Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will we look lazy using electric bike on charity cycles?

• 28-09-2021 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My friend and I are hoping to do pink ribbon cycle next year. We would normally just do short leisurely cycles. Her brother has a bike hire company and has offered us electric bikes for use for the day.

Does anyone know if any cyclists use electric bike at this or similar events?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kind of against the spirit of the whole thing, no?

Bit like doing a marathon and taking short cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Unless there's an impediment which means you are unable to use a normal bicycle, then you'd look worse than lazy, in my eyes anyway. The whole point of these charity events is that those who participate go that extra mile and put a lot of effort, usually physical, to show how committed they are to their cause.

If you're on a mortised bike, you may as well go on a full fat motorcycle or better still,a car, in case the weather is unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Who cares about the optics. Raising money for a good cause is the important thing. If you never did the cycle and passed along the money I wouldn’t care as as a donor.

I would say that as long as you are letting the donors know that it's an electric bike, it should be grand.

Will we look lazy using electric bike on charity cycles?

First, forget about what other people think. You'll live a longer, happier life

Second, looking lazy, see first point

Third, using ebikes, see first point

Go and enjoy yourself. Hell with the begrudgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's a charity cycle, the important thing is the numbers participating and the money raised. Struggling or worse still, not doing it at all so as not to use electric bikes would be a sad state of affairs.

Just don't hide the fact that it is an electric bike when asking people to donate. Or don't take glee in being less out of breath than someone on a conventional bike or whatever.

Bear in mind, an electric bike will give some assistance, but only to a certain level and for a certain amount of time/distance. You'll still have to put in effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

You are asking this question on a cycling forum, where it is likely to elicit strong responses, as above.

I think it very likely that the vast amount of people who would be inclined to sponsor you for doing this event couldn't care less what type of bike you do the event on. In fact, I'd imagine once most people have donated, they will give little to no subsequent thought about the event at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A marathon is a race to see who can cover the distance under their own steam in the shortest time.

A charity bike ride would be more similar to a protest march where numbers participating is the main thing, not how they are participating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this. it's not a race, it's not a test. it's for charity.

if more people would do charity cycles if people weren't worried about being sneered at for using e-bikes, everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I think the vast majority of people couldn’t care less and would have the view “If it gets them out on the bike, electric or not, that’s better than not getting out.”

At the same time you may encounter a few who judge it differently, and even one or two who feel the need to pass some remark or stink look, unfortunately. Such is life.

As recommended above, feck the begrudgers, and go for it. You could even embrace the e-bike element, making it a bit of a theme for your collecting efforts and again on the day, with a funny team name on a T-shirt (“Too posh to push”?)

In the end it’s for the charity. They set the rules so as long as they’re ok with it you’re good to go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The whole point of these charity events is that those who participate go that extra mile and put a lot of effort, usually physical, to show how committed they are to their cause.

i don't understand this attitude. yes, it might work when there's a significant physical element to help publicise the event, but many charity sportives (i'm not sure how the pink ribbon one works) raise their funds from the entry fees from the participants rather than off garnering interest from joe soap who otherwise wouldn't care.

The idea that you should be pushing yourself in a charity race of any description or you're not dong it right is nonsense. My most memorable moment from any charity/sponsered event was watching 3 women who had entered the event strolling along smoking fags and eating what looked like breakfast rolls while doing the actual event

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be of the mindset that the important thing is the fundraising and then secondary is the fact that you are out on a bike. The more people seen on bikes means that more might to decide to hop on one. The type of bike is largely irrelevant - if you were 90 and turned up on an ebike, many people would be queueing up to give you kudos!

However, I would advise that depending on how long the charity cycle is, you could run out of battery charge and end up using as much energy as you would have on a regular bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

As long as you don't expect a donation from Mikael Colville-Andersen, it seems ok to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

go for it, its for charity, ignore the ignorant, and have a great day, oh and thank you for taking part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

It's not a race (is it?), so who cares. It's a day out for a cause.

And if it is a race just don't try to claim you won :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Obviously it will look lazy.

Just because it is for charity doesn't give you carte blanche. Many people will have trained and worked hard and part of the day is the sense of occasion and being in it together. If people start turning up in random e-powered devices then I'm sure the organisers will not be too happy. There are a multitude of charity cycles and if you do one where many people are not cycling you'll be less inclined to do it again and the charity will suffer. You have been offered an e-bike but I'm sure you could get a regular bike instead.

If you feel you can't do the ride on a normal bike, try a shorter distance if available or just give a donation instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

people are mental, its a bloody charity run! best of luck to those that have trained hard, but seriously, its not a race!

• Advertisement

Just because it is for charity doesn't give you carte blanche.

carte blanche? what? *there are no rules to break*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You'd be more silly if you didnt do it because you cared what people thought.

If anything, charity cycles should be a welcoming environment for ebike riders. A lot of people on ebikes are new to cycling. Going on a big 80k cycle on their own around the back roads of North County Dublin, or wherever, is not something they have the confidence to take on.

A Charity Cycle, especially if there are really big numbers, would be a (relatively) safe way to do this for the newbie.

Does anyone know how long this cycle is, or the route?

Also, carte blanche, will ye stop. It literally makes no difference whether or not people have trained for a charity event. The best you can do is set a pb of some sort. Nobody is "winning" this any more than you can win the women's mini marathon (which, by the way, has a large number of men dressed as women taking part most years, and nobody accuses them of cheating)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I looked up the event, and it seems to take place next August(!)

OP - you have 10 months to train, I am sure that you be fighting fit by that stage 🙂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Women's Mini Marathon is both a proper race with timing and rules that must be followed at the front, and a giggle with blokes in drag further back that nobody really cares about. There are discussions around if men dressed in drag at that event should be accepted or not, but nobody is intimidated about ebikes encroaching on the space of fully person powered cyclists in their own event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

While I agree with you in principle, in this particular event seems to make use of a cumulative leaderboard, which shows how many kms various teams or groups have competed over a 10 day period. So it would seem to go against the spirit of this (friendly) competitive element if one group was putting in the miles using regular bicycles, while another group was racking up miles on e-bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

You are giving of your time for a good cause - good on ya.

Imagine sourpusses think they can decide how you should make the effort.

I would imagine your efforts would be welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

As long as the charity is still raising money the organisers couldn't give 2 flying fs what type of bike you turn up on. I would say the op would be more inclinded to raise funds above the entry price than a typical cyclist who is doing it for fun.

I assume that the op is doing this on an electric assisted bike and not on a full electric bike so cycling will be required.

@Sussedit give it a go on the bike the most important think is riase money for the charity and enjoy your day, you may get a few jealous looks when you are getting up a hill easier that someone else but I can also guarantee you those people will be thinking I wish I had an ebike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Its a day out, you are giving your time to a good cause.

Use the electric bike and enjoy the day!! I have a friend who cycles a lot, they done a trip over in the UK and he said two of them had electric bikes as they wouldnt be sued to the distance etc. He didn't care at all because it was social event as well for a lot of them

• Advertisement

And do you think two people who admit to doing nothing more than short leisure spins will be looking to line out in the elite pen at the front of the race? Anyone in any fun race with an elite pen is going to a member of a club, and looking to accrue points. The rest of the people (including the op) will be kept at the back with all the others out for a bit of craic.

Having said that, if the event is over a period of time, accruing distance, then I agree it would be against the spirit of the thing to use an ebike

Advertisement