Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Documents to bring to job interview?

• 28-09-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭

This is odd lads. I've been offfered an interview for a retailer in a few days but the instructions for what to bring are a worry. Passport, PPS No and photocopys of both. I let my passport lapse late 2019 and didn't for obvious reasons didn't get around to renewing it. PPS no problem but photocopies of both? This a well known retail establishment with shops all over Ireland and the UK so not some dodgy back alley place. Does it matter that my passport is expired and why do they want copies with me? Anybody seen this before?

Comments

Yeah that's totally normal. Photocopies are so that they can keep a copy on file without having to run off with your originals, and the originals are so that they can confirm the photocopies are of a real document. Very normal to want evidence to confirm your citizenship/right to work and PPS for Revenue.

Best thing to do is contact them in advance about the passport. There might be other forms of ID they can accept, or they may be willing to accept an outdated copy given the current delays at the passport office.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Shouldn't matter if its recently expired and the copies are for them to keep but I'd only be letting them have the copies upon job offer.

Local library should be able to make copies for little or no fee but you may need to ring them to see if open and/or make an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Cheers Fluff and true my main concern was that they wouldn't accept an expired one.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

No harm ring then regarding the expired passport because some people can be anal about little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Offer to bring a drivers license in lieu of a passport if that is an option for you.

• Advertisement

I thnk ye're right a call is the way to go I just found it odd. Does make sense when I think about it. I just would've thought a PPS card and an Irish accent would be enough to prove I can leagally work here. All the contact details are UK No's and e mail addresses so maybe that has something to do with it they are based in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The way the labour market is now, an interview in a place like this is practically a job offer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

All employers within the EU/EEA/CH are required to satisfy themselves that you have a right to work in the EU/EEA/CH and be able to demonstrate that they performed the necessary checks should they be called upon to do so. So your passport is an important requirement, however since the purpose is to demonstrate that you have a right to work here without the need for a visa, the fact that it is out of date should not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When do they perform the necessary checks is the question.

Its an interview, not a job offer, I personally would not be giving them copies of documents before I even had a first interview.

No issue with that my main question is will the fact it's expired be an issue? I know no one here can answer that just asking if it's ever been an issue for anyone here. No answer from the ph no they gave me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes and some people are not even allowed to apply for jobs within the EU/EEA/CH. I'm not sure but I don't think it is illegal to interview such a person, but you might have some explaining to do if it became know to the authorities that you were interviewing such people.

Advertisement