Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord allows no visitors

• 26-09-2021 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who has a large town house. He has it done up recently. There are 7-8 bedrooms in it. He rents it by single rooms. Now it done up well. A decent size kitchen with two hobs, two ovens, three fridge freezers and plenty of worktop space. There is a separate dining room with multiple tables, and there is two sittingrooms. He pays all the bills, electricity, heating, TV licience, bins etc. It could be described as a co living set up.

He has had issue's with tenant interaction in the past. He is putting a condition in the new leases that there can be no guest allowed into the house, and by that I mean no guests. I was surprised when I looked up Citizen advice they stated such a condition could be put in a lease. I would have taught it was contrary to a tenants right to enjoy the property they were renting which is technically there home.

Now I have two small properties rented and would never consider such a condition and would have taught it contrary to tenant's rights.

Slava Ukrainii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The place sounds like a kip and your mate is behaving like a slumlord. Not really surprising that the two go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This would be a licence agreement rather than a tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• You are entitled to have visitors to stay overnight or for short periods, unless specifically forbidden in your tenancy agreement. You must tell your landlord if you have an extra person moving in

I wouldn’t sign any tenancy agreement that prohibits visitors..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Interesting one. I lived in a large older house in the early 00's in the north inner city, maybe 7 or 8 bedrooms.

The problem was that with so many living there if they all had friends over or were regularly moving in/out the place was like Busaras. Security wise it was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This would be a tenancy agreement IMO as the landlord is not living in the property and there is other occupants. Your agreement is directly with the LL not with a tenant

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah, I thought he was living there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭HerrKapitan

He is right to do so. If people had one guest per week, there would be too many people in the house, more bills, more wear and tear. As well as parking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Absolutely.

One guest a week, is 52 a year. Squish them, squiggle them, make them disappear.

🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He can put it into the leases but I can't see it being of much use, it's unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yes it is enforceable - it’s a breach of contract and you can be evicted for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can't really see the RTB allowing an eviction for having another person in your home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Best of luck standing over that one on appeal. It is hard enough to evict someone that is an absolute gowler never mind just having a visitor

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭smokie72

I wouldn't be mad keen on visitors atm with covid about

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It sounds like nothing of the sort.

A slumlord would have turned the sitting rooms into bedrooms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

He pays all the bills, really? That's not wise, they could leave the heating, cooker on 24 /7.. that could wipe out the rent he's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ignore him, no board would enforce it and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just reading ivana bacik's tenants rights bill and it wants standard leases prepared by the minister, so future leases would probably not allow that anyway if her bill is passed.

It also wants to legally allow domestic pets so occasional visitors shouldn't be an issue as in the OP situation.

The whole country will be an RPZ, a three year rent freeze, and if landlords dont register or update tenancy details they could be fined or face 12 months.

And it looks like ending a tenancy in order to sell, or for family use, will be removed unless for a spouse/partner/child. Does that mean no rentals would be available for sale to FTB as the tenants would be in-situ?

Minister DOB says he wont oppose the bill.

Any landlords that were thinking of selling might bite the bullit now and issue notices sooner if they dont want to be tied to tenancies of indefinite duration.

Who is this going to help?😬

Not great news for some tenants if their landlord decides now is the time to sell up.

Edit: add link

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2021-09-22/8/

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think it's a perfectly rational policy to have in such a house with so many tenants. He probably won't enforce it unless some occupant really takes advantage, but I think it is there moreso for the tenants to enforce among themselves. Who would want to live in a place with random strangers coming and going? Even if you are anti-landlord in the extreme I can't see how this is a bad policy.

He sounds like a good landlord who cares about his house and his tenants going by the description, rather than renting out the whole place to one person to sublet in an uncontrolled environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I have to say that the bill seems to ignore the real root of the problem and will certainly lead to fewer rental properties on the market. Punishing landlords seems to be an excellent for earning short-term political points, but even to someone who doesn't understand the market like me, it seems clueless.

I agree with the information on previous tenancies, rent prices and evictions to be open to the public. And landlords may also be able to use that to their advantage hopefully against bad tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

Having rented with people who have kept rabbits, rats, a snake and dog that was out of control, Domestic pets should be the landlords decision. While most of them kept them in their rooms, the smell was another level (both the room and the tenant).

I think there was a post a while ago about publishing rent amounts that it could have GDPR questions because it was personal data of the landlord and tenant. Tenants are supposed to get that when they start a new tenancy. The RTB should include the last rent in a notice of registration to tenants then landlords couldnt charge more than the amount permitted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You could argue the same for sale of houses but we have the property price register

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

The problem with renting rooms and I've experienced this myself a few times is boyfriends/girlfriends moving in on the sly.

Starts off as staying Friday nights, then Saturday all off a sudden they are sitting on the couch when you get home from work every day and still there when you go to bed.

Far play to the LL IMO, protecting the other tenants

That was always a nightmare when I was renting back in the day. We used to ask prospective tenants of they had a partner when they were moving in and how many days a week they thought it was appropriate that they could stay over.

2 for the price of 1 tenants. PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sure when you've already put the housing system on life support with all the legislation, you might as well go in and kill it altogether with a final blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lots of problems with that. I am thinking about selling now as rules have got ridiculous. so I will have to evict my current tenants who i had planned on leaving there till they decide to move.

or alternatively I will have to up the rent to the maximum allowed, as if I do decide to sell it'll be to an investor and not to a young family or FTB and the yield will be based on the rental income as he cant evict the tenants. so the price will be set the rental income.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The difference here is 264 euros, if you were charging 1500 x 4% per year every year. I'd first of all call the RTB and check that with them.

To be honest I think 1500 is fair rent, just because prices have gone mad doesn't mean you have to join them.

If you feel it seems unfair then I'd look at renting each room for 800 euros.

After that I'd charge the max possible under law and if you like tenant you give them a letter saying the rent is x but you are discounting it to x-123. Register the higher rent with the RTB your banking records will show what you collected to revenue. I think the correct name for the letter is a "leeway"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I would almost write a guarantee to you that no tenant would be evicted and the eviction upheld by the RTB for such a condition, unless the tenant was completely taking the mick or throwing parties (ie acting unreasonably). The other tenants in the place would need to have strong personal accounts as evidence that the guest(s) of the tenant amounted to something unreasonable to their enjoyment of their property. The condition in the lease is one thing but the RTB interpretation of the complaint is entirely a different breed.

Advertisement