Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone believe Micheal Martin will lead FF beyond December 2022?

• 22-09-2021 7:01pm

I always assumed that Martin was going to step down as FF leader in late 2022 but he obviously wouldn't say so publicity and become a lame duck leader, however I wonder if he could be deluded enough to think that he'll have a chance of becoming Taoiseach again in 2025 and not end up with the title of shortest serving Taoiseach ever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

He'll be doing well to last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I reckon he is stubborn enough to try and stick it out but the knives will be out for him if he doesn't name a date for handing over the leadership position.

But then is anyone interested in taking the job leading a party which will no doubt get hammared in the next election.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CETA vote may take the Government down, but they'll get enough through the lobbies for the budget so there's very little chance of an early end - other than if a lot of Greens leave on CETA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He will be gone and I don't think the government will last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Does it really matter? I mean we are really ruled from Brussels? Out with one stooge and in with the next. My money is on the littlest Bilderberg Coveney.

• Advertisement

The Simon Community won't get his hands on the top prize, Zapponegate has seen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He probably will as the party is talentless as well as rudderless so no one wants the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Classy reference to the Simon Community, well done to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well we shouldn't have too long to find out. If he doesn't intend to lead FF into the next election there's no way he's going to spend the second half of the government term as tanaiste and clearly he can't spring that as a surprise on his last day as taoiseach. So we should know by next summer at the latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think it's valid enough to say why people will vote for all the other parties except FF other than quote their father and their grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,773 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Chance is he might... there is not a cast of outstanding leadership talent in the FF ranks from what I can tell..at least none that seem outwardly appealing to the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

On one hand I don’t think he is very popular and is seen as a weak leader by many voters. On the other hand I can’t think of anyone in FF for the leadership role. MM was always a mistake as a leader. I can’t see MM as Taoiseach in 2025. The electorate has had enough of FF and FG and FF have not gotten any more popular since they got into government.

This stuff makes me laugh. Of course they all want it; they wouldn't be in politics otherwise. Was there any shortage of candidates for the Tory leadership during the new Labour era?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

He's had his Jolly Jaunt to new york, UN etc, (Cringe Fest), doubt if anyone actually recognised him, not sure of the timing of Leo actually becoming real Taoiseach again (as opposed to pretend) roll he's being playing for the past year, but if MM could get to the white house for paddy's day, then he'll head off into the sun set.

Honestly, I'm doubting this Government will last till Christmas, the only thing that might prolong it, is the absolute pile of Poo heading the countries way and I'd doubt other parties would want to be overseeing this pile of Gik, they'll prefer to watch on and deliver daily kickings (most of it deserved) from the sidelines.

I'd be shocked if MM or Leo will lead anything going into the next GE when it comes.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The party has chosen not to mount a heave against MM at every opportunity, beit the disastrous bye election in Dublin Bay South or the continously awful polling results for the party

They clearly don't want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

MM got FF back into the government and also became Taoiseach after the party was crippled following the crash.

Yet we have people complaining on the internet about how terrible he is :-)

If people actually looked into his history he has done more as one politician than all of the current opposition combined, yet he gets called a "lame duck leader". If anyone can tell me something an opposition TD or leader has achieved to rival MM? I would love to hear.

Having leadership aspirations does not mean mounting a heave at any sniff of weakness in the current leader. The guy who initiates the heave rarely inherits the crown himself. Right now the politic think to do for any wannabe FF leader is to sit tight and wait for Martin to step down. If it becomes clear he genuinely does intend to lead the party into the next GE, them you may well see action by Jim O'Callaghan or others.

He was utterly ineffective in every ministry bar the smoking ban ,FF performed way below expectations at the last election, it's such a big party ,it was always going to come back after 2011

Nothing to do with MM

Since 1989 he has been elected by the people in his area, so they seem to think he is ok. The smoking ban alone is more than any other opposition party has achieved. Of course he has others.

After the crash a huge amount of people predicted the end of FF, he now has them leading the country. Not sure why you would try to belittle that achievement along with the rest

• Advertisement

I just find it interesting that people always have to try and belittle someone who has spent a career been a TD and helping people not just in his area but across Ireland.

In terms of MM I think he will probably retire after his stay as Taoiseach, he has achieved his goal and can retire either to the back bench's or out of politics altogether with a record as I mentioned way better than thousands of current and former TD's.

FF will be aware as a party they need some new leader, MM has got them back to the top but to stay at the top it should be a different person

A well trained collie with a FF shirt on could get elected in much of the country if the party nominated it

The party has such a wide and deep presence all over the country, it was not going to disappear

The man has no leadership skills ,no passion, vision or even wisdom

If you think so, I think Ireland is full of highly intelligent and educated people and know their own mind to vote how they see fit. They have decided to vote MM for many years and vote him right to the top.

In terms of the party disappearing, you should check the government thread here and on it daily we have SF supporters tell anyone who will listen that FF are no longer a party and no longer have any supporters.

SO which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a real possibility that after they're hammered in the next election we could see an O' Cuiv or his ilk take the leadership as FF become the lapdogs in a coalition with Sinn Fein (along with a smattering of the rest of loonier end of the left). If it wasn't so scary, it'd be hilarious to see how badly such a government would screw things up but at least a spell in power should neuter Sinn Fein for another couple of decades when their supporters realise they were lied to.

They don't want to be forced to claim ownership of the mess that is the current government and also the Covid situation.

The covid situations which has saved hundred of thousands of people?

Let's not get carried away, I don't think even the zero covid nuts said that "hundred of thousands" would die.

The one that caused deaths in nursing homes and the one that caused a spike in cases after they were warned against opening up for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mikethecop

relax shinnerbots ye are still a couple of years away from having yer chance to pillage the country a couple of decades away at best

• Advertisement

Remind me who was shouting about Open the pubs :-)

Mistakes got made but I think everyone can be thank ful for the government response to covid, looking at other countries we have been very lucky and the vaccine program was a huge success

Advertisement