Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT in July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

Check the reg on the nct website and it will tell you. Extensions depended on the age of car, if your nct is out or not and other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

That was only because NCT centres were closed for a period in 2021 - They are fully operational since July (No extensions needed since then)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

check by entering reg on nct website, mine wasnt due until year end and it has been extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

My car was due for its NCT in July 2021- got a notification before then to say it was extended by 4 months and will be due November instead. When I tried to log on to the booking website a couple of weeks ago it warned me that I was trying to book too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I contacted them about this & apparently the website isn't always correct when checking & they then advised to check my existing disc. They really are a shower of w*****s.....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement

Ignore the error/warming and go to the next screen. Then they show you that date. That warning screen is really silly and wrong a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Mine due 28th September and no extension

Thanks for that, good thing you told me. However, because if that stupid warning I hadn't booked for mid November and currently the only available dates at my local test centre are mid October or mid December!!!!! I'll keep logging in to check nearer the time or ring them instead.... Grrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Definitely call instead of checking the site. I find that the direct contact usually gets me further than hitting refresh every few minutes on their website. 🙂

Ring them and they can give you hidden slots, main issue is they are usually at a day and time that they decide so may be inconvenient. You can also check online late in the evening and check nearby centres and dates as sometimes cancellations are added to website late in evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If your NCT is due mid November then surely mid October is the ideal time for an appointment. Doesn't the rule that you can do the NCT up to 90 days before it's due date without affecting the expiry date of your new NCT certificate still apply? Your car could be put through its NCT any time from mid August without affecting it's next due date.

Surely that's preferable to doing the NCT mid November, possibly needing something done for a retest and scrambling around looking for a garage while the clock is ticking down on the validity of your current NCT certificate?

It does still apply. Just be warned it's 90 days, not 3 months, I use an online date calculator to do NCT as early as possible, so I have plenty of time to order new tyres online or buy a replacement car before the nct is up and I am committing an offence by driving it in public. Doing extra early also allows you to cancel booking and rebook if you can't make the date or say the exhaust falls off.

Fair points - I guess I'm just an eternal optimist and assume the car will pass. I do very low mileage and got the car serviced about 2 months ago. But you're right, there may be something that causes it to fail.

Advertisement