Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car newbie - advice please...

• 01-10-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Long time lurker. I love classic cars, but not the oldie stuff - 1995-2002 or so is my sweet spot.

I have max NCD and a modern car, but I have a hankering for a cheapie 20 year old (car, not woman).

Ok, 20 years is not really a 'classic' car, but I believe I can at least get classic insurance.

I have very little in the way of car DIY skills. I can change the oil, spark plugs, the usual small jobs, have a car tool kit etc.

Problem is, due to an... oversight, I can only drive autos.

Any suggestions for cars? BMW & Merc of course, MX5s, even MR2s. Don't really care about driving fast tbh, just comfort and coolness.

Budget: €very little. Maybe €2000 max, assuming classic insurance.

Ideas welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BMW E39 520i auto. The entry level car with the quintessentially BMW straight six petrol engine. Also only 2l, so relatively cheap tax (€710)

Get a really nice one and it will appreciate significantly in value over the next 5-10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Good idea. Excellent car, lovely looks, can have fantastic specs.

Am I right saying that a second car over 20 years old can be insured on a classic policy?

Yes that would usually be the case. Look up the classic car insurance thread on here and start making some phone calls. Expect to pay something like €100-€300 per year (provided you are over 25)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

a little bit biased but a MK1 MX5 ? (If you can find a good one ). MK2 Golf GTI. porsche Boxster, Benz W124 ( again biased )

MX5 works for me, always loved them. Boxster definitely, W124 another great car, happy to be seen in one!

Finding them in auto form might be a bit tougher though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

I would aim for a 30 year old to avail of the classic road tax rate - €56/year. That is the biggest saving in running costs.

all bar the golf available as an auto - I think the w124 is the only one it suits though. ( although I know nothing of the boxster auto )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Saab convertibles are classy and very comfortable.

footnote - if you don't have a garage forget buying a classic. The weather will kill it.

A Boxster for €2k? You wouldn't even get just the engine for that 🤣

All great cars you mention, but probably very difficult to find in both auto and within budget...

totally missed the 2k budget. Sorry, I dont know of anything useable youd get for that money. Maybe a mk2 MX5 or Mr2 - but I think for 2k youd be buying trouble

• Advertisement

I find looking 2k isnt a lot these days online. But someone mentioned SAABs here they are nice in the 95 version and a lot of Autos around. So maybe one of those? Try avoid English registered cars due to the Nox charges and import tax. It will eat a lot of your 2k.

Good luck and enjoy it the search is as fun as the catch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Here's a 93 tested to next July available on budget.

Of course you are taking a chance but as with any car 20 years old so bring a mechanic and be prepared to walk away.

If it's a good one you'll have some fun next Summer.

Saab is a great suggestion. Plenty of youngtimers within budget and with the brand now long gone they are a bit special. Was parked beside a new model 9-5 recently and really admired that car (although unfortunately most of them are diesels, so zero appeal to me)

Owned a very cheap original 9-5 myself for a few years during the recession and that car was very good to me. A very pleasant place to be in. Would highly recommend one as a classic car now.

Great suggestion, I considered a 95 Aero years ago (bought a 156 instead - big mistake). Lots of car for the money, reasonably reliable and very cool. Plus a fair few autos around.

I'd love an MX-5 but they're thin on the ground.

May even consider getting my manual licence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

€2000 wont get you much of a W124/W201. Both models in good condition are becoming hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

That's a lot of car for the money alright. Like some poster already said, classic cars without indoor storage of some kind doesn't work well in Ireland.

Depends on the car and the age. A Saab would do fine under a tarp. A W124 would turn into a fine powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Saab for me a nice 900 or 93.

I convinced my brother in law ( not a car guy ) to buy a 9-3 turbo convertible a while back. Great car but when things started going wrong mechanics started using the lack of dealerships as an excuse to bump the prices up. nicely made bit of kit though, and quick.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

I bought this saab myself. Looks good enough. Collected and brought to my sons house. Haven't seen it yet. Back home next sunday myself to pick it up. it will go on my classic policy in January when its 20 years old. Plan is to tax it for the summer and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Twenty years old will net plenty of cars built when galvanising was properly done. Galvanised vehicles with a hard life, or poorly made, will rust, even newer ones, but plenty of older cars of that age are largely rust free. A high quality cover is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I’m in a similar position myself but I’m thinking of a budget of around €5k and I’m looking for a convertible/roadster. I originally liked the MX5 but they are a bit too small for me. I’m now considering a BMW Z3. They seem to be good cars and don’t suffer too bad from rust. I’m thinking of a 1.9 4 cylinder or a 2.0 6 cylinder. Just need to find a good one…

Spoke to a classic car mechanic he said that the older stuff was best for lasting against rust i.e. 90's. said that metal quality has gone down in the last 15 years even Mercedes are rusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Merc's have always rusted, one of the most notorious cars for it when you consider the 'premium' aspect to them. I'm saying this from experience, I've owned about 10 from the 1975-95 era and have seen plenty of W210/211's and W220/221's end their life early because of rust. Stil lmy favourite car brand by a long shot though. (the older ones anyway).

If you are thinking Mercedes, anything after 1992 will have rust issues with the possible exception of the W140.

And any Mercedes from 1992 or before will have even worse rust issues 😂

• Advertisement

I heard that the old audi's of the 80's/90's were not prone to rust. Some say that the Peugeots were good too.

Advertisement