Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Lawless solo non-stop circumnavigation (weather discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Looks like he's given up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭millb

He has stopped for shelter to do a repair. Think he will not be ashore. This is from Instagram 3d ago explaining his steering problem and why he has gone for a repair -

Good morning from Waxwing, first of all everything is good onboard.

Was beating into 24 to 26 kn south and southwest winds yesterday a d noticed Waxwing kept going off course, I had just oiled the Aires wind vane Selfsteer, so checked that and all was working perfect, so I disengaged to hand steer and found a lot of play on the wheel, I had heard clunking noises earlier but put it down to something rolling around in a locker. Next I turned on my Raymarine electric auto pilot and it read could not detect rudder position or something similar to that. I hove too ( stopped the boat ) to inspect my steering system, to this I have to empty the aft locker, remove a screws in bulk head and go in under the cockpit floor . It wasn’t going to happen, the sea was still rough. I did mess about with the rudder sensor for the auto helm and at least got that working. That made me think I had taken a few big waves, one in Biscay and two in the last two days, the rudder might have taken the force of one of those waves? So my next decision was what to do?

The logical thing to do was run with the wind, still blowing 25 26 kn, so with the rig well balanced I set a course east and she’s holding it more or less, I hand steered and used the auto helm on and off.

I got so upset I cried for ages I was disappointed, ashamed, angry, it was awful, but I’ve been thinking, the rudder and bearings are all redone so it’s definitely not them, if a Linkage broke or came off I can maybe repair iI, so it’s not over, I will anchor in a bay and climb in and see what’s wrong, if I can safely repair it all is still good . I also have a emergency tiller, so can hand steer with that too, so there is no danger. I don’t want anybody getting worried, I have full control of Waxwing. It would have be stupid or irresponsible to try for the canaries.

More updates as I have them.3d

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

He has gone live on Facebook a few times, including this evening. He's anchored just off Praia da Rocha and has found the problem with the steering. He'll be fixing it in the morning and probably be heading back out soon after. He left Ireland one week early so he's happy that he'll still be on schedule. He's convinced that stopping to fix the steering before heading on towards the Canaries and Cabo Verde was the right choice.

https://fb.watch/7W7HRpzsRG/

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭millb

He is back at sea earlier today. He never went ashore.

Updates on https://www.instagram.com/peterlawlesssolononstop/

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

according to his facebook, he had steering problems again, this time he couldn't fix it himself and had to pull into the marina in the canaries. what this means for his attempt I don't know. He could start the attempt again from the canaries I guess. he really has had rotten luck. oh yeah, and there's a bit of a volcano issue in the canaries right now. hoping he stays safe.

• Advertisement

He's been parked up in the marina in Santa Cruz, Tenerife, for a few days now, well removed from the volcano in La Palma.

In today's blog he said he got let down by an engineer yesterday so is trying to sort out a solution with a UK company. He will.ipload a video update on YouTube at 6 pm.

Video update of the journey from Portimão to Tenerife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxhDXYcGds

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

He's decided to head back to Ireland and try again next year.

Advertisement