Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

weetiepie wrote: »
    Hi there, I just found the book on an irish website books4u this morning and ordered it for €11!! !! I was so excited to come across it, thought i would let you know

You are a star!
    Just ordered it there now myself!!

Really appreciate that, thanks so much!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

DvB wrote: »
    You are a star!
    Just ordered it there now myself!!

Really appreciate that, thanks so much!

I'm so delighted! You are v welcome, it's so exciting getting a book you've been after for awhile:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

New Home wrote: »

I was speaking to the guy who owns the shop this morning and he was trying to order more from gill. He had some in stock already. if you wanted you could try ringing him and suss out if he can order a copy for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

Honestly, I bought that book as a joke for my OH as I am a city boy and she is from an agri background. She laughed and I am the one reading it from cover to cover. It is a beautiful book and really gets you in the spirit.

I bought 'Girls Play Too: Inspiring Stories of Irish Sportswomen' for the youngest in my house, though the oldest may have a look too. I am the sole boy in a house of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

New Home wrote: »

How many did you buy DvB??? :D

Hopefully they can get more in as seems a very popular book.

TRS30 wrote: »
    How many did you buy DvB??? :D

Hopefully they can get more in as seems a very popular book.

Just the 1, and shipment was confirmed yesterday afternoon too. Looking forward to its arrival now. Reckon I may have gotten the last one, or close enough to it, so was very fortunate.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Book arrived today, delighted with it. The Mrs found it hilarious that id bought a 'cook book' though.

Looking forward to reading through it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I really enjoyed The Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak and We Met in December by Emma Curtis last year. I always start reading Christmassy books mid November to get the festive feels going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    Saw this yesterday at a local bookshop:

"Letters from Father Christmas are a collection of letters written and illustrated by J. R. R. Tolkien between 1920 and 1942 for his children, from Father Christmas. They were released posthumously."

9780007280490.jpg

I did save the Tolkien for this year's run-up to Christmas.
    Did read a few letters this week-end, and wow, so heartwarming and full of immagination. His drawings are beautiful.

Love it !

I have just bought: Village Christmas by Laurie Lee and will make a start of it soon, seems promising.

image.jpg

The Nightmare Before Christmas is Getting Sally-Focused Sequel
    According to io9, Disney Publishing will release a new book centered exclusively on Jack's love Sally following the events of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Shea Ernshaw (The Wicked Deep, Winterwood) will write the YA novel, which is currently untitled.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/nightmare-before-christmas-sally-gets-to-shine-in-a-new-1846279355

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    I really enjoyed The Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak and We Met in December by Emma Curtis last year. I always start reading Christmassy books mid November to get the festive feels going!

I have just added these to my diary to get out from my local library in November/December (hopefully the library will be open by then). I love to read a Christmas book while getting the house ready for the festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

shoes43 wrote: »
    I have just added these to my diary to get out from my local library in November/December (hopefully the library will be open by then). I love to read a Christmas book while getting the house ready for the festive season.

You reminded me to add the Christmas books I’d recommend from the ones I just read. So I still the Seven days of us and We met in December are brilliant and to add to them I really enjoyed The 12 dates of Christmas and even though nothing really happens in them, the Winter Street trilogy by Elin Hilderbrand made me want to visit Nantucket at Christmas! All of these books are light, fluffy and easy reads. Just what I want over the festive period.

Coming Soon ! The Christmas Pig by JK Rowling
    Out in mid October
    https://www.thebookseller.com/news/rowling-returns-new-childrens-novel-christmas-pig-1252686

9781444964912.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Given some of her comments lately... I take it J.K Rowling IS the Christmas Pig :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

Or at least being painted as one

New book coming soon
    "a feel-good Christmas title from Kitty Wilson, author of The Cornish Village School series.
    Every Day in December will publish in e-book and audio this August, followed by the paperback in time for December."

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/one-more-chapter-scoops-feel-good-christmas-title-wilson-1267486

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It sounds like a cheesy hallmark plot, but feck it- nothing wrong with a bit of escapism at Christmas, especially after the last year or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

No idea if this is any good but its free..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just finished "Christmas at the Beach Hut" by Veronica Henry. I asked our local librarian for a recommendation & she said "oh this is nice but you probably don't want a Christmas story just yet"...I said "oh no, that's fine" 😀 Anyway, it's a nice story, a gentle read as the fella would say 😊

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks for all of the recommendations here, I have added a few to a reading list for closer to Christmas! Another one that was suggested while searching on BorrowBox was A Boy Called Christmas 🎅 by Matt Haig. Has anyone read it? I've added it to my list anyway, will report back here after I have read it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A boy called Christmas has been made into a tv movie set to air this Christmas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh really! I better read the book quickly so 😍

Its part of a trilogy. Got it for the kids a couple of years ago and they ripped through the three of them in no time.

On that note, another good set of books for kids is the Christmasaurus series by Tom Fletcher ( he who is currently isolating from Strictly with covid!) Theres two out at the moment with the third to be released in October, my two loved them both & I have the third ordered for when its released.

Ah it looks epic @Loughc !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Not really books, some audio book stuff, an alternative to the more traditional Christmas stories.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009XD7M2Y?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=nav_signin&

• Advertisement

2 copies of the ICA Book of Christmas available here: https://www.wob.com/en-ie/books/irish-countrywomen-s-associati/irish-countrywomen-s-association-book-of-christmas/9780717168187

Use PEOPLE20 at checkout and get 20% off.

Post edited by New Home on

Advertisement