Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The walking dead .. most of the wests car industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gatorcar

With Teslas soon being made in Germany, will that mean they will be cheaper in relation to taxes, as they are are being made in the EU as opposed to the USA? Like no 10% import duty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

I couldn't keep watching as yer man's undersized shirt looks rediculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Why is ridiculous misspelled so often?

It's defiantly a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I think you'll just see the mainstreaming of EVs from the big brands in the next few years.

They're not really that likely to suddenly just be wiped out. They've huge economies of scale in manufacturing, distribution and very strong design and branding capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think it will be more gradual, there is still resistance in countries like Germany as they dont think twice about driving 1,000km or driving to the French coast for their holliers so that would be off putting for now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yes, but I doubt they'll just drop the price by 10% or whatever. If demand continues to exceed supply, you can bet they'll just keep selling at the same price and pocket the tax difference.

You're definitely right that there's resistance right now, but the shift to electric is gaining momentum. The pure EV market in Ireland has gone from under 1% in 2018 to over 7% this year. Don't underestimate the network effect of all those extra EV owners telling friends that it was a good decision and yes, you can actually travel long distances.

Two years ago, we had to do some serious planning to get anywhere outside of 100 km from home. Compare that with a month ago, when we drove from Donegal to Waterford in six hours (including an hour for lunch). We didn't wait around charging any longer than it took to go to the bathroom, and the charging at lunchtime (on Ionity) was practically finished by the time we'd sat down with our food.

It sometimes feels like slow progress, but the EV infrastructure everywhere is really improving. I'm looking forward to a trip to London at the end of October to see how the UK's network is coming on. Check out Gridserv's setup in Braintree - as people see these locations popping up, any resistance they had to EVs will fall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Would be great if Tesla's came down in price for us if they set up production in Europe but I won't hold my breath.

If they want everyone to be driving EV's then everyone needs to be alone to afford to drive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since they never sold their $35k model 3, as they could make more money on more expensive versions, I don't see them doing much apart from announcing their $25k vehicle, but you won't be able to buy a $25k Tesla new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

Not only will the Tesla price not come down, it’s gone up.

the model 3 LR (the only Tesla you need) is near as dammit €65k now, or €70k if you’re using their financing.

it’s bonkers.

as for “the Wests” Kodak moment, if you check the data, VW sold more ID4’s here in Ireland from March to July than Tesla has ever sold in Ireland ever across all their models.

”the West” is very much awake to this, and cars like the ID4 are right in the sweet spot of range, functionality and price. why would anyone buy a Tiguan is the real question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

The west includes America ( def )

as per the OP : Serious Kodak moment for some ** big names coming over the next 3 years. Eg GM, FORD, BMW etc

** Not VW, Tesla or Volvo or anyone who is all in on electric

When the Chinese avalanche of cheap EVs hits over the next few years its curtains for ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I have to ask again, what is the absolute obsession with Teslas? They are total shytboxes as regards materials and build quality?!

The big car conglomerates are making huge leaps to be out of ICE earlier than anticipated or demanded. Its far more likely that they will have the economies of scale to invest in development and keep their prices lower and therefore eat the lunch of the likes of Tesla quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm a tesla owner and it's a bit disingenuous to call them shyteboxes. The materials used are pretty decent. The leather seats in my model 3 are very comfortable, electrically adjustable and heated (all 5 are heated). The build quality is good....not brilliant but not as bad as you make out.

The software is streets ahead of anything else. So quick, user friendly and intuitive to use. To put it in context my wife has a new BMW 840d and the screen on it looks like something from the 80's with more buttons scattered around the cabin than a jumbo jet!!

The Tesla charging network is a thing of beauty. Reverse in, plug in and you are charging in less than 10 seconds at high speed. Everything can be controlled off the app which is also incredibly user friendly. A friend dropped me a pin on Google maps on Monday past. I clicked on the link, shared it to the car and a couple of seconds later it was on the display screen. So simple.

Have a read on the ev forum about the ID3 and ID4 software problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gatorcar

Hi mfceiling, just wondering as you are already an ev over with a model 3, I assume you are an ev convert, what are you doing with a new 840d? Genuinely curious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Na the real question is Why would anyone buy a VW when they could have Audi if they were buying for the badge and prestige or a Skoda Enyaq if not which is much nicer than the VWs and cheaper as well as better equipped.

The Renault Megane Ev will be cheaper than the VWs too and better in every way. It will outsell both the VWs.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

People buy into brands -

Styling / materials , whatever - a lot of people like VW ,

Will the Megan be much cheaper than an Id 3? Probably not much .

Better ? Depends on the buyer ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

I smell Hyperbole.

What'll kill a car company is a lack of people with money to buy its products. It needs to keep producing new cars to stay in business - and all companies are governed by this. Cars are fast reaching the point of non-affordability for people to own and operate - or are being propped up the PCP Ponzi schemes. I don't actually know where the money comes from if it's never actually paid off.....

Anyway.

That'll kill Tesla as fast as it'll kill BMW.

Modern car combanies are not going to get Kodak'd. What happened to Kodak is the exact opposite of what people think. As digital started to become a thing, Kodak positioned itself as an Imaging company, rather than as a Film company. They made digital cameras that could dock with printers and would give you the exact same photos you normally got from the chemist. This was great until Whatsapp came along and people no longer wanted printed photos to show off. Fujifilm, on the other hand, realised that all their film experience made them a 'chemical' company, and they moved into stuff like cosmetics, and also still produce digital cameras and instant film.

Anyway, for one thing - the transition away from dinosaur burners has been well telegraphed, so it can be planned for and product and technology roadmaps drawn up.

• Advertisement

According to management of Renault they aim for Megane to be 4 to 6% cheaper with more scope for dealer discounts and better like for like specification across the trim levels along with more aggressive financing deals. It will do well but many people will continue buying the VAG product even if the real world range in the Renault is better. Renault 5 and 4 are following on from the Megane. VAG and Renault will survive. BMW and Mercedes will have to hope their "Brand" is strong enough to carry them through. I can see Ford retrenching to U.S. like GM.

That electric viking youtuber is just a shill for Tesla and avoid him.

There's a wooden horse at the gates .. drag it in quick

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

More copy and pasting of EV fanboy youtuber videos. Riveting stuff. I'll never look at kitchen appliances in the same light again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Indeed.

So literally nothing to worry about, frankly.

Chinese quality is, and will remain, suspect. I've imported vehicles (and other stuff) from China, btdt, have the T-shirt.

And shipping costs now being what they are ($15k a container now versus €1100 a couple of years ago), means landed costs will be higher. Which means the gap between those and EU made ones will be smaller.

One thing the whole pandemic and Suez crisis has brought home is that manufacturing now needs to take place closer to consumption. Having entire production lines running slow or closed for the want of a €1 part from the other side of the world has exposed the JIT model as not infallible.

This is why you see the like of chip manufacturers rushing to build capacity in the EU & US.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They major car makers would need to take note. China is a big threat to thenm in the future. I remember (barely) the huge UK auto industry looking down on Japanese cars. Too tinny, not safe too rusty, about 10 years later they were almost wiped out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a huge difference between the engineering ethos of Japan & China tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I wouldn't say nothing to worry about, don't see car companies collapsing because of them but they could well take a chunk of market share.

A lot of the components have to com from China anyway.

And in terms of quality reviews indicate it to be decent enough so long as they can meet safety standards and are cheap they will sell, look at dacias hardly high quality but they sell well.

Yea now but my point is Japan was once in the marketplace as is China is now. Things change some younger people on this forum don't remember when Japanese meant cheap and poor quality.

Dacia was one of the most reliable cars in a survey in the UK! Dacia seems to be in the place where Skoda was 30 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭josip

Advertisement