Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile phone mast

• 27-09-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of allowing a mast to be erected on land?

Seems like the mobile companies outsource the site acquisition to a third party who then either rent it to the mobile company or build the mast and rent space on it.

Has anyone dealt with companies like this recently?

What sort of money are we talking.....what are pros and cons?

Obviously our family have been approached regarding such a mast.

Very early stage so haven't got much info from the company yet

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

It's lucrative for you for what's involved. Also it depends on the status of the mast, as in is it servicing a town or just plugging a black spot on the map. Most high status masts are already in place by now but even so you could still be looking at 10k-15k/year

I ended up with a mast on my place only because the original place they wanted to put it was objected to by the locals. I met the farmer in question one day at the mart, he went on to tell me about the campaign that went on against the mast and him, it was a bit of a horror story and a bit of an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

That's interesting. I was wondering do People still have objections to them or was that an early day thing when people had concerns about the dangers of EMR.

That is pretty lucrative tho. Was your location more remote or did your neighbors just not care?

Can people still object to the planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I used to work for a company that build the masts and do the acquisitions. I think its fairly straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 29,058 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

People object about them and then give out about no phone coverage. We have rebounders here for years. There's a bit of messing going on this year with the new companies who deal with the payments. You're not dealing with eir etc anymore. Staff continually changing too that you're dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭alps

Do swallows live or hunt in the vicinity of the mast? We put in a router system between the house and yard for calving and office use. Since then the swallows have stopped nesting in the yard. They are still active in the fields, but don't know where they nest now.

• Advertisement

So it is a lease contract that is renewed every few years?

What would happen down the road if you wanted the mast removed for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ABOUT 10000/year plus something for extra aerials. 20yr lease and increases with the Consumer Prices Index /cost of living index, can't remember which.

I'd say once you sign up you're locked into it, It'll be sold as part of the farm here, sure it's another income stream

Payment every 6 months here. We have 3 of them. Being updated this year, all of them. My dad gets all the money from them. Ours are rebounders not masts so not as much money as stated above but a nice sum all the same. Contract is 8 years on the most recent here

It is in the middle of a forestry so no neighbors to object. Only hassle I had was with the dept of Ag who recouped forestry payments for the mast and service road they built, yes the land the road used!!

It's a lease contract; originally it was supposed to be for 15 years but they upped the offer by a few quid to get right of renewal on the lease so basically it's there for ever. Payments stay the same (index linked) paid twice per year.

Family reckon I could have gotten more, idk so much they had a set figure and didn't budge plus they always had the option of selecting another site belonging to Coillte. In the end they 100% did what they said they would when it went ahead. The only downside I see is maybe if they ever went to do wind-turbines in the area I'd probably miss out now, but as far as I can tell there won't be.

In fairness it's money for jam, I hope you do well out of it too, but be prepared for hostility if theirs neighbors about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

No problems here with it.in fact most neighbours would be looking for better coverage now.like most say wouldn't make you rich but there's no work in it either.most new sites wouldn't be high value I'd say now adays as they only filling out black spots now

• Advertisement

Jezus I would put it in the yard if I thought it would keep the swallows away!!!

Thanks for all the information guys, it's very helpful.

In fairness we are the closest to the mast. So it will be a balance of asethetics and money!!!

I don't think it's worth making enemies for though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭emaherx

Like a WiFi bridge? Highly doubt it put the swallows off, we've 5Ghz bridges here with 2.4Ghz Access Points. Plus other IOT mesh networks working at 868MHz-2.4Ghz and the swallows nest under them above them or just manage to sh1t on them for sport.

idk, I used to have a similar issue with the swallows nesting, and come to think of it they have gone now too since I put up a wifi bridge to the sheds. The other reason could be the wholesale netting of swallows that has been going on in north Africa with the advent of cheap netting from China.

Probably a stupid question but why do they net swallows??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

It’s not a stupid question. It questioning a stupid act! They eat them apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

For food I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Only heard the cuckoo call once this year, probably more meat on them.

That's what I was hoping wouldn't be the answer!!!!

Thankfully alot seem to be getting through , based on the amount of them round out place

Think we been taken for a ride based on the offer made to us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Are you sure it's a Mobile phone provider, as most of the mobile masts are in place with a few years. It could be one of them Internet providers like BBnet. They're as tight as ducks arses

One company offered me a one off 30000 for thirty year lease..... what world were they in

We had a crowd at the same last year. We arranged to meet them at our site. No sign of them. They rang saying they went to a townland of the same name in a different county. You'd think if they were serious they'd at least know what county you're in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That's interesting... i changed from cable broadband to wireless a few years ago... i used to allow put as many nests on one gable of the house as they wished and usually 10 /12... This year one nest... could it be the signal i wonder...

Itold them that it wasn't enough and I would only do an annual payment, never heard from them since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I cannot figure what you are saying... was the objection agains the mast or was it personal begrugary agains the person...

The reason i ask is a relative of mine is thinking of planting native Irish trees in a couple of acres of land and he has 5 objections from neighbord. Two of the people objecting have trees very close to their houses and objecting to something be 150 meters from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭enricoh

Some fella in a bit of a hole with his finances would take the hand off them though!

We had a crowd out that wanted to put a mast up around 20 years ago. There was a fair bit of hassle with objectors back then so the oul lad didn't want the stress. Our neighbour was approched and put one in, got a great access road put in too.

Regret it now, it'd be a handy few quid for the folks retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,862 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

5G needs lots more masts, they cover less area so more are needed

• Advertisement

It was more a fear of the signals from the mast at the time. There used to be stories of how there was radiation from the mast etc I didn't experience it first hand but I remember lads scare mongering saying that if yo lived near them they could rot your brain. some people took it serious enough and still do.

Advertisement