Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vigil (BBC)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm not sorry I watched it, but overall it was disappointing. The first 2 episodes looked so promising - the concept is intriguing and I was looking forward to watching the great cast. But I was bored during last couple of episodes. Seems like a huge waste of great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I enjoyed it but certainly the first couple of episodes were super and the rest were lesser.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

It was like reading a lot of Stephen King's books - great idea, great setup - just cant get the ending right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Died on its arse in the last EP, no spoilers but had high hopes for this but was disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

For me, the last 30 min could/should have been replaced with somee factual info about the real world trident submarines. Or the show should have an add-on episode that deals with this.

Given that the whole thing seems to have been conceived to draw attention to the state of these submarines; because the plot itself kinda got thrown away once dowrad was captured (or arguably before then). If it was just a who-dunnit in a sub, there was no need for the political and romantic nonsense ending; we could happily have ended with Amy climbing the ladder.

By the end were left with no idea if any of what was shown of how these Doc's exist and operate is remotely realistic, and lots of pictures online already showing that they're not even physically similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'd stuck with the entire series (foolishly), not much alternatives at that hour on a Sunday evening, thought they couldn't possibly end it as badly as they started it , I was proven wrong.

Backstory wasn't that complicated.

Suranne Jones character is claustrophobic for obvious reasons. Trapped under water her worst fear. Writers focus on this and put her in this scenario at least once an episode.

As for the rest, she's wrestling with her sexuality, as people do.

If its a simple "man goes on submarine and kicks butt and then gets the woman" type drama maybe look up a Stephen Segal movie or something?

Overall thought it was decent and certainly superior to any of the simplistic formulaic nonsense served up by RTE recently.

• Advertisement

Most people know if a program is going to be sh*te from the first 10 minutes of episode 1, not 5 or 6 hours in. Its funny that you watched 6 hours of it before you decided it was rubbish. Obviously something kept you involved in it. Life is too short to watch 6 hours of bad TV.

Life's equally to short for you to be waiting for posters to explain themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

oh I understood the backstory. As you say it wasn’t complicated

i meant “lost me” as in, I just had no interest in the backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would have worked better as a 2 hour movie. Lot of premises like that being stretched out cos everything has to be a miniseries now on TV. Some stuff works better when you can watch it in one night, doesnt overstay its welcome by throwing in more and more red herrings and side plots.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fully agree, the second half was actually so quiet that I was waiting for one more twist or turn to liven it up, instead of the 'happy ever after' scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Same. I genuinely expected that Suranne’s story was going to be messed up memories because of her earlier trauma - or that there’d be a previously unrevealed Russian connection with one of the main characters. But instead, it just petered out.

For me, there was far too much focus on the relationship and the kid. I had no interest in the story about the kid, and the volume of relationship flashbacks just became boring. So for the last half hour of the finale to focus on that just meant that the series faded into boring by the end. Preposterous plot lines, I can handle. But boredom isn’t good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was an OK series, no Red October - too much lesbian sub plot crap going on as is the want of many shows

If they'd just stuck to the thriller aspect in a shortened series would have been much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Was watching Silent Witness last night, which BTW is total crap. Do BBC have to bring these these Lesbian sub plots into all drama's now?

Maybe probably best not to watch it, then, if it’s “total crap”? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out. Just sayin’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know this was only produced by Jed Mercurios team etc...but I think he might have an issue with not knowing how to blooming end anything...that last episode was poor, felt rushed and bizarrely neat.

The last episode of line of duty was also a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It started well so much promised but ended crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Pretty decent drama, with good acting. The land investigation in parallel with the submarine one helped in developing the sense of puzzle, and very good directing made it very watchable. A few elements in it a bit too convenient, and a few doubts on official procedures etc, but this didn't take away from an enjoyable enough distraction.

Dougray Scott and Romola Garai join for series 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

Watch it in 2024.

Starting on Friday night on VM1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Based on S1, will be giving S2 a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 trailer

Starts December 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

Starts on Sunday December 10th.

Continues on Monday and Tuesday.

And then the following Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You get the impression it could be great and then you think she might be wanted home to decide on wallpaper for the living room.

Advertisement