Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What If...? - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Darcy doing her best Lea Thompson impression.

Interesting ending. Could be the first one to get a follow up episode especially since The Watcher seemed thrown.

Apart from the final few moments that was terrible

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That was rough. It was more like fanfic than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I enjoyed the Thor, very light hearted. Felt like we saw an episode from a Thor sitcom in another universe.

I love skipping the opening credits and trying to guess who came back to do voice work. Was shocked to see that that was actually Nathalie Portman as Jane, I was convinced it wasn't her. I'd love to know what really went on between her and Marvel, it seemed like Jane was never going to return for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That Thor episode was by far the weakest. It was fine, but felt quite pointless and a bit OTT with almost every space faring character getting cameos. Thor was an only child so now Nebula is a party girl? Meh. I found the Captain Marvel - Thor interactions fun, a lot of wink wink nudge nudge in it :)

That ending though. I'm looking forward to the follow up to that. I really like how they are slowly building in these little nuggets that can be returned to in the context of the whole multiverse - in particular Strange and now Ultron.

I think it was Thor The Dark World and everything that went on with it. It was supposed to be Patty Jenkins directing, but when she exited, pretty much everything went to sh*t. Nobody was really happy with the movie (even Anthony Hopkins gives a pretty phoned-in performance with the exception of Frigga's funeral scene). But overall it soured Natalie Portman's relationship with Marvel and I think she felt she wasn't getting what she wanted out of the films (being the character Thor saves rather than having an interesting character herself).

Now when it comes to Thor 4: More Thor, she has a much better story and character to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I was nearly sure that the voice actors for Amidala or Mace Windu (Portman and Jackson's characters in the Star Wars movies who had separate voice actors in the Clone Wars cartoon) would have to stand in for What If. Fun fact though Drax was played by prominent voice actor Fred Tatasciore who among loads of other roles is known to current Trekkies as Lieutenant Shax on Star Trek Lower Decks.

So basically, Shax is Drax and Drax is Shax 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I haven't figured out any pattern for when people do their own characters. I assumed those who still have an active role in the MCU would do the voicework (but doesn't seem to be the case for some of the GotG) and those who just enjoy playing the character like Haley Atwell.

It's down to just who's available/affordable/interested basically. Like Tom Holland would have been busy with No Way Home and Uncharted, RDJ and Paltrow were probably uninterested. This was recorded long before the Black Widow release debacle so that has nothing to do with Scar Jo's no show. It's not a deal breaker anyway, I mean Clone Wars worked just fine without the vast majority of it's movie stars.

There's probably some truth to this bit I think Dave Bautista came out recently and said that he wasn't asked. Some people have speculated because he was the most vocal when Gunn was fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7: That was hilarious! 😁 All the character reminders and nods.

all until the end! Yikes! Ultron with the full Infinity Gauntlet!! Now that has gotta be reappearing at some point in the future!!

Ms

I enjoyed that. It was a fun episode and in my opinion not the weakest episode. There was a worse episode number 3 or 4 can't remember now but one of them was just crap really.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Regarding that last moment

That was Vision in a Ultron suit. I wonder if it's the Vision from the Zombies episode since Thanos was a zombie

<spoiler>It's Ultron in a Vision suit though. The Vision body was created as a vessal for Ultron. It looks like in that universe he achieved that. The backstory to that would be cool to see. Some of the stones are obvious how he came by them as they were on Earth (Space, Mind, Time) but the others were off-world. The Soul stone in particular... he'd have to have stolen that one from someone else who retrieved it.</spoiler>

ok... how do you spoiler things on the boards "upgrade"? Spoilers are in the thread title though TBH.

Highlight the text you want to spoiler, click on the icon on the left of the text box (the Paragraph icon thing that's from Microsoft Word, don't know what it's called, the backwards P thingy), click the inverted commas icon, then the option for spoiler formatting should show up.

Because that's apparantly easier than the way it used to be where you just clicked the Spoiler button.

• Advertisement

Now THAT was good. That was very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was a brilliant episode this week!

After the series lowlight last week, this was by far best to so far imo

Very high concept.

I hope this series isn't used to undo anything in the MCU that's gone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

8: Oh that was good. Really bringing alot of the stories together... but I guess with just one episode left.. it sure would need to! 🙂

Hilarious moment when

Thanos pops in and is instantly taken care of .. can't help but think Vision could've probably done that too

So then..

Big bust up with The Watcher, (Evil?/Grey area?) Dr Strange, Zola and Black Widow vs Ultron. I'm guessing there's gotta be more characters turning up too.

Moment of the episode I have to give to

Hawkeye going out in a scene that was so much like Vormir but with that added epic heroic still moment of him descending in the light with the archer pose.

Ms

I actually thought this episode was quiet slow to get going and a bit boring for a while but when it did yes what an episode.

Hawkeye seemed to lack the will to live whereas Black Widow was still on for it. Imagine being that close to the answer and giving up. I would say after Ultron found out about the watcher and where he was that the watcher must have regretted not helping Hawkeye in that moment. It could have been the defining moment maybe them few seconds or minutes would have been enough for there plan to work instead of Ultron being too far away when they done it.

Also it's strange that Ultron destroyed all the other worlds he came across but yet he did not totally obliterate Earth. Maybe because he came from that Earth I don't know just strange.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That was a fairly epic episode. Possibly the best episode out of all the MCU Phase 4 shows. In isolation it was visually stunning and had great moments. In the context of the MCU, this HAS to have an impact later on. They could probably deal with it within What If and not spill in to the MCU prime universe but that'd be a waste IMO.

The stuff with the Watcher was great... the way he was caught off guard, the peek into his realm, the fight with Ultron and ultimately going back to Strange. It really tied the whole series together. Ultron too was great, such great potential for him to a massive villain in the MCU. He'll probably be defeated in the series finale but I'd love to see him brought in to the wider Multiverse carnage of the MCU as a Thanos level threat alongside Kang.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't see it having much or potentially even any overlap to the wider MCU. Like Loki and minimally Wandavison, it is just giving the audiences background to the multi-verse that people who don't watch the shows won't have but won't leave them totally confused.

Agree on the epicness of the episode.

I can see Spiderman NWH and Dr. Strange MoM, setting up the movie audiences with the "anything is possible in the multiverse" mentality that would allow these seemingly random versions of characters appear without causing much... distress? to the audience. I agree, these are background stories but my feeling is that they'll one day be background stories to events taking place in the movies. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. They've set up some great universes. Imagine Marvel Zombies on the big screen :D

I wish they didn't need to feel to tie it all together. I love the MCU and the interconnectedness but I was really enjoying this as a series of one offs that weren't connected.

I also really wish they could have got Spader to reprise his role. I've been fine with all the replacements so far but Spader has such a distinctive voice, I would have loved to hear chew this script to pieces.

• Advertisement

I agree about Spader, but if I remember right he was initially against taking on the Ultron role at all because he didn't want to just do a voice, he seemed to very much want his whole performance, and be able to be on-set with the other actors (which he was assured he would). So the idea that he didn't want to return to do the voice here makes sense.

Advertisement