Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How quickly can I learn to ride a scooter or small motorbike

• 25-09-2021 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

This was something I was thinking for a while now but never got around to it.

I'm thinking I should start now but it depends how quickly I can get going. The reason I'm thinking now is because I need to move out where I am after Christmas and there seems to be very little options in town. So I'm thinking of going out of town. But I need transport as well. I normally cycle everywhere but cycling might be too far. I can drive but I don't have a car and I think the cost of a car might cripple me and rent at the same time. So I'm thinking of a scooter, but not sure.

How do I get started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just buy one, won’t take long at all, couple of spins, having said that, I had one years ago when we couldn’t afford two cars and the weather from October to April was no craic, always seemed to start p1ssing down just as I was about to go to or leave work, got fed up with that & got a second car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭gipi

Don't forget that you need to take a theory test,apply for learner permit and take IBT (compulsory training) before you can get on the road - as well as bike,gear and insurance of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I got used to the weather while cycling. Just not sure what to do regarding accommodation. So thinking it might be best if I look out of town and public transport is usually crap out of towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the insurance like for the OP? For a scooter or small bike I mean. Im in a similar situation and want to get my learners permit and get started. I have a full drivers license for a car but don't drive at the minute.

Just booked the theory test. Can't be that much different to a car. Might as well get going with this. Just hoping it's not as expensive as a car.

• Advertisement

Just done a bit of a Google search and there's a 6 months wait after having the learners permit before I can take a test. So that answers my question.

But, it was something I wanted, so I'll work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Or.. just drive on a learner permit, and never do a driving test.

Bike gear can be got in Aldi/Lidl.

The theory test isn't that hard.

If you have a full B licence, you should have M as well, which allows you to drive a 50cc moped.

its been awhile since I had a small 125cc scooter but from what I remember insurance on my provisional was around €350 with Carol Nash.

OP you might have a Category AM on your car license if so you can get a 50cc bike without having to do a motorbike theory test and IBT.

If you don't have the category AM on your current license or whant a bike with more power then unfortunately you are going to have to do both a new theory test and IBT training.

As far as I am aware the only place that does IBT on scooters is the Airport Driving School in Dublin.

https://airportdrivingschool.com/

I have a full license B license but don't have M on my license.

Does that mean I have to start all over again with theory test and all that?

I'll get a learner's permit and get a few lessons. I don't want a huge bike, just something small that will be quicker than a push bike and can take me out of town. If this is what I have to do to have a roof over my head.

Not sure if I could get insurance on a learner's permit though because of all the IBT training and all that. Would an insurance company even look at me if I don't have all that done?

• Advertisement

Just done a quick search and according to this I can add AM to my license. Is this actually true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

All depends on whether or not you had it on your learners permit when you say your B test... And also how long ago you got your full B licence.

Best to consult with the RSA via email.

I have my full license for over 13 years. And just looking at my old license, I didn't have any M codes. So really not sure. But came across another website saying that I can drive a 50cc moped on a category B license. It's something I need to check out with the RSA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It depends on when you got your licence.

If your first motorcycle learner permit for Category A was issued prior to 15 November 1999

(or prior to 18 December 1999 if you held a Category A1 full driving licence for a period of at

least two years in the previous 10 years or were at least age 25 on the date the Category A

permit commenced), and has not lapsed for a period of 5 or more years since, you are exempt

from IBT. If you did not hold the permit for Category A before that date, you are not exempt

from IBT in order to undergo a Category A test now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭mada999

i'm not an expert, but in my opinion it takes 56 days, 23 hours, 2 minutes and 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You're right you're no expert at all it takes 56 days, 23 hours, 2 minutes and 3 seconds. You were way off the mark.

I'm not sure what website mentioned that I could drive a moped on a B license, but came across two of them that mentioned it.

But ndls website says if I had my license before October 2006, I could have a moped added to my license. I passed my driving test three months after this.

depending on the distance from town, you could also consider a decent electric bike?

no insurance or tests or licence required. Like if it’s 10km from your workplace it would work out cheaper in the long run than a moped.

Absolutely, this is something I'm also considering. It's depends where I end up finding accommodation.

Looking on daft, it scares me. Alot of places are 20-30km out of town. Would I be nuts to use a moped or scooter for distances like this? Just trying to keep my options open at the minute but really not sure if I can afford a car either.

Depends on the roads you’ll be on, but in general scooters are for shorter journeys- you’ll feel the lumps and bumps on the road more on a scooter so a motorbike is more appropriate as they would have better suspension etc

fast moving traffic on a busy road won’t be a pleasant experience on a moped either - just something to keep in mind.

you could also look into a car share? I’m sure others might be in a similar situation

• Advertisement

I guess I'll get a feel for things with bike training.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You will learn to how to get your bike or scooter to drive in no time, learning to use one safely takes years, the level of feel needed between clutch brakes throttle grip and anticipation of other traffic can only be picked up from experience.

Best of luck, take your time,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is public transport an option - eBike to the nearest station (obviously buy an extremely good lock). Or folding eBike and take it on the train.

Mbike or big scooter definitely a better option than a car for commuting IMO - the idea of driving 30km into town every day sounds like misery, but I really hate driving/sitting in traffic.

Public transport may be an option. It depends on where I end up getting a place. But public transport out of town is usually rubbish. And I want another option than a push bike but I don't want a car either. A car is ideal but don't think I can afford the cost of a car at the moment.

Or should I consider getting a small car. I get 2000 per month in wages. 800-1000 of that could go on rent out of town. That leaves me with 1000-1200 after rent. The cost of electricity and gas will be going up. Refuse, internet, TV licence has to be paid as well.

I spend 70 euro a week on food. So that's 280 a month. I'll round that up to 300.

So after bills and food is paid, I could be left with 300 per month. 300 for the cost of a car and running it. Insurance, tax, petrol. Can it be done?

I dont drive but have been considering going the small motorbike option myself for small trips. I need to travel between my house and my dads house twice a week, a distance of about 15 kilometres. I'll be very interested to know how you get on.

In terms of running a car, over the years Ive worked along side many people who ran cars on low pay and honestly wonder how they do it. Your sums might cover the cost of running it, but leaves no room for savings, so what do you do when the fan belt breaks, or the exhaust pipe falls off. I'm not being negative, just something else to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

A small bike is a great idea for anyone who enjoys hospital food. It’s not a matter of if, but when you get to eat it, if you come out lucky.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I have 5 friends who got small motorbikes. I have no friends who got small motorbikes and didn’t end up with a significant injury from using the bike.

I have many more friends/relatives who have driven large bikes. I have no friends/relatives who have driven large bikes who aren’t either killed or moderately injured from using bike.

The statistical risk of injury is significant from two wheels motorised. Fine if one doesn’t mind the odd few weeks laid up over it, but it is reality. Ask any risk assessor.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

What about the thousands upon thousands of people who use small bikes and don't end up in hospital?

Your 5 friends don't really cut it against all those.

Advertisement