Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your List of Worst British Comedies

Options
  • 23-09-2021 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭

Following on from a reference in another thread, what British comedies do you hate/dislike the most?

Here are ones that spring to mind for me:

Last of the Summer Wine - Number 1 in any of my lists!

Hi-de-Hi

Allo Allo

It Aint Half Hot Mum - I did give it a chance for a while and then I thought what am I doing with myself!

Citizen Smith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

You can always tell a British comedy by it not being funny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heil Honey I'm Home has to be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not really fair. Of course there are lots and lots of unfunny British comedies, but most of the best comedies are British also. Fawlty Towers, Royle Family, The Office, Spaced, Blackadder, Phoenix Nights, to name but a few off the top of my head.

Gavin & Stacey, Only Fools & Horses - yes, but they're the exceptions that prove the rule. They're also mostly quite old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Miranda is awful. Also thought Dad's Army was pure crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

is mrs brown's boys British...if so then that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmm, Citizen Smith captures that whole absurdity of a 1970s urban revolutionary brilliantly! There is plenty of really awful and completely non-PC stuff from the early seventies. Last of the Summer Wine would be on my list, never got its popularity at all. The Brittas Empire would also be on it. Mrs Brown too, even though I know it appeals to a lot of people. To finish off the list I'd add Lunch Monkeys and an Amanda Holden thing called Mad about Alice.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,976 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh No it's Selwyn Froggitt.

On the Buses.

Goodnight Sweetheart.

Last of the summer wine was sh1t

Dishonourable mention Mrs Brown

Didn't particularly like Keeping Up Appearances, one joke: snobby housewife vs dole jockey relatives done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

2 point 4 children it ran for a bizarrely long time and was truly awful.

Last of the summer wine was tripe...how many times can a group of old men go down a hill in a bathtub with some tuba music in the background...

Allo Allo makes me laugh though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Us remake will likely be even worse...there remakes are generally abysmal...skins...Kath and Kim...Gavin and Stacey...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

I saw a thing called Semi Detached last night with Lee Mack in it. Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gavin and Stacey - mind numbingly boring storylines and poorly acted hammy rubbish... nothing funny about it.

Miranda - not a single character was likable or relatable just a bunch of really annoying people and the set looked like it might fall apart if you put the radio on too loud.. Miranda = quirky is not the same as Miranda = funny....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Most Roy Clarke sitcoms always left me cold:

He wrote the aforementioned "Last Of The Summer Wine", as well as "Oh No! It's Selwyn Froggit", "Open All Hours" and "Keeping Up Appearances".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Summer Wine in its heyday was very funny I thought, a bit obvious and repetitive at times but Bill Owen, Brian Wilde, Peter Sallis, Kathy Staff, that era but by the time it finished it was clearly just a poor and unfunny pastiche of its past, the humor was forced, the acting poor and hammy... Roy Clarke should have known when to finish, he didn’t... Russ Abbot was fûcking beyond dreadful in it, as was Brian Murphy, neither could act, the originals certainly could act and the writers trying to slowly turn Glenda into her mother was a dreadful and not good weird idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Love to see a list of Irish comedies.

The formulaic stuff repeated over the decades like George and Mildred, Ever decreasing circles, Terry and June, Keeping Up Appearances, etc are dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

80-90% of those are awful anyway.

Way more misses than hits.

it's hard to judge stuff from that far back though that was really popular at the time like Dads Army, Steptoe, On The Buses, etc - it made me laugh at the time (then again I was < 10 for most of it) but now it mostly looks very meh. Audience tastes have changed greatly from that kind of holiday park humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Outnumbered.

Benidorm.

Blackadder.

'Allo 'Allo

Comedy is so subjective though, what I find funny, someone else will think diabolical. We can't all like the same things. I love Friday Night Dinner but know that some people would rather pull their toenails out than watch it.

Any of those middle class comedies from the BBC with Judi Dench or Geoffrey Palmer,I couldnt stand them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It seems that I could be in a minority in liking Keeping Up Appearances. It would not feature in my Top 10 of all time, but I do get a laugh out of it. Ditto for George and Mildred.

There is a point well made by a poster about audience's tastes changing. I think my own taste changed in relation to Dad's Army. I liked it when I first saw the series, but, over the years, I have gone off it. It's a bit like the chewing gum losing it's taste! I would hesitate to put it in the top tier of worst comedies, but it could be on the reserve list!

As regards Open All Hours, I have to say I liked it quite a bit. I think it was Ronnie Barker that made it. However, the recent sequel series Still Open All Hours is awful, or at least the bit I saw.

On the Buses was just bland. I didn't hate it but I wasn't particularly mad about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

'Allo 'Allo is a classic though it did get repetitive in the last few seasons. If you had seen the earlier show that it parodied it was even funnier.

Someone mentioned It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

I heard an interview with Sanjeev Bhaskar recently who said that that programme was very popular among the Indian community.

Even though Alan Bates may well have played the part of an Indian, in blackface, but he spoke fluent Hindi and dropped phrases and sentences in Hindi into the script which gave the Indian audience much amusement.

That was me that mentioned it, in my original post! It made me cringe I have to say, but, basically, I just did not it find it funny. It was Michael Bates, by the way, not Alan Bates!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps. There was a time when this was quite popular and I could never figure out why.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Orrible with Johnny Vaughan certainly lived up to its name. There was a Rowan Atkinson one called The Thin Blue Line which was pretty sh!te.

Post edited by silliussoddius on

Yep. Michael Nates, who was also the original cast member of LOTSW. Mental note: always check😫😁

• Advertisement

Advertisement