Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Key for Volvo V90 (191)

• 27-09-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi, I bought this car in the UK last year but came with only 1 key. Decided to invest in a spare as, to be honest. the missus misplaces the current key all the time and the two young kids are constantly using it as a toy when in reach.

I called Volvo today. The first guy said it would be around 350 he thinks so I thought that was fine. Another guy called me and said it would be €475. I dont know the prices of these things but it seemed a bit high. Might experiences with volvo follow-ups is they overcharge slightly more than a normal garage. I remember I got a 'free service' a few years on another volvo and still came out 200 down as of all these 'extras' I needed all of a sudden.

My question, is it worth going to a third party. I found one online called AutoKeys. Sent them a request but hard to get much reviews on them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I went through this with a 2018 V90.

Third-party suppliers cannot supply a V90 key.

I got a replacement in Spirit Volvo. Cost €352.

This includes the backup emergency that's in the fob.

You have to make an appointment, and you'll be out within the hour.

Get them to de-program the missing key while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tobehonestwithy

thank a mill. No missing key. Its just we could do with a apare. €352 is much more reasonable than what i was quoted for in Athlone. I'll call Spirit. Might be my best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

There is a missing key because your car came with more than 1 when it was new. It is likely in the UK but somewhere out there is another key that can start your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Volvo's can be programmed so missing keys can't open the car. Somewhere on the centre screen, in one of the many menu's you can probably check how many keys are authorised to that car, and if there's still 2, the missing one could be removed when the new key is paired.

OP - check with Koping on the Naas Road for a price. No longer Volvo sales agents (for a good few years at this stage) but they kept the Volvo parts and servicing. Very good to deal with, and usually decent for pricing too.

Advertisement