Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I change 2010 Golf for Corolla Hybrid?

Options
  • 02-10-2021 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all,

Been driving a 2012 Golf 1.6 Bluemotion for the past 6 years (imported). Some initial problems with EGR valve and Flywheel but got them sorted and it's been going fine for me. There 154k on the clock. No problem on NCT last June and smoke test was fine. Getting 550 miles out of a full tank. Bought it when I was driving 30-40 mins to work each day. We've moved closer to work now (15-20 mins on country roads) and (hopefully) have our first baby on the way. Bit of rust on the Golf. Been looking at maybe upgrading and a 2021 Corolla Hybrid Saloon caught my eye. On sale from Hertz who'll take my trade in for 4k-total cost 23k. 16k on the clock.

I'm not sure what to do. Would a Corolla be more fuel efficient for the short journeys? Is 23k a good price? Or should I just stick to what I'm driving currently? Should I stay away from Hertz?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

why would anyone buy a saloon ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Fuel wise there won't be a huge difference in costs. Only thing that stands out from your post is that 4k seems low for your golf, unless the corolla is extremely well priced. But overall, 19k to move up 9 years in same class of car seems OK, not extortionate by any stretch.

You'll sell the golf handy in the private market if you can make that work to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If Hertz are selling it then chances are it was one of their rental cars. Might not have had too many drives this year due to Covid but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just to clarify, is it a 2012 or a 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

Hi, it's a 2010. Apologies! Also, the Corolla is €27k. €4k trade in for my Golf. Total finance is €23k total.

The MPG is really what concerns me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Whatcar got 60mpg in mixed driving, so I wouldn't worry about fuel economy. That comfortably beats the diesel car I drive I couldn't get close to 60mpg in any situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Mpg in them for short journeys could only be beaten by a plug in hybrid or ev. Nothing else would come close. They would beat most diesels on motorways too.

Check the guarantee you’re getting on the Corolla.

i appreciate you have a change in circumstances- Congrats-and yes, a newer car may well be required- but, try and concentrate less on ongoing running costs for the moment and look more at annual spend on a car.

Youll have:

Depreciation ( some car makers depreciate more than others)- Toyota is respectable enough

cost of credit (depending on what interest rate you go for assuming you’re funding this through a loan)

Tax- while it may go up for all cars over time, the sort of car you’re currently looking at won’t make much dent in the wallet if it does

Insurance - could be significant but again for this car, you’re likely in a lower bracket

servicing -as above and Toyota are known overall as reliable

running costs (fuel)

it all adds up to an annual figure. It sounds like your daily commute isn’t that far - as a result, whether you get 60mpg or 45mpg, you’re not going to notice much difference in your wallet at the end of the year.

I’d also consider what you’ll need as a new parent- storage space, boot space and very important ease of access.

I get the feeling you haven’t totally researched everything’- take a step back before making a final decision - I don’t think what you’ve posted sounds like a bad deal- but does it meet your growing needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

IN reality a Toyota hybrid is not going to give you better MPG. You would be better looking if a PHEV will do the distance on battery with the petrol as a back up. Or if shorter just a full electric

Or keep the Golf till it falls off the road, with 1 kid the Golf is plenty big enough for everythign

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well in that case you are upgrading to a bigger car 11 years younger for 23k which is a pretty good deal.

You will have 2+ years left on the manufacturers guarantee.

The MPG should not be a problem as said in other posts.

If it all checks out and you are happy with the car there is no reason you won't be still driving it in 10 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

they're super reliable, and apparently the latest ones really will do diesel mpg, or better. The latest Corolla looks like a massive improvement on its predecessors, inside and out. And in fairness to Toyota, they've kept proper independent rear suspension, which means better handling, but also a more comfortable ride, rather than cheaping out like VW has done.

Plus being a hybrid, no range or plugging in nonsense like with EV or even PHEV (though I acknowledge that could be a useful option for the OP), although the fuel tank is a bit small at just 42 litres. Other than the tiny fuel tank, I can't think of any reason not to get one, I would definitely like to take one for a drive and see what they're like. I've driven hybrids from Honda and Suzuki, and I'd have one over a diesel every time, being petrol the drive is much smoother than diesel, and even though the automatic is CVT, it for some reason works much better than such systems do in a standard petrol car. I don't understand why, but they do.

Advertisement