Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I figured as much, I just thought I'd save your blushes by steering it back to a motorsports connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Tsunoda explains he was surprised to get another year in F1 with Alpha Tauri. Didn't see\read the interview but sounds like he is being modest.

Coulthard comes out and said "he should pack his little bag and go home, this is not the voice of a racing driver, after next year he has no place in F1".

Seems a bit strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Bit harsh from Coultard maybe, I think Tsunoda had performed as expected, competitive with his teammate in a non competitive car and has prob done enough to get another chance! Coultard is old stock from back when it was a prerequisite to be a bit c*nty if you wanted to be an F1 driver. Nothing wrong with Tsu being honest…. Provided he’s a prick on track of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do you think Tsunode has been competitive with Gasley? I don't think he's been within an ass's roar of Gasley this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

His debut and Baku are the only races where he's been remotely close to Gasly. He's lucky to get another year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Jesus absolute brainfart from me! My bad! I was thinking he’s with Williams for god knows what reason 🙈 no he hasn’t been competitive with Gasly…. I take it all back😂😂

It's just Alfa seat 2 that's left isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Technically Yep.

But theres quite a lot of reports that Guanyu Zhou has bought that seat for 35m.

It cant be announced until F2 season is over.

Makes sense for Haas to keep the 2 lads. This year's car isn't indicative of anything and it's all about next year for Haas. Schumacher has shown some potential, Mazepin hasn't shown much of anything good but he brings the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tsunoda was never in any danger really. Unless RB decided to parachute Albon into the AT or bring back Kvyat again. Neither were likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mazepin is on this week's Beyond the Grid. Comes across as quite normal and even likeable, surprisingly.

I would argue Albon is better than Tsunoda has been this season. But RB doesn't rate either Albon or Gasley so it's not surprising that they stuck with him through lack of options

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I too think Tsunoda is very lucky to get another year and understand where Coulthard is coming from. It's almost like Tsunado was hoping to be dropped and was surprised he was kept and he should have been very happy for that maybe praise the team and say he will do better instead he says he was surprised he was kept himself as he did not think he would be on the grid next year.

It was a bit harsh from Coulthard but he said that at Monza.

Tsunado should have just said he was surprised but then said what I said above.

As for Haas I agree with keeping the two drivers. It would have been harsh to drop them but next year they and the team will have to do better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Tsunoda was very quick in F2, Mazepin wasn't that quick at all. When Tsunoda came into F1 he did have a good race at the start but he is a little too hot headed, and is not thinking before he acts/speaks. He needs a mentor to give him the right focus, such as someone who is a past driver. Maybe Coultard should step up!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Imagine if Haas totally sacrifices the 2021 season, takes 2 years to develop the 2022 car, and they're still shyte when they rock up in 2022. They might as well sell to Mazepin and let him have a go at running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Wouldn't be surprised either. However, there was a period of time where Haas were handy enough n the midfield, but I think their inexperience really showed once their car had baked in imbalances.

I would like to see them do well, and for Schumacher to shine a bit more.

Amazing how agile and dart-y the cars looked compared to now. Had a quick look and I think the speed out of the tunnel was roughly the same then as now.

2005 fastest qualifying was 1:13.644 compared to 1:10.346 this year. Allowing for the rock-hard, grooved tyres then and the one-shot qualifying meaning the track didn't get as fast as it would now and it's one circuit cars are probably slower around now than 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes me too. I wonder how there method of doing things is going to work for next year as it really needed Ferrari to have some experience and designs of an old car that they could use. That's why they done OK in the beginning when they came in but next year will be different because they can not copy this years car and there is no previous car for next year. You would have to think they might be at a big disadvantage now but I hope to see them get back in the midfield somehow next year too as well as Alfa and Williams.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Miami Grand Prix will be on from the 6th - 8th of May next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Verstappen is taking the new engine so him and Leclerc will be starting from the back. Might make it interesting. How do they decide who starts dead last? Will it depend on quali? Leclerc's Ferrari looks quick in practice.

Edit: I meant to put this in the race thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Presuming it's by qualifying, unless it's by order of who received the penalty more recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think it's based on whoever takes their penalty first, as in goes to FIA and says we're putting in a new engine

That's why these things often aren't confirmed until the last minute

I'd presume it's a case of how many parts they replace. E.g. 10 places for ICE, 10 places for MGUK, 10 places for MGUH. Plus 3 places for verstappen. And then consider their qualification positions. So of they replace the same parts and verstappen qualifies more than 3 places ahead, thrnnid say max will start in 19th. But I could be wrong about that.

Here's some stats homework for you, since Gasly broke a long Mercedes-Benz/Ferrari/Red Bull hold on the top step, Alpha Tauri, Racing Point, Alpine and now McLaren have all had a taste of victory. Which of those teams has had the longest gap between victories? And just to be clear we are talking about Aston Martin>Racing Point>....>Jordan and Alpine>Renault >Lotus>...>Benetton and Alpha Tauri>Toro Rosso>Minardi and of course McLaren throughout.

Racing point to Jordan, I would have thought. Great question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Multiple teams with pitstop problems again at Sochi. Probably not all down to the ridiculous new regulations but there’s definitely been a very clear uptick in issues since they introduced the rule.

It was introduced under the spurious justification of “safety”, but the amount of pitstops going awry and putting cars out of position and more likely to get into incidents is surely a sign they need to revisit this if safety was actually the true intention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Lotus won some races with Kimi in 2012 I believe. McLaren has wins that year too, it was an extremely competitive season. Williams had a win that year too so if they somehow pull off a victory they will have a similar gap.

2008 at Monza was Toro Rosso’s last win, Vettel putting in one of the most impressive drives I’ve ever seen. 2008 was also Alfa Romeo / Sauber’s last win with Kubica in Canada, so would have a similar gap if they ever pull off the same feat again.

The chaotic 2003 Brazilian GP that Fisichella won on countback after Alonso’s big crash would have been Jordan’s last win before a long spell in the wilderness under different owners, so the biggest gap would be for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement