Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gameweek 8 - Transfers

• 02-10-2021 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭

Early doors but Ronaldo to Lukaku looking probable. CR7 without pens while getting his minutes managed in a misfiring team is alot of money for someone I wont be captaining for a few weeks at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

Greenwood to saka. Rom to Jimi and fodder to auba I’m looking at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

While you may argue about Ronaldo, I don't see how brining in Rom makes sense - he's not scoring, he's hardly shooting, and Tuchel himself said that only Mount and Kovacic are on the same wave length as Rom at the moment. Werner is also there and getting goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Ditching Bachmann.

Will start Livra for Jesus assuming he gets back too late.

Greewood out for a hit probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Is it time to get rid of Lukaku? Good fixtures upcoming but not scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭macraignil

Thinking of Greenwood out for Townsend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Spacecraft becoming too hard to ignore for much longer

First time Norwich keep a CS and Williams doesn't play - may need to keep an eye on that - ned playing bench with so much rotation/injuries in teams.

Saka seemed to have gone off with some sort of injury too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Saka seemed to have gone off with some sort of injury too.

He walked off on his own.

International break, he should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Want Son but reluctant to get him after the international break.

Yea It’s Son or Vardy for me. Son is everything good about Spurs and returns nearly every time he plays.

Vardy on the other hand is joint top goal scorer and is quietly going about his business.

Vardy unlikely to get injured over the international break though unless in training, will see how they both get on over next two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

I have plenty of cash itb and have a front 3 currently of Ronaldo,Antonio and St Maximin who I brought in as a punt last week.

Think I will give the Newcastle flyer another chance but wondering should I go with the masses and swop Ronaldo for Rom.

Have a feeling Ronaldo is going to want to prove a point against Leicester who are leaking goals compared to last year so might hold him for that game.

Like the form Vardy is in so might actually bring him in for Ronaldo in GW10 if both Ronaldo and Rom misfire in the next GW.

Greenwood predicted to drop in price tonight in case that makes a difference to anyone shipping him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭Xander10

Going to wait until after internationals, reckon I will need the 2 ft I have, at least.

Two weeks is a long time in politics, will wait until the last minute after assessing injury list. Have it in mind to trade Son for Havertz, otherwise reasonably happy with squad. Salah out of reach unless generating cash with -8 shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wildcard time, Shaw Torres toney amarty Fernandes and brownhill

Wait for the international break to see who's in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Will wait until the Internationals, but weighing up axeing Ronaldo and redistributing the funds to City players for a 4 point hit. A bit frustrated that I cracked to the pressure and didn't stick to my guns on Ronaldo and brought him in on my WC after the Newcastle game.

Ronaldo, Gray and Omobamidele out for Jesus, Foden and Cancelo is what I'm thinking.

Alternatively I could give Ronaldo one more game, bring in one of Cancelo or Foden, and carry 2 transfers into GW9. Leicester have been leaky, but I can't get over the feeling that City will do one of their customary 5-0 home hammerings against Burnley and stocking up is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Brought in Cancelo on WC, and happy to have him in as I think we'll need City players for the next 3. Would like an attacker but can't afford one without a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Out for that trio (Doucouré, Spacecraft & Gray) I chose Gray on WC

Seems like the wrong choice 🙄

Also chose the wrong Chelsea def - Alonso

FS

I dunno what game you guys were watching yesterday, other than Foden City were poor enough. City conceded two and could easily have been 3. KdB looked tired towards the end. Sure City could score 5 in their next game, but just as likely is that Foden/Jesus could easily be on the bench for next few games - Sterling/Mahrez/Torres all be looking for game time.

Just look at the lads who got burnt with Torres - holding and holding for that one game - and he's not even getting a 5 min run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The "not even getting a 5 minute runout" is the best thing Pep does for FPL. Much prefer a 4m defender getting autosubbed that a one point cameo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Not really based on yesterday, but fwiw I thought both teams were poor in the opening 20 which was perhaps understandable after midweek CL - especially when you see the amount of big teams across Europe struggling. City started strangling the game in the end of the first half and then both teams showed their class in the 2nd half. The two most impressive teams this season for me.

As I said the 3 City would not really be based on yesterday, more so based on the fact they consistently beat the dross at home with big scorelines. 5-0 City at home to the likes of Norwich, WBA, Burnley, Newcastle etc... is a very common scoreline. Burnley have been very poor this season.

City have the best defence in the league in terms of both goals against and XG, and they won't be up against the best attacking team in the league away from home every week, so a defender seems a must - Cancelo has the attacking threat too. Rotation is a worry, but I think the attacking upside is worth it. Foden I think is a player that Pep will play more often than not when fit, and his finish against Liverpool I think puts him in the team. Jesus I'm less enthused about but that's where the gap would be, and both his underlying stats and his actual goals/assists are pretty good for his price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The problem for me with City is where do they all play? I was all set on bringing in Grealish (because he is most nailed) until yesterday where he seemed to playing as a false nine. Foden had a stormer and if he was playing in that position every week Id pick him but is the LWF position not Grealish/Sterling? That before ya factor in Mahrez & Torres. It's mental the options they have but trying to find someone longterm for FPL is an absolute nightmare. I'm thinking of just going with defence as a result

I mentioned this before the GW, but saying that City have the best defense isn't saying much when you look at who they have played. I think a defender like Cancelo or even walker is good buy, but it was more the attacking side and wanting 3 of their players that I would see issues with. Foden's history against Liverpool is quite good from what I recall. But imo Foden is just like Torres - he'll shine in some games and then you won't see him for weeks upon end. You think how Mahrez started the season and where is he now?

Mahrez/Sterling and Torres could all easily start the next game with Jesus/Foden on bench. And then your into playing the pep roulette - do you keep them for the next GW, or the one after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Seems like the right time to look at Wolves attackers....or should I hwang on for another while?

Given potential rotation problems at Chelsea particular in defense, is there anything to be said to doubling up on Werner and Lukaku? Werner looked sharp the other day and was unlucky to have his first "goal" ruled out, whereas Lukaku did very little. Lukaku ownership would mean it's risky to sell him. But at Werner's price point there isn't much else firing - thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭chrisd2019

Would it be madness to replace Ronaldo with Kane?

Surely last years top scorer has got to start hitting the target soon....

I know Chelsea are top of the league but I think rotation is a serious problem throughout their team from an FPL point of view. Werner has only played 90 minutes in three games after 7 game weeks and a return of 1 goal and 1 assist over that time may not be enough to persuade Tuchel to play him more over the rest of the season. At the exact same price Jesus has 2 goals and 4 assists over the same time frame so not sure what you mean when you say there isn't much else firing at his price point. There are a number of players that are cheaper that have got better returns so far this season than Werner has from an FPL point of view.

Since Werner got the first 90 mins though he's looked good and has played, so he has 3 90 mins appearance in a row under his belt. Performance over the last 3 games you would say he has been better than Lukaku, but we probably all think that he Lukaku won't be dropped. Werner should have had two against Liverpool except for a very dodgy free kick where the ref went back a good bit to review an incident - i'm sure there will be plenty of similar incidents this season where refs won't go back a number of phases to see if a foul happened.

As for cheaper players - yes there are a few alright, Antonio being the most obvious, but if you knew for example that Werner and Jesus were going to play the next 5 games, you would probably pick Werner over Jesus? Jesus is in a team with no real recognized striker, and who himself wants to play on the wing - but has lot of competition for places. I would have more faith that Tuchel would play Werner than Pep will play Jesus as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

The problem with Werner is that he is competing with Havertz, Mount & Ziyech for 1 spot.

With Jesus (and City attackers in general) there are a bunch of 8 players competing for 5 positions as Pep has a lot of different combinations.

• Advertisement

I might wait and see who starts the next game for Chelsea, I think the Norwich game is one were with his pace he could score well. Tuchel himself said that only Mount and Kocavic are on the same wavelength as Rom - which isn't great like. Mount as fit enough for bench last week - so he was probably fit to start but didn't - and he hasn't been great this season yet either.

Advertisement