Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you rent on minimum wage?

• 24-09-2021 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Let alone survive overall? I earn €450 a week after tax. I'll probably have to leave the family home and live by myself. I'm in my mid-20s and currently doing a journalism course in DCU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

you could house share

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

You may qualify for HAP which is a housing assistance payment where a portion of your rent is paid by the government.

Are you a full time student - Im not sure if full time students qualify for this payment.

If I was you though I would try to stay at home for as long as you can and try and save for the future. I hope all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I would think no, not unless you house share. Couple of the people I work with house share and are paying 100 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 maeve99

How many people would you be house sharing with?

I definitely didn't mean by yourself obviously. I have friends from who graduated and none of them, bar one guy with a degree in Law is renting on his own in Dublin. Most of them moved abroad and others are house sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PSFarrell

Your monthly net salary would €1950. If you were spending around a third of your income on rent you could find a room in Dublin in the suburbs with 3 or 4 people sharing. Renting on your own would not be feasible but most people I know who were just out of college would share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

1950 net monthly.

750 rent for a room in a share.

100 bills/mobile.

300 food.

800 other/transport/entertainment/medical

Seems doable until you start raking it in writing articles about the cost of accommodation in the indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Fair play working over 50 hours a week while studying. Which I think is what you'd have to do to earn 450 per week on minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

• Registered Users Posts: 43 maeve99

Haha... I just worked full time over the summer. I'm going back to college and will only be working part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Oh ok that makes more sense. Still, if you were on minimum wage you must have been working well over the normal working week if you were getting 450 after tax.

But anyway, on to the topic at hand - as others have mentioned, it's feasible if you're house sharing, but most likely not if you want to live completely alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

4 people in total living in both houses. But the girls I know are renting the smallest room and sharing the main bathroom. I would assume the double room ensuite would be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Minimum wage is 10.20 per hour. Aldi offer 12.30 per hour and any of them I have seen are looking for staff even part time.

If you have been working full time and now going back to part time you should be entitled to any tax back from the government.

Even back in the early 90's everyone went into house shares for uni/college. It was the standard so I don't see why that would change now.

When I was in college many years ago I worked part time in tesco, no minimum wage then and I was on 2 pound something an hour, which was supposed to increase after 12 months but they wouldn't increase it and told me to lump it. Stay on current or find another job in another company

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Honestly in in strictly immediate financial terms you'd be better off on social welfare than minimum wage if you don't own a house.

Most people in that situation do choose to work though, and as others have said, rent a room in a houseshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭baldbear

€450 after tax & doing a college course is great money if you ask me. But I'm just a poor man. I rented from Athlone to Raheny until 2016. Never would I dream of renting on my own unless I was in a relationship. In 2015 me and the Mrs were paying €900 for a 1 bed apartment in Howth.

Things are pretty crazy in the rental market at the moment but you would get something for €600 a month house share.

Or just move to Longford and buy a house there.

Advertisement