Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easiest to unclip clipless pedals?

Options
  • 27-09-2021 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on which clipless pedals work best in a situation where you have to unclip quickly and unexpectedly?

I've been using Shimano SPD-SLs for years and I still fall prey to the unexpected-stop-unable-to-clip-out-in-time-slow-motion-fall scenario. Ideally I'd like to eliminate this from happening after enough injuries/scuffed bike incidents. I also find it's a concern when climbing really steep sections and thus going really slowly where I'm worried that if I grind to a stop I won't be able to unclip in time.

I'm not racing or commuting. My use case is club rides, endurance rides, sportives and I'd like to improve the level of confidence in "unclipability". Road shoe/pedals would be best but happy to consider MTB options if those are better. Aesthetic considerations come a distant second to functionality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Speedplays are pretty easy to unclip from, but have you tried turning the tension on your existing pedals right down?

I know on look keos you can dial the tension down to the point you barely need to move your ankle to unclip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

SPDs with the silver cleats are probably the easiest, or Keo Easy pedals are very easy to unclip from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

SPD's probably the easiest (although check the tension when you get them, speaking as someone who had a comedy fall on new pedals a few weeks back!).

You're road shoes may have two bolts, but I prefer them in mtb shoes to be honest, as I find them harder to clip in that spd-sl when their not in a recessed sole! fwiw I've done over 100km on spd, including gravel (so a long day), and haven't had any issues. It really comes down to the stiffness of the sole in my experience. I've mtb winter boots, so rather than get a second pair, I just changed the winter road bike to spd. I get around 100km club spins no issues (and have an easier time at the coffee stop!).

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I do several hour spins on my spds with no issue. Ordered a new pair of Gaerne SPD shoes at the weekend for a but more comfort and stiffness.

I was thinking of changing the cleats to the multidirection unclicking instead of twisiting our your ankle.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Worth exploring cleat options too as there is ones like this which would help:

Buy Shimano SM-SH56 SPD Multi Release Cleats | Mantel Int

Advertisement