liverpool win, cracking goal by Keita!

Sun 19th – 2m w/u, 13m 4 – 8mins slower than my best, 2m c/d

Had quite a restless emotional night but still wanted to get this done early enough. Went out just after 8, weather was lovely. Decided to stay around Tallaght for this run. Set off for the warmup then I was hoping to average between 7:30/40 for the 13miles. Started off feeling good, averaging about 7:35ish at this stage & it felt good. Around mile 5 my mind started wandering, I couldn’t shake it. The pace started slipping to 7:40, then 41,42. No matter what I did it seemed to stay here. My legs didn’t feel overly tired, but I just couldn’t seem to get the pace back to where I wanted it. The route was getting hillier too & the wind seemed to be picking up for the last few miles, I wasn’t sure if I was just going to walk at this stage. It would take a lot for me to give up & just walk so I just agreed with myself that if the pace has to be that bit slower then so be it, just don’t stop – so I didn’t. Finished it with an average pace of 7:45. Wasn’t what I wanted but we’ll draw a line in the sand & move on. Hopefully I will run well in Manchester, sure who knows really? I think this is around the time doubts start setting in. Main thing for now for me to work on is my mind, if I can crack that I have a much better chance of a good run.

Miles for the week – 55.9

Miles for the year – 1,783.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's an interesting session goal for the 13 miles - pretty tough run, essentially 13 miles at around marathon pace, depending on how you interpret the "4-8 mins". Not sure of your target time (have I missed it?) but I would have thought your pace there wasn't a million miles away.

Thanks D, it was tough enough but ideally I would have liked to have stayed at the 7:35/40 range but sure I will move on🤗

I don't have a proper target time in mind , trying to keep the pressure off myself really. For now I think I will set a realistic pace for halfway & then reevaluate where I am at that stage. Obviously a nice PB would be very very welcome too😂

Manchester Marathon Week 11

Mon 20th – Very easy few miles

Didn't get out till the evening for this but I really enjoyed it!

Tues 21st - W/U, 5*400's C/D

A very humid afternoon out there.

Weds 22nd – W/U, 5*400's, 7*200's, C/D

This was supposed to be 10*400's but for some reason I have fallen out of love with the 400's... not that they are hard or anything but mentally doing them I'm just not feeling them right now so was really happy when S suggested this alternative 😁

Thurs 23rd - W/U, 6*1k with 5 strides C/D

A beautiful morning so decided to head into the park, I love the Park especially in the Autumn when all the leaves are changing colour & falling off the trees. Did this around the Furze/O/S loop, felt good for it & was nice to kick on for the strides.

Fri 24th - W/U, 6*1K, C/D

Another really warm afternoon, was sweating after this run.

Sat 25th - W/U, 15*200's, C/D

A sunny morning for these, always enjoy the 200's. Was thinking how close it is to Manchester now, feels like it's flown in! Was thinking as i ran by a traffic speed display sign & it said slow down, that I miss the buzz & support of the novice thread! I am so happy that I found it & was part of it for my very 1st Marathon ☺️

Sun 26th – 15 miles with 1min surges

Decided to head back to the park for my long run with a rough idea of a route. Another beautiful morning, ran in a vest top & shorts. Wanted to try the shorts out for Manchester as a back up pair, really nice Puma ones, they were lovely to run in absolutely no issues. Have a pair of New Balance shorts on the way after refreshing the page for the last couple of weeks as the 5inch ones kept selling out (1st world problems🙄) Will test them out once they come. Parked in the Visitor centre & set off. There was a bit of a breeze but it was welcomed as it was very warm, especially when the sun came out. Lot's of runners out today which was lovely to see & passed C from around these parts running with his crew, gave a little nod/wave but he only spotted me as I was gone by. Enjoyed the 1min surges for this run, made the legs feel light & form good. I ran down the O/S side & I ended up on the grass as there were so many walkers. Was lovely running through the leaves, I was kicking them up as I ran like a little kid haha, overall was a really nice run. Was dreaming of my cold bottle of lucozade & wispa bar I had stashed in the car & I enjoyed every bit of them.

Starting to get excited now for Manchester, it's where most of my energy, focus & sanity has gone over the last 7 weeks especially - really hoping I do myself justice 🤗

As the saying goes... Que Será, Será, whatever will be, will be❤️

Miles for the week – 54.1

Miles for the year – 1,837.3

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Wishing you all the very best this weekend. With all you have been through of late you are doing brilliantly.

I just caught up on your log and read your grief, brilliantly put. The feeling of selfishiness is survial mode. Can relate after being sick, this is what it is. You are inwardly focused and that is more than ok. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just take each day as it comes.

Thanks so much A, I've a bit longer to wait for my marathon, it's the following weekend 🤗

Yes the grief has changed a lot of things with me & how I feel but I suppose that's all part of it. Yes it's baby steps at the moment, just seeing how I am each day & going with it. Manchester has been a good focus for me, the training has really helped me. Looking forward to running it now💛

• Advertisement

Manchester Marathon Week 11

Mon 27th – Rest Day

Tues 28th - W/U, 5*400's, 7*200's, C/D

Went out to the Park for this, ran these on the Furze Road. Passed by an elderly man walking his dog a few times, 1st time he shouted "God I wish I had your energy", then 2nd time "And your pace!" I just smiled back at him, I love the friendliness of most people when I'm running in the park.

Weds 29th – AM W/U, 6M with surges C/D - PM W/U, 15*200's, C/D

Got out after dropping my son to school as my daughter was looking for a lift to the airport as she was heading away to the sun(not jealous at all). Run felt good.

Left my 2nd run till 6ish, again no problems here, always enjoy this one! Found my old DCM19 training top & wore it out as I felt chilly heading out the door but sure the top ended up tied around my waist!

Thurs 30th - W/U, 2*1k,2*1k with 5 strides C/D

Liked that this run was a bit different, enjoyed it.

Fri 1st Oct - W/U, 4*400's, 6*200's, C/D

How is it October already? Feels like time is flying but dragging by too if that makes any sense at all!

I had a few things on today & was hoping to get this done in between apps but that just didn't happen. My daughter booked me in to get my hair done(I don't think it has ever been this bad😲) Unfortunately it took a good bit longer than expected so I was feeling quite anxious, anyway I finally have blonde hair again & a fringe I can see through 😉 Went out for my run but not really sure how I even got out the door with the way I was feeling - glad to have it done!

Sat 2nd - Rest Day

Sun 3rd – W/U, 6M@7:05/15, C/D

For the 2nd time this week I decided to run in the park. Had received my new runners yesterday, the NB Rebel V2, a bargain on Lifestyle sports, no choice on colours so lucky for me I like pink/purple runners😉 They felt really nice from the start, very airy, good toe space, spongy but not as spongy as the Novablasts, overall I was happy in them. I also wore my New NB sorts, these felt great they never moved on my thighs which was great as some of the tight shorts end up rolling up, I think these will be the ones I wear next week. Set of for the warm up down to the Furze/OS loop to do the 6 miles at pace. The wind was quite strong along Chesterfield then onto the OS side but got a nice break on the Furze side. I felt good but then doubts started creeping in after about a mile & a half, lot's & lot's of doubts🙄 I really had to fight hard with my head as I knew physically I wasn't struggling at all!! I will put it down to Maranoia at this stage & just pray that it doesn't fook me up next Sunday!!

Overall another good week of training. I really can't believe this time next week I will hopefully have completed my 2nd marathon😊 It was originally just myself going then my 3 daughters & bf's decided to come support me, for this I am very grateful🤗 They plan a night of 2 of partying (we are going Fri evening till Mon evening) but I will just be relaxing & preparing for Sunday then hopefully a celebratory meal & drinks Sunday night, either way we will toast my dad❤️

Miles for the week – 42.4

Miles for the year – 1,879.7

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

All the best for taper week and of course the race itself. You're in fantastic shape.

Ah thanks D, bet you say that to all the runners 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Moat important question....what runners are you wearing on race day? RC elite?

Only if it’s true!

Can’t believe you bought yet another pair. You must have even more than AMK. How many in the rotation now?

Ah D it's ages since I bought a new pair & in fairness they were a proper bargain😉 I have 4 pairs in rotation that I use mostly, then a couple more pairs if I feel like a change. Variety is the spice of life😜😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

"a couple more pairs" 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Best of luck on the weekend Lainey.

• Advertisement

Ah OK. Six isn’t too bad, I probably have as many myself.

On the other hand... 😯😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Six! You have obviously taken the reference to a couple literally! 2 additional pairs to the rotation 🤣🤣 I'd guess that a couple means at least 10 in Laineyspeak

Eh did we not sign some kind of confidentiality agreement 🤔🙄

Just for reference D asked how many pairs I have in rotation not how many pairs I own😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of running to you in Manchester E. I don't doubt you will do very well and do yourself & your ould fella very very proud! You've been super consistent, well forever really, since you started running and this is just the victory lap, or one of many victory laps even. It's lovely that your daughters are going to be there with you, marathons are so emotional at the best of times so we can only imagine how this one will feel for you ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

All the best this weekend E. Hope it all goes well for you and the running gods are on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Best of luck this weekend. Have a great race, work done, enjoy it and smash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck with it but most of all enjoy it. 👍

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

All the best this weekend Lainey, hope you have a great race. It's been nice following your journey and thanks for sharing and logging during what was a very emotional period for you. I'm sure running for you and the community support felt like an extra hand on your back for the past few months and no matter what happens this weekend you'll always have that in your back pocket. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I haven't been on the training logs in ages E so first of all condolences on the passing of your dad.

I'm sure he will be there with you in spirit on Sunday and you are going to make him so proud. You have a serious block of training done in the last 2 years. Put your faith in it and you will smash it.

Have a great weekend and enjoy it. We're all rooting for you!

Advertisement