Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Countdown 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The use of the term ‘Xmas’ dates back to the 16th century. The ‘X’ in the word Xmas comes from the ancient Greek language. In Greek, Christ begins with the letter X. So, Xmas simply means Christmas.

Alabama was the first state in the US to recognize Christmas as a holiday in the year 1836. 

Last Christmas by Wham is released in 1984. It achieved number two in the British Charts. It was beaten by Band Aid who got the Number 1 slot. Wham donated all there royalties to the Ethiopian Famine.

The Christmas edition of the RTE Guide in 1995 featured Dinny Byrne from Glenroe. It ran from December 16th to 29th and was priced at £1.80. There was a chance to win an Opel Corsa and Vectra. Sister Act was on Christmas Eve followed by Glenroe. On Christmas Day it's self we had Eurovision Mass for Christmas Day, Mary Poppins, The Den at Christmas, The Lyrics Board. (Guests included Dana, Daniel O'Donnell, Sndie Kelly, Johnny Logan). This was followed by Home Alone 2. That night we had Coronation Street, Upwardly Mobile, Riverdance and a film called Strictly Ballroom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Call cards and Glenroe..........full on nostalgia!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think it basically had a few European Choirs and it was broadcasted in other European countries and Mary Kennedy presented it!

Sticking with the callcard theme Today.

Love Actually was released in November 2003. Mean the kids who were born when it came out are now can vote, drink, etc.

I remember when it came out my siblings went to see it just a few days before Christmas and I was at home all excited about Santa and doing some decorating.

• Advertisement

During the Tudor period mince pies were rectangular and this represented the manger that baby Jesus was in. They contained 13 ingredients and this represented Jesus and his disciples. The contained fruit, lamb or mutton for the Shepard's and Spices for the Wise men.

always loved that image. I used the same one for week 22 in the countdown. Its one of my favourites in the year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The picture just instantly gives you that warm cosy feel.

Here it is without the text written over it. Love it. Its one of the images I have in my christmas screensaver that I start using from Nov. 1st (give or take a day or two)

In 1992 the most popular Christmas gifts were WWF Action Figures, Thunderbirds’ Tracy Island, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, The Littlest Pet Shop and Slap Braclets.

The reason we associate poinsettias with the Christmas comes from an old Mexican legend. A girl named Pepita was sad that she didn’t have a gift to leave for the baby Jesus. Her cousin tried to comfort her and said that Jesus would love any present. With no money to buy a real gift, Pepita picked a bouquet of weeds that she walked past on the way to church. When she got there, she left the weeds at the bottom of the nativity scene. All of a sudden, the weeds transformed into beautiful red flowers.

Discontinued Varieties of Cadbury's Roses include Brazilian Darkness, Praline Moment, Chunky Truffle, Bournville, Almond Charm, Coffee Creme, Montelimar, Marzipan, Turjish Delight, Nitty Truffle Log, Orange Crisp, Chocolate Bite and Noisette Whirl.

The fastest time to decorate a Christmas tree is 36.89 seconds and was achieved by Sharon Juantuah in Essex, on 22 November 2013. To properly obtain the record, the tree had to be decked with 100 lights, 2 lengths of tinsel, and 15 baubles.

Just focus on the 88 bit!

The Coca-Cola Holidays are coming ad first aired in 1995!

• Advertisement

Joulutorttu(Yuke Tart) is a Finnish Christmas pastry. It is made from puff pastry in the shape of a star and is filled with Prune jam.

Viewers of the Christmas edition of Saturday Morning with James Martin on 8 December last year saw James and a second contestant, Galton Blackiston go head-to-head to claim the title of Fastest time to assemble a yule log.

Broadcast live on British channel ITV, James won the contest and set the record with a time of 1 minute 17 seconds.

The Christmas number one in Ireland in

2011 Little Mix ''Cannonball''.

2001 Kate Winslet ''What If''.

1991 Queen ''Bohemian Rhapsody''.

1981 ABBA ''One of Us''.

1971 Tommy Drennan ''O Holy Night''.

Lads, its October!! OCTOBER!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yes that’s it. It was called Eurovision because it was available to broadcast throughout the EBU (European Broadcast Union)

we have had a few more recent Eurovision masses in recent years. Always a huge amount of time and effort to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went for a swim this afternoon. The water was beautiful but very cold when I came out.

• Advertisement

Was swimming in the sea in Wexford recently and you definitely get to a stage where it is warmer in the water then out!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement