Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clip on mudguards

• 17-03-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to get a set of clip on mudguards that I can attach if going on a group cycle (whenever that'll be) or out on my own on a wet day.

I'd like something easy, quick to attach & detach & to keep splashes away, more concerned about the rear one out of courtesy to the person behind me.

Thanks,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

I have SKS raceblade pro mudguards.

Easy to clip on/off and does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

juicer wrote: »
    I have SKS raceblade pro mudguards.

Easy to clip on/off and does the job.

+1. They have decent coverage and easy enough to put on and take off quickly. I have the older non Pro models which still come with the extra coverage flap, albeit a bit shorter. Fairly durable too, someone in my house jammed them into a box and bent them but they bent back no problem. Only downside is no coverage behind the seat post but it seems if you want clip on guards that also aren't fiddly it's probably the best option.

I had Crudguard V2 a few years ago and they were very fiddly and too narrow. A branch got kicked up by my front wheel and it got lodged between the wheel and guard and it broke. Seems to be a weight weeny race day sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Race blades are good. Good combo of sturdyness and convenience but they don't quite give the coverage required in a group.

An extender like this tho does the job nicely:

https://www.feathertail.cc/

I use one on raceblde pro XL but I think a regular raceblde would have been better.

Is it disk or rim brakes? Rim braked bikes have more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I've just taken a set of SKS Raceblade Pro XL off my winter bike to use it with knobblies in the summer; simplest and easiest 'guards to put on and off. Highly recommended - cost just over €30 last autumn from Bike Discount and they have dropped in price since

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sks-germany-raceblade-pro-xl-mudguard-set-530781

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

'Winter is coming.' Ordered these just now.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

+1 for the raceblade. Super simple pop on and off. Absolute god send on evenings like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not the latest ones/ pro's, but my front race blade snapped 3/4's of the way down in the wind over the top of Glenmacnass a few years back - whatever way the strong wind caught it. The back still going strong - I put it on the gravel bike if it's particularly wet (have a winter bike with full mudguards now)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

To follow up on this, I have SKS Speedrocker on my ebike, they're also clip on but are actually full coverage and much better. Only downside is they're aimed at gravel bikes but modern road bikes have more clearance these days so worth looking into. Similar mount to the Raceblade but with a piece in front of the fork and an extra strap on the seat tube for full rear coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The Raceblade Long probably gives the best protection to you, your bike and those behind and can be unclipped relatively easily. The major problem with them is the design of the clips that open unexpectedly after a few months of use on typical Irish rural roads. Most of us in the club have now resorted to fixing them to the brackets with short cable ties rather than end up carrying them home following clip failure. SKS have replaced mine FOC on a few ocassions but there is no sign of them improving the crappy clip design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

cannot seem to get online payment sorted to buy these.

anyone else have difficulty with this website before?

EDIT: for some reason payment worked this morning...

• Advertisement
Advertisement