Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most cost effective way to go solar?

• 26-09-2021 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,162 ✭✭✭✭

I'm almost certain this has been asked several times, but I find it impossible to search on the new boards so I apologise.

We're looking into going solar and some of the prices for 'packages' from Irish companies seem a bit expensive (€5k+). From the browsing I've done on google it would appear the actual materials needed for a similar setup to those advertised at €5k would only run €2k maximum, so are you essentially paying €3k for installation and the simplicity of it?

Is it common for people here instead to go it alone, purchase the equipment and then pay an installer & electrician to set everything up? It just seems like it would work out much cheaper than buying a package from an Irish company, albeit requires a little more effort purchasing everything yourself.

Any advice is appreciated here of via PM (located in Sligo if that matters).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

There is literally a thread for this question on quotes. Bite the bullet and read it. This forum is very insightful but ya gotta put in the work and actually read it.

Then again likely some nice person will reply directly that's not me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,162 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This isn't about getting a quote. I'm not looking for one. I was asking if people in Ireland tend to go with a company who handle everything from start to finish or source the materials themselves and find an installer to handle the rest.

Perhaps there is an obvious reason people don't go the DIY route that I am unaware of being so green in this area, hence the thread. Thanks for your input though.

The answer is still in the quotes thread.

Cheers. I'll take a week or two off work to read the 3,800 posts since there is no way to search the thread. 👍️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Advertisement

Change to desktop mode. Search comes back.

Also do this... search for PhilG - read all his posts only. Its a gripping tail - worth the read. He basically asks all the questions and becomes an expert - sorry if i ruined the ending.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It all depends on how handy you are, and if you know an electrician to connect the inverter to your consumer unit.

Most people end up going with an installer, as they normally can get it done in a day or so, depending on how big the system is, experience, some fall back with issues, working with roofs to name a few.

Another bonus is the ability to qualify for grants.

Your not wrong in saying that some quotes are a bit mad though. There is reasonable quotes out there. Just need to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Prices are crazy but there's still value to be found.

I tried buying myself and going direct labour route but roofers didn't want to know and electricians wanted big bucks too. This was in Dublin last year.

Went with the "solar as a service" crowd in the end

Thanks for the information. I guess it can't hurt to take an evening or two to price all the equipment and then phone some installers first, then compare those prices to a company offering the full package. I suspect the former will be cheaper in most cases but it's finding a good installer who knows what they are at that will take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I am going self install. I ordered 14 panels from Yangtze solar and inverter and all brackets for usd$3000 approx incl shipping.

They havent arrived yet, hopefully in a bout 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

As a recent noob to the world of solar who's just booked an install, it is well worth going through the various threads on here, for your own benefit if nothing else.

It'll help you decide what exactly you want, what you can get from the grant, and help manage your expectations of what it can/can't do. It is a bit of a slog at times but there is plenty to consider. Been dipping in and out of it for a while now, and I'm still far from an expert on the subject, but have enough picked up (I hope) to get started. 😁

Installer route the more sensible unless you know competent electricans for a diy job and can buy the kit cheap enough to make it worthwhile to not get the grant.

Getting it didn't make financial sense for me without the grant. You can always look into upgrading after you have something installed.

Advertisement