Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 14; Russell T Davies Returns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

That is an interesting move! Presumably they see the show as needing another revival in a way after the Chibnall era which has been disappointing from a story perspective. I'm looking forward to it, the show was a light lighter in tone when he was in charge which I think suits Doctor Who.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just feels like the easy option, I really like Davies however it just feel like the BBC want safe hands to hold the show steady instead of bringing in a fresh new voice and taking a risk like they did when they hired Davies the first time.

It might be a fitting way to bookend this era of Who going with the show runner who brought it back after so many years before taking a break for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't say it's an easy option, but it's definitely ... well. Not a panic, not lazy; but perhaps a realisation by the BBC they let Dr. Who drift into minor irrelevance - but are unsure how to grab that back. And being a bit of an insular, incestuous organisation, they look to someone still at the top of his game, who worked with Dr. Who before.

So rather than take another wild swing (which Davies' appointment truly was back in the day), they're instead hoping the man can get lightning from a bottle twice over. It all depends on what the creative brief is: I'd be bold enough to say Davies will have a lot less wriggle room than he did around 2005; nobody could have expected that soggy old sci-fi show to become such a worldwide hit. Whereas now there's a solid brand, lots of merchandise and so on; the BBC might be breathing down his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The good news is here that he should be able to convince a proper actor to do the role, just like he did before.

He does have a major job on his hands however to turn this around, and remember we dont know what further damage Jodie and Chibnall will inflict before they leave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That reads a bit unfair. Smith, Capaldi and Whitaker are all "proper" actors, and the latter was given nothing to work with during her stint under Chibnall. Nobody could make a part sing that contained no discernible direction.

In fact, it's a shame Whitaker has decided to leave because I'd say Davies would give her something useful to get her teeth into.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's a real shame about Whitaker. So much potential we never got to see.

I do think Chibnall really made a balls of it to be honest. It hasnt gone well.

Davies is the BBC trying to about turn.

If I were a betting man I think there will be a fair bit of retcon incoming, particularly with the Doctor origin story.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I thought Smith was terrible myself, but again that may have come down to the scripts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mixed feelings - I'd have preferred some fresh blood in there rather than the easy route or, as they did, giving it to one of their mates. On one hand, I grew very tired of RTD's episodes and their OTT plots and, too often, childish antics (adipose, farting aliens, etc). On the other hand, I've recently loved "Years and Years" and "It's a Sin" - he can really excel at characters and dialogue.. it's just I don't think he captures Who as I want to see it. A lot will come down now to his casting of the Doctor (I was never a massive Tenant fan). It could work well and obviously it's better than Chibs.

That origin story was just like John Connor turning bad in Terminator - a horrific idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I kinda drifted away from the show before the full story played out, and when I read the origin story afterwards I was just baffled at how they thought it was a good idea.

May be an interesting development, especially given how rote the show had become: apparently full creative control has moved to a 3rd party; Russell T Davies' return to the show being contingent on said control given to "Bad Wolf Studios", which is (part) run by former Dr. Who producer Julie Gardner. And if reports are to be believed from The Times, the BBC may lose up to £40 million per 10 episodes because of this deal. Creative and production responsibility is now going to be on the shoulders of Bad Wolf, with the BBC retaining broadcasting, merchandising rights.

This below article does go into speculation territory, wondering if perhaps this is going to be part of another attempt at spin-offs, but it's an interesting development given how tightly internal the production has been throughout the new series' run. It could just be a classic case of a private company gouging a public institution as far as it can.

I think I'm correct in saying that Bad Wolf productions has also recently been bought by Sony.

I think Lenny Henry would be a good Doctor ??

And some weird crossover now between Eve Online and Doctor Who.

I had seen that. Weird is right; apparently the long time fans of the game are not impressed at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm torn on all of this.

RTD brought back the Doctor: wrote some of the best episodes of the new series to date personally: but also did some awful stuff in his time, and by the end, despite how some people remember it, the vast majority were dying for the Moffat takeover (although you have to point out RTD GAVE Moffat his role as a writer so even there he's an influence). The whole lonely god thing was truly dragged out a couple of years too long.

That being said RTD seems to have gotten even better when he's good in the meantime, so I'm not doom and gloom, but wait and see.

I'm also in the "Jodie didn't ever get a chance" camp, I'd have liked her to have time with a different showrunner, but alas it's not to be.

Oh I still remember writing a big angry rant here on this forum after End of Time (RTD and David Tenant's final episodes); Davies later work on Who really nosedived to the point of entering self-parody. As you say, people were champing at the bit for Moffat to take over by then 'cos the wheels had spun off the show IMO. Fundamentally, I just didn't always dig his deeply camp or cheesy approach when it was indulged to the max; the question then becomes what kind of tone will he return to the show with?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, I guess tone's the fundamental question: I wouldn't expect (or hope) him to come back and basically continue as if it's just business as usual. He's smart enough to know the landscape of TV has changed a lot since his last run.

And he has probably changed as grown as a show runner since then. Could hopefully bring the life back into the show.

• Advertisement

Usually, when old hands return to previous parishes, it's after a string of failures or bombs; but RTD has only gone on to further success and praise. Which is why my personal theory is that he might have been given carte blanche to take the show wherever he likes - including a "finish" or full blown reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ugh posted this in the wrong thread and I can't delete it:

Thoughts?

An interesting theory I saw on Twitter where I could see this working is if they brought back Tennent as the tenth Doctor to introduce the new Doctor in a multi-doctor story. Kind of like that story with David Morrissey but it's not a fake out.

Jesus I hope that's wrong cos I hate it. I gave the rehiring of RTD the benefit of the doubt it wasn't just a desperate grab for relevance again - but also getting Tenant back? Yikes, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Its nothing more than some nobody on FB wanting views, tabloids pick it up and we descend in to the nine circles of hell

Oh I don't believe it, or anything til the BBC reveal it (and they can rarely keep their mouth shut re. Doctor Who), but doesn't mean we can't add some 2 cents. It's a bizarre rumour really, less believable on the face of it than - say - "Idris Elba is the new Doctor".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ah he's probably too old now for the gig. Though you'd have to wonder if the most obvious Who casting is staring at us in the face. Chibnell's 2nd biggest switch to the mythology was the introduction of a (sorta) parallel, mystery Doctor we had never met before; seems like the obvious choice would be for RTD to take Jo Martin's version and run with it. I've no idea what broader fandom has made of Jo Martin & her Doc mind you: maybe RTD will Poochie her first chance he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would love it if it was true. Viewers would certainly flock back to watch. Tenant seems to be a busy man so the idea of three specials sounds like something he could commit to but I think its almost a certain he will be back for the 60th. So it's possible just is it accurate.

They should do something special anyways. Last episode lowest viewing figures since new who started, Jodie is leaving, her last episodes are shot and there's 22 months until 60th special airs (assuming November again like 50th)

Only problem is... if tennant did come back then another actor takes over... couldn't people just tune out once tenant leaves? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the new doctor getting the "rub" by tennant by sharing scenes.

• Advertisement

My 3 favourite Doctors are 1.Baker 2. Tennant 3.Capaldi

However Tennant coming back ? That would be the ultimate confirmation that the show is in the deepest trouble possible.

I would go for Lenny Henry or somebody similar, a safe pair of hands and an experienced actor.

Advertisement