Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Seen a video made by a UK lorry driver only last week and he said the average age of lorry driver's over there is 55. Young lads won't live in a lorry cab now and be gone from their families for days at a time and also the pay is poor enough for the conditions and responsibilities of the job.

After all the good weather we've for about the last two months, is it a bit chilly this evening?

Haven't done it yet, but does anyone else have the heating on yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I see Wonderlights is back this year, but in the grounds of Malahide Castle. The photos from 2019 looked great. The tickets aren't available for it yet, but you can sign up on the website, to be notified when they go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Thanks Andrew for asking I am in the same boat as you my little one the same age as yours

Your more organised then me though I haven’t started yet 👍

elves brilliant suggestions you are legends

Morning everyone

I know we say it every year.. but I this year most of the time I don’t know what date it is most of the time only realised October is next week till Posy said it in another thread

Got good news yesterday home improvements happening the middle of October I can’t wait I literally did a dance!!

just heard Ryan Tubridy say Smyths catalog is out

littlehorney I thought it was just me yesterday evening I was feeling the cold. We have the heating on each morning already.

CL glad you enjoyed the break I heard the spa is fab

OH bought a tin of Foxes biscuits Friday they are gone since yesterday didn’t last the week 😂 I think I will start picking up some bits non perishables the middle to end of October or I might do an online shop and get it delivered to my mothers then we can’t eat it

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

October crept up quick on us! I think I'm reasonably sorted for Halloween. Elf wants to wear last years costume so that means I can focus on Christmas.

I got our first tree ornament of our new home the other day and going to book a few Christmas activities as well. He's 9 so I hope I've a couple more years of the magic but I think Irish kids get longer on that, I remember reading a thread on a British forum and the average age for finding out was about 6. Sure you are only getting properly into the magic of Santa at that age!

On the import stuff, the issue for Ireland will not as severe as the UK but we will still be affected. There's two routes lorries to Ireland can take - so ferries from EU are grand now, but in the winter with storms or sea conditions delays could ensue. Then any lorries coming via the land bridge of the UK, the UK have recently altered some of their customs processes (don't know exactly what - it was explained to me by a person who does know their stuff but was a bit too technical for me) so we will have some shortages/delays with some supply lines. It won't be as dire as the UK, but no harm to have a contingency plan in the freezer or store cupboard just in case. And toy-wise, I'd get those especially locked in early. It'll probably be fine, but we saw with the bog roll and supermarket panic last year, some eejits stockpile beyond what they could ever use and ruin it for everyone so being organised early like we are on this thread is just smart really.

All good if it's for charity, hope it is.

Like us all here I'm as big a fruit and nut fan of Christmas as anyone but even I think this is too early.

Nov 1st, perfect for these lit up houses that take donations for charities. Not trying to be bad, but are this couple trying to get a bit of attention for themselves by being first? 😏😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The house raises money for children’s cancer treatments. So he can put them up as early as he wants IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just booked tickets for Wild Lights. Hopefully it'll be a nice evening out. Going to bring our little boy this year so hopefully he enjoys it 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We don't have kids so we won't be desperate for anything really.

We'd just get bits as normal during Octobrr for cakes, puddings and sweets/biscuits. We do intend on cutting down on the tubs this year. However we said that last year as well.

We did purchase a Frozen Turkey crown at Aldi this morning. So, if your looking for one there in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Looks like there won't be a shortage of sprouts anyway. Spotted these in Dunnes this morning!

Christmas sweets and treats in Lidl Thursday 30th September

https://www.lidl.ie/c/christmas-sweets-treats/c303/w2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just noticed Sony classic is now Great movies Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Carraig Donn have 25% off most items. A few nice Christmas pieces there https://www.carraigdonn.com/search?page=4&q=Christmas+

New Kelly Clarkson Christmas tune...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I can confirm this. Mr. CL is a haulage contractor & it's a tough tough job. People think it is just sitting in a lorry driving from A to B. In reality, it's days away from home, up driving all hours of the day and night, using your 45 minute breaks to offload so you've enough driving hours to make the boat, missing the boat because customs won't let you go in time, dealing with people who don't understand or don't want to understand why you are a few minutes late because traffic was blocked because of an accident, but they finish at 5pm & you won't be there until 5.10pm so you'll have to come back tomorrow etc. I could go on! And then there is the paperwork....the paperwork alone is enough to fill one person's 40 working hour week 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Not sure how I feel about that song...

I like the tune of the song but the lyrics are a bit off my Christmas ideal.

Fair play to her though, anyone who's had a recent breakup might be a fan and she's just gone through a divorce.

Listening to the news on ITV this morning & they were saying there's a 90k shortage of haulage drivers in the UK alone... throw brexit and all its added complexities for the transportation of goods into that mix and that's one big mess... fingers crossed we're not as badly affected as we head into winter.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've booked Wild Lights 😊

It's really feeling like it could be an almost 'normal' Christmas, doesn't it?

When we told the kids yesterday after they came in from school that we had them booked for the same weekend of the LLTS, Our decorations going up and Christmas FM launching they got so excited it was infectious... counting down the days to that weekend now (9 weeks today is the LLTS & our decorations going up)

We booked a Monday so will surprise him by springing him from school. Bad parenting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Take whatever day/time you can get. Heard it on the radio this morning that 90% of the slots are fully booked up already. Really looking forward to it now. We're not doing a santa experience for the first time since they were too young for Santa so felt we needed to do something like this to take its place.

The U.K. government has issued a don’t panic buy plea. The first thing that happens after they do that, people rush to petrol stations and now most petrol stations in the U.K. are out of petrol.

Aw that will be lovely! Kids love getting out of school early, especially for a surprise! We did it with ours last year for the Flight Before Christmas & it really added to the excitement! And sure, once he's in in the morning, it won't be counted as an absence 😜

I'd love to spring him out at 10 am, great idea! I do this thing sometimes when I pick him up where I fake-yell "Quick!! Get in the car, I'll explain on the way!!" like we are in a a movie. And he rolls his eyes at the sheer mortification of having a nutter for a mother.

A mystery tour. I like that a lot!!

This time next month it will be a Bank Holiday Weekend, this time two months it will be Black Friday and possibly the night of The Late Late Toy Show also and this time three months we'll hopefully have a good Christmas Eve and and we'll all be enjoying ourselves!

• Advertisement

Dealz Today!

Advertisement