Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4x4 jeep for farming and towing

Options
  • 24-09-2021 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi guys

What 4x4 jeep would be suitable for farming and towing cattle box.

My Nissan terrano has given up, had it for about 5yrs. But every year there was always something wrong with it and it cost me money to fix it Otherwise it was OK on the diesel.

I'm looking at a 03/04/05 Toyota land cruiser but was told that they are very heavy on the juice

I'm just looking for a jeep that's reasonable on the diesel

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hear people talk very favourably about the D-Max crew cabs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Short wheel base jeeps are becoming a rare commodity. As such they command a premium for anything half decent. The Terrano was a great jeep let down by corrosion issues.

A crew cab jeep might be easier to get hold of and fresher ones would be easier on fuel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What mileage are you doing a year and how much do you want to spend? Rusty chassis would be another thing to look out for on a 15-20 year old jeep. Getting about 26 mpg on a LC, but only did 5th miles last year. Don't know what I would get to replace it TBH when the time comes. Hi Lux might be an option.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Homer jay

I am looking for something similar myself and was looking at a 2015 dmax in the Uk, was wondering has anyone imported a crewcab from the uk since Brexit, what sort of extra costs are involved since brexit ? Do you have to play vat on this side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Just wondering if the recent increase in the price of diesel has have any effect on the price of second hand 4x4’s these days ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wouldn't think so, second hand jeeps seem to be getting dearer by the hour from what I see. A work colleague bought a 13 reg Dmax lately with what I'd consider high mileage (400,000km) for €18,000 including a trade in. Seems serious money for it imo but that's where things are at currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

What’s your budget?. I’d be looking at likes of fiat fullback next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

I’m thinking of selling my 4x4 (2008 land cruiser with just over 200k Kilometres)

so I’m just wondering what it would be worth

I’m thinking of making do with the tractor (40k box) and 12 x 6

only think is it will cost nearly €2000 to put a hitch ( main dealer retractable type) on the family car to pull the flat bed.

I'd be thinking €12-€15k depending on condition. That's small milage for a land cruiser and there's serious demand out there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’d been thinking of a shogun. Never had a jeep before. Bought a VW Crafter van last week and on the lookout for a cattle trailer I think it would do a fair bit of the pulling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

There must be an awful lot of them about atm. I don't see a wild pile of what I'd consider value for sale either though so it's a catch 22.

It a bit like buying cattle you have to sit on your hands for a while if you can. It can be hard to do. The hardest part is it may be for 12-24 months.

Back in I think it was early 2008 I was looking for a car. We had an 9 year old primera. The garages were looking for 14k for 3 year old primera and I was not gone on them. What I noticed was none of them were selling. This went on right through the summer. I remember in one garage saying it did not make sense as new ones were about 23/24k and they wanted over half the price for a three year old car. He was on to me that this was the market and I said that there was loads of stock in garages not moving.

In late August I bought a four year old Avensis for 11k and even at that I bought too early. If second hand stock starts to sit on forecourts the same thing will happen again.

20k for what is an 9 year old Dmax in a couple of month with very high milage dose not make sense. It a bit like some of the tractor and machinery prices. It's time to sit it out. But like I said it could be two years

Slava Ukrainii

I agree with what you're saying and I'm of the same mindset. I've a strong notion of upgrading the jeep but I've put it off for another while as I can't justify what it would cost atm. However if you were stuck for something atm it's a different story, sitting on you're hands is great if you have the option but this isn't always the case.

He paid €18k which included €5k of a trade in. I'd be of the opinion that they allowed him closer to €3k on his own jeep, they'd added it on to take it back off as is often the case. You'd probably have bought the same jeep in a straight deal for circa €15k but it's still a lot of money imo.

Sorry I didn't aught it was 18+ trade in. Agree if you need so something you are caught and have no choice. But some stuff is crazy at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Maybe you will be left sitting on your hands for good waiting for all these bargains .Big difference with 2008 when deflation set in .Very few new vehicles left sitting nowadays on forecourts and no glut of s/h hanging around but no panic either to be buying yokes with 400k mileage

It will be awhile before the bubble bursts imo. Brexit has reduced down the supply of second hand jeeps coming in from the UK. Between the Covid money and less money being spent on other activities there's plenty of dry cash burning a hole in lad's pockets. Most farming sectors are also doing fairly well atm and of course when there's a surplus of cash in farming we always look at ways to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Now is actually the time to bite the bullet and go new imo. A brand new dmax is €42,000.

€42k-€18k is €24k. 400,000km for €24k. To get the same value from €18k that jeep needs to do another 300,000kms on top of the 400 already done, and they are kms that you don't even know how hard they were. Big difference in 400,000 as a semi family car and a builders jeep.

I would buy new before I would buy that jeep.

I've briefly considered that as well but I don't know would it be the right decision either. On a purely euro for euro basis perhaps but €42k is an awful lot of money and keep everything else going as well. I do know that to buy the sort of jeep I'd like to get atm would cost in the region of €25k atm and it would be probably 5 years old and have circa 100,000km or more on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bought a jcb 310s 12 with 8k hours over 40k. Their over 120 new so I bit the bullet.

• Advertisement

I wish you the best of luck. I've always been over cautious since getting stung with unreliability and associated cost in the past. When I had no money I always found lots of things I could have bought and swore that I'd change it someday. As time went on and I managed to get a bit more backing I've become less eager to splash out for some reason.

If I settled to buy something and got started in paying for it I'd work it but I'm always reluctant to make the first step. It's not in the same league but I bought a nearly new Porter cattle trailer during the summer. I was looking at it on donedeal for a week while thinking it over before I was told to go and buy it and be done with it by the better half. I did just that and am delighted since although I'd just have easily have left it there otherwise and regretted it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Ya I don't mind buying second hand off a dealer I know, otherwise only buy second hand for small purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

See that’s the thing I’d never dream of buying new. It would be my luck to reverse the tractor into it and wreck it. I like to have things that are fairly fresh if I can but new wouldn’t be on my radar for much more than my trunks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I went looking in a scrap yard for a few bits for a LC, there was a 97 lwb there, it needed a clutch. It’s back on the road since.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement